The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

If anyone wants some context and background information on Of mice and men . Please PM me as I can help :smile:
Original post by midgetjems_
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if you don't quote the highest you can get is an E. Been drilled into my class since year 9.

Great, thanks, really needed to hear that!!!!
Do references to plot events count as close reference to the text or am I just screwed?!
Original post by Steliata
Do references to plot events count as close reference to the text or am I just screwed?!

Well according to the mark scheme if you don't quote you can only get 7-9 marks on a 20 mark question

A quote has to be something actually written in the book so references which aren't exact probably won't count. You'll probably remember more quotes than you think you do though. Read though some of the book tonight and some quotes will just stick. Good luck for your exam!
(edited 8 years ago)

My teacher also told us that we don't need quotes, and he used to be an English Lit examiner (although i don't know if I completely trust him if I'm being honest)
He said that so long as we give specific events relating to the points, it would count. I'd try and remember some quotes as well though, just in case, but if you can't then reference the plot events but try and be as specific as possible. But as a lot of people have pointed out, it's best to get some quotes in to be safe.

If all else fails: put quote marks around words/phrases you think are in the book. I doubt the examiners know the novel word for word, so chances are if it sounds about right, they'll accept it.
(edited 8 years ago)

you need to actually quote the text, but dont worry just pepper words in there, I haven't learnt any yet and I'm predicted A*it will come to you thats what I find-hopefully.
Original post by RebeccaHollins
A quote has to be something actually written in the play so references which aren't exact probably won't count. You'll probably remember more quotes than you think you do though. Read though some of the book tonight and some quotes will just stick.

Ture however
If there was a question " how is violence presented in Of mice and men " you can still get high marks by close referencing I.e when George shoots Lennie or when Lennie crushes Curlys hand , you can still get high marks

But its good to have a least 2-3 quotes per character and per theme
Reply 208
i read that hands have a significance in the novella, could someone tell me more about this please?
what would you write for crooks as they think he will come us as he is context based?
Original post by hazzer1998
Ture however
If there was a question " how is violence presented in Of mice and men " you can still get high marks by close referencing I.e when George shoots Lennie or when Lennie crushes Curlys hand , you can still get high marks

But its good to have a least 2-3 quotes per character and per theme

Okay thankyou!
Original post by sophiee_thomas
what would you write for crooks as they think he will come us as he is context based?

Unlikely, he came up in a 'how is -- presented' question a year or two ago I think.

But if he did come up, I'd talk about the discrimination he faces and how this leads to his loneliness. His cynicism towards the American Dream (as seen when he scorns Lennie for believing he'll get his land) and then I'd probably contrast this with how he has a dream anyway - a life like the one he had in his childhood, and how he wants this to come true despite the fact that he knows it won't (and talk about discrimination again for this, because it's 1930s society's attitudes towards black disabled people that will prevent him from getting this dream).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
I hope so, that would be a really good question and a godsent

I think Curley's wife is the most likely character. Curley came up in june 2013, crooks came up last year, in 2012 it was lennie. george and candy may also come up.
Lucky you, you might get your target grade...

you'll be absolutely fine! you don't even need to use that many, just show you know the story :smile:
18th May 2015 English Literature Unit 1 Exploring modern texts

OMAM: The question will ask you to describe Candy, referring closely to the passage.

The passage is unknown yet.

Don't ask where I got this from. AQA connections benefits.
Original post by shrl0
i read that hands have a significance in the novella, could someone tell me more about this please?

I never noticed this but thanks, I'm assuming its:
-Lennie and his 'paws'.
-Slim and 'His hands, large and lean, were as delicate in their action as those of a temple dancer'
-Candy lost his right hand-symbolises world takes but doesn't give back.
-Curley wears a glove with Vaseline, also they always seem to be in a fist, which is ironic as he is keeping his hand soft for his wife.
-Crooks hands are pink.
-Curley's wife's have red nails-danger.

They are known as hands on the ranch, seen as nothing else just workers, Steinbeck is showing they are all human. Also suggests each hand has a job.

Hope this helped?:smile:
curleys wife was the sample essay they sent out for the new context thing so its unlikely to be her although it would be the best
Original post by Muffscuit
18th May 2015 English Literature Unit 1 Exploring modern texts

OMAM: The question will ask you to describe Candy, referring closely to the passage.

The passage is unknown yet.

Don't ask where I got this from. AQA connections benefits.

The exams WJEC though?
Of Mice and Men - As crooks came up in Jan 2015 and Curley and Curley's wife came up together in june 2014. I'm hoping lennie or George will come up or they revert to Candy or Slim
Original post by PrimeLime
Hi guys, I did these exam last year (OMAM, Christmas Carol, History Boys) and managed, admittedly with a lot of luck, 154/160 in total, so if you guys have any questions about those three books I'd be happy to answer them.
P.S. I've noticed a discussion about a potential 'Curley question' but I can assure you that won't come up since I did that question in my paper last summer. I'm not really sure what kind of character questions you might get this year, considering that pretty much every main character has been used at least once (apart from Curley's wife I think?). There might not be a character question this year anyway, they don't need to have one (unless the spec. has changed to say that). Nevertheless they could recycle character questions or ask them in different ways so don't write them off.

Hi, I will be doing A Christmas Carol for my exam on Friday. If the question came up on which spirit has the most influence on Scrooge, which one would you pick? It would seem to me that all of the spirits influence him in different ways, however I don't think I would be able to conclude on a definite answer?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending