The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by midgetjems_
The exams WJEC though?

They cooperate.
I don't know what order the questions would be in, but I think the general feeling is that Candy, Slim, George or Curley's wife (although this is in a specimen paper so maybe not) could come up for a character question, and loneliness or violence could come up for themes. I don't know many predictions for the themes ones, so if anyone else has any more ideas?
Reply 222
I never noticed this but thanks, I'm assuming its:
-Lennie and his 'paws'.
-Slim and 'His hands, large and lean, were as delicate in their action as those of a temple dancer'
-Candy lost his right hand-symbolises world takes but doesn't give back.
-Curley wears a glove with Vaseline, also they always seem to be in a fist, which is ironic as he is keeping his hand soft for his wife.
-Crooks hands are pink.
-Curley's wife's have red nails-danger.

They are known as hands on the ranch, seen as nothing else just workers, Steinbeck is showing they are all human. Also suggests each hand has a job.

Hope this helped?:smile:

thank you! could you explain the "glove fulla vaseline" quote - some say curley abuses his wife, some says it has sexual meanings?
Reply 223
Sometimes characters don't come up for the essay question. There's always the possibility of a theme and a "to what extent do you...." or even one of those creative questions where you have to write as a character. So revise some themes, or just make sure that the character quotes you revised can be used for themes too
what would you write for slim, especially for context?
Original post by shrl0
thank you! could you explain the "glove fulla vaseline" quote - some say curley abuses his wife, some says it has sexual meanings?

Um well I just ignored it to start off with, but I think its taken in a sexual way, because that's why he wear it to show off he has a wife to keep his hand soft for; like he wears heels to show he doesn't do labour work.
Original post by shrl0

We were told by our teacher to stay clear of the abuse connotation. There is no evidence that he abuses her, and if he did, it would be likely that she wouldn't leave the house and flirt around like she does. This does refer to a sexual meaning, showing he may be impotent and he has to do superficial things to keep hold of his wife. He's quite insecure about her and sees her as an object to be pleased rather than a person. This also relates to how he immediately wanted to kill Lennie when he found her dead rather than wanting to touch her dead body or be in denial
Original post by sophiee_thomas
what would you write for slim, especially for context?

ladyrailly helped me out with this last night - her comments are on page 4 if you wanted to look at them.

But I've got that he isn't as prejudiced and as discriminatory towards Crooks as the majority of the other characters in the book are. And then talked about society's attitudes towards black people at the time, and how Slim's actions defy these attitudes.

I have other points, but I don't have much else for context really :L
Original post by RebeccaHollins
How many quotes would you say we need for the 20 mark essay question?

Always at least 20, though all the exemplars have more in as you should aim to go over 20 just to be safe. But you need 20 quotes. But if you think about it, you can just throw them in. If your talking about something, you can add in the reference as part if your sentence.

The thing is, you know in the exam that certain words are bound to be in the book. So if you can quote it, then quote it. You'd be saying the same thing if you didn't quote it but it gives you that security and backs up your answer.
Reply 229
Original post by barns.styles
Always at least 20, though all the exemplars have more in as you should aim to go over 20 just to be safe. But you need 20 quotes. But if you think about it, you can just throw them in. If your talking about something, you can add in the reference as part if your sentence.

The thing is, you know in the exam that certain words are bound to be in the book. So if you can quote it, then quote it. You'd be saying the same thing if you didn't quote it but it gives you that security and backs up your answer.

I'm pretty sure that 20 quotes is more than enough. You could probably get 20/20 with 7/8 quotes tbh.

Do you mean 20 little words? like 'tart' because I thought it was only about 5 longer quotes? Im worried now
Reply 231
Hey guys, Quick Question. I got a B on my coursework (30 marks). Is it possible to achieve A* or even A still? Thanks. :smile:
Original post by OMAM
Hey guys, Quick Question. I got a B on my coursework (30 marks). Is it possible to achieve A* or even A still? Thanks. :smile:

It is definitely possible, just pretty difficult to be completely honest. The of mice and men and poetry section (tomorrows) is 30% of your grade and the other one on friday is 45%. So basically if you ace the exams (especially Friday's) with almost no mistakes, you could totally do it.

I'm sure you'll be great bub. Good luck!
Original post by haes
Sometimes characters don't come up for the essay question. There's always the possibility of a theme and a "to what extent do you...." or even one of those creative questions where you have to write as a character. So revise some themes, or just make sure that the character quotes you revised can be used for themes too

I'm hoping Slim doesn't come up.

George, Lennie, Curley, CW Would be great but the exam Board may view them as too easy.

Themes give you the chance of talking about the characters your combfortable with though.
Do you mean 20 little words? like 'tart' because I thought it was only about 5 longer quotes? Im worried now

From what I've been taught you definitely don't need 20 quotes. I've been taught that around 5-8 quotes will be great. If you can drop little words like 'tart', 'jailbait', 'rattrap', 'nig*er' that would be good too
Are we sure that there's the possibility of no character question coming up? FFS i've only revised characters cos they're much easier
Original post by Samyak!
Are we sure that there's the possibility of no character question coming up? FFS i've only revised characters cos they're much easier

Tell me about it, god damn it. I think though, with most character quotes, they can be related to fit many different themes and that

You don't need that many quotes! An in-depth analysis of 3 or 4 quotes would gain you far more credit than just dropping in quotes everywhere and essentially just retelling the story.
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
From what I've been taught you definitely don't need 20 quotes. I've been taught that around 5-8 quotes will be great. If you can drop little words like 'tart', 'jailbait', 'rattrap', 'nig*er' that would be good too

Thanks for confirming that's what I have been taught, phew.
Is anyone doing A Christmas Carol on friday? I'm panicking about it so much and was wondering what essays might come up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending