The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History - Germany 1900-45 - Monday 8th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Original post by AMKrishnan
So firstly, I don't take the Edexcel spec (I'm OCR) but I wanted to ask if anyone knows what 'historical terminology' is? because I figure this would be a universal aspect of specifications across different exam boards. :smile:

Erm, I'm afraid historical terminology will probably differ from each period studied.

There will be terms that refer to certain events or periods that would be good to mention in the exam (EG: calling Nazi consolidation of power the Gleichschaltung), and so you could gain credit for mentioning this, but if you are studying a different period of time that's not much use to you. Sorry :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 721
Original post by Bunny2014
Any ideas how to answer this: Systematic extermination emerged as the Final Solution to the Jewish Question as a result of the chaotic nature of the Nazi state”. To what extent do you agree?

I'd answer this as a factor question with 4 paragraphs:

Chaotic nature of Nazi state: Hitler's personal beliefs and ideology
Chaotic nature of Nazi state: Cumulative radicalisation
The war
The German people

With the war being most important personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cuppa
It could be going better! But at least I am feeling a bit more confident about part B now though lol

How about you??

Im sure you will do great :smile: What controversy's have you been taught?

Im hoping Nazi popularity would come up

I think my main issue is the structure of my part B :frown:

Ive been revising the controversy's today x
Original post by CD223
I'd answer this as a factor question with 4 paragraphs:

Chaotic nature of Nazi state: Hitler's personal beliefs and ideology
Chaotic nature of Nazi state: Cumulative radicalisation
The war
The German people

With the war being most important personally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :smile: How was work???

Why would the impact of war be the most important reason?

Thanks again x
Reply 724
Im sure you will do great :smile: What controversy's have you been taught?

Im hoping Nazi popularity would come up

I think my main issue is the structure of my part B :frown:

Ive been revising the controversy's today x

I think efficiency might as well come up because popularity has come up two years in a row now :smile:
Original post by cuppa
I think efficiency might as well come up because popularity has come up two years in a row now :smile:

True :smile: I don't mind the Hitler part tbh :biggrin:

I wasn't really taught the ww1 controversy that well as we did it briefly in September
Reply 726
True :smile: I don't mind the Hitler part tbh :biggrin:

I wasn't really taught the ww1 controversy that well as we did it briefly in September

Yeah my school completely skipped the unit and I don't really mind because I don't understand war at all haha. It's like my least favourite part of history. We wouldn't actually even have time to cover both the controversies really. The Nazi controversy is not hard though so we shouldn't be disadvantaged :smile:
Original post by cuppa
Yeah my school completely skipped the unit and I don't really mind because I don't understand war at all haha. It's like my least favourite part of history. We wouldn't actually even have time to cover both the controversies really. The Nazi controversy is not hard though so we shouldn't be disadvantaged :smile:

Yeah thats true :biggrin: the only problem is the different historians views to bring in :frown: x
Reply 728
Thank you :smile: How was work???

Why would the impact of war be the most important reason?

Thanks again x

Work was okay but I'm too tired to revise now so I'm just taking the evening off haha.

The war was the most important reason because:
it escalated the scale of the "problem". The invasion of Poland brought 3,000,000 more Jews under German control, and other countries brought millions more Jews under Reich control where they had to be deported from far flung areas into other areas, taking immense organisation
the unsuccessful invasion of the USSR meant that the idea of deportation was abandoned and a ban on all emigration in October 1941 meant that they had effectively given up on resettlement. The course of the war forced them to play their hand and push for extermination rather than resettlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Work was okay but I'm too tired to revise now so I'm just taking the evening off haha.

The war was the most important reason because:
it escalated the scale of the "problem". The invasion of Poland brought 3,000,000 more Jews under German control, and other countries brought millions more Jews under Reich control where they had to be deported from far flung areas into other areas, taking immense organisation
the unsuccessful invasion of the USSR meant that the idea of deportation was abandoned and a ban on all emigration in October 1941 meant that they had effectively given up on resettlement. The course of the war forced them to play their hand and push for extermination rather than resettlement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats great thanks x

poor you :frown: maybe read through your notes instead of working hard
Original post by CD223
Ah if you could I'd appreciate it! I have work 1-5 so sorry if I don't get back to you straight away :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I took so long!

Okay, as far as I'm aware, this is what you need to know regarding the whole Balkans crisis:

I may, and probably will, state obvious things that you already know, but I'm just trying to be detailed xD.

This is evidence that Germany was NOT responsible for the war so if this is mentioned, then the source is most likely suggesting that - but be sure to read the context in which it is used ^^

Anyway, so the Balkans was an area dominated by the Ottoman Empire (bunch of Turks we don't need to know much about). Towards the end of the 19th Century, they were falling and thus began a chain of conflicts between countries who demanded a claim from their territory: Russia wanted some and the Austria wanted some. Serbians wanted some (for independence), now the interesting part is that the Serbs were considered 'Slavs' and that's basically a group of people who are allied with each other - the Russians are also Slavs. So it was Russia + Serbia vs Austria-Hungary.

Well in 1897, they managed to work it out a bit... but as we now know, it didn't last long at all.

So in 1911, Italy attacked the Ottoman Empire in Libya and this basically just showed how weak the Empire had become. Countries got excited and formed Balkan League (Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece and Montenegro) and they aimed to seize the land of the Empire while it remained weak. So in October 1912, they attacked the Empire -> Austria-Hungary were like OMG WTF :O because the Serbs invaded Albania and for those of you who know your Geography, that's right, it was next to the sea. Occupy Albania = access to the sea and Austria-Hungary didn't want Serbia to gain such power.

From here, Germany stepped in and they had a bunch of meetings discussing the possibility of a genuine war. So the Kaiser accepted the use of diplomacy and, to their success, ended the the First Balkan war in 1913 through the Treaty of London.

Now, following the First Balkan war, Serbia did in fact get more powerful but it wasn't satisfied with its share during the war so it invaded Albania, among other areas. But Germany stepped in with Austria-Hungary in October 1913 and issued an ultimatum to warn them. Nonetheless, Serbia grew hugely and actually managed to double its territory following the Second Balkan War.

Overall, the Balkan wars gave this kind of indication that if a war was gonna happen, now would be the best time (1914) because Germany was growing in size aswell as the entente powers (Britain, France and Russia).

It was actually found, and this info is for those aiming for that top level in terms of knowledge, that in a memorandum by von Waldersee (German General Staff Quatermaster-General) he proposed this idea that war should happen now if it was gonna happen at all.

It's all really interesting. I feel the red edexcel book in particular kind of fails to really summarise it. I guess what would be better is a Google search or documentary to further add to your knowledge of the events that happened. What I listed however should be sufficient for the exam. You just need to know what it was, who it antagonised, what it suggested and how Germany was involved.

Again, sorry I took longer than expected xD I came home not too long ago :P
Original post by cuppa

Actually, if you think about it, we have MORE than enough time to do both controversies and study Part A with plenty of time to revise.

My teacher was laid back and we did often watch movies, we still managed to complete the entire course, including both controversies, by April-ish.

World War One is an incredibly easy controversy - content wise. But if you look at the past papers, the sources are probably 2x harder, if not more, than the Hitler controversy. Nonetheless, we can't base much speculation on that so PERSONALLY I think it's best to learn both and just spend 5 minutes skim reading both questions and deciding - leaving you with a comfortable time to plan and read through sources then write.

Obviously, there's no point doing WW1 now because you'll just confuse yourself, but if anything, and this is personal btw, you're more at an advantage in terms of how easy the sources would most likely be, in comparison to WW1 ^^

I guess we'll find out though xD
Reply 732
thats great thanks x

poor you :frown: maybe read through your notes instead of working hard

No worries:smile:
Haha even looking through notes is ineffective. Gonna get an early night and start tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 733
Original post by Tow
Sorry I took so long!

Okay, as far as I'm aware, this is what you need to know regarding the whole Balkans crisis:

I may, and probably will, state obvious things that you already know, but I'm just trying to be detailed xD.

This is evidence that Germany was NOT responsible for the war so if this is mentioned, then the source is most likely suggesting that - but be sure to read the context in which it is used ^^

Anyway, so the Balkans was an area dominated by the Ottoman Empire (bunch of Turks we don't need to know much about). Towards the end of the 19th Century, they were falling and thus began a chain of conflicts between countries who demanded a claim from their territory: Russia wanted some and the Austria wanted some. Serbians wanted some (for independence), now the interesting part is that the Serbs were considered 'Slavs' and that's basically a group of people who are allied with each other - the Russians are also Slavs. So it was Russia + Serbia vs Austria-Hungary.

Well in 1897, they managed to work it out a bit... but as we now know, it didn't last long at all.

So in 1911, Italy attacked the Ottoman Empire in Libya and this basically just showed how weak the Empire had become. Countries got excited and formed Balkan League (Bulgaria, Serbia, Greece and Montenegro) and they aimed to seize the land of the Empire while it remained weak. So in October 1912, they attacked the Empire -> Austria-Hungary were like OMG WTF :O because the Serbs invaded Albania and for those of you who know your Geography, that's right, it was next to the sea. Occupy Albania = access to the sea and Austria-Hungary didn't want Serbia to gain such power.

From here, Germany stepped in and they had a bunch of meetings discussing the possibility of a genuine war. So the Kaiser accepted the use of diplomacy and, to their success, ended the the First Balkan war in 1913 through the Treaty of London.

Now, following the First Balkan war, Serbia did in fact get more powerful but it wasn't satisfied with its share during the war so it invaded Albania, among other areas. But Germany stepped in with Austria-Hungary in October 1913 and issued an ultimatum to warn them. Nonetheless, Serbia grew hugely and actually managed to double its territory following the Second Balkan War.

Overall, the Balkan wars gave this kind of indication that if a war was gonna happen, now would be the best time (1914) because Germany was growing in size aswell as the entente powers (Britain, France and Russia).

It was actually found, and this info is for those aiming for that top level in terms of knowledge, that in a memorandum by von Waldersee (German General Staff Quatermaster-General) he proposed this idea that war should happen now if it was gonna happen at all.

It's all really interesting. I feel the red edexcel book in particular kind of fails to really summarise it. I guess what would be better is a Google search or documentary to further add to your knowledge of the events that happened. What I listed however should be sufficient for the exam. You just need to know what it was, who it antagonised, what it suggested and how Germany was involved.

Again, sorry I took longer than expected xD I came home not too long ago :P

That's brilliant, thanks for the summary.

So the Balkans can be seen as evidence that German generals took a calculated risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
No worries:smile:
Haha even looking through notes is ineffective. Gonna get an early night and start tomorrow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw ok x
Original post by CD223
That's brilliant, thanks for the summary.

So the Balkans can be seen as evidence that German generals took a calculated risk?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what I would say.

But the Balkans could also suggest that they didn't cause the conflict - it was Austria-Hungary

It really depends on what the source is saying
Reply 736
Original post by Tow
That's exactly what I would say.

But the Balkans could also suggest that they didn't cause the conflict - it was Austria-Hungary

It really depends on what the source is saying

True!

How's your prep for part A going?

I get my recent mock back either tomorrow or Wednesday - will be interesting to see how I did on the Hitler consolidation question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
True!

How's your prep for part A going?

I get my recent mock back either tomorrow or Wednesday - will be interesting to see how I did on the Hitler consolidation question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done almost 0 revision for it atm xD

I've had a retake RE exam this Thursday and then I had a synoptic essay due in the following day so it's all been pretty hectic.

The revision has taken a toll on me and I ended up doing nothing on Saturday :tongue:

I'm now revising for C3, just doing some Solomon papers - Maths is something I do when I don't want to revise for my other subjects xD
Reply 738
Original post by Tow
I've done almost 0 revision for it atm xD

I've had a retake RE exam this Thursday and then I had a synoptic essay due in the following day so it's all been pretty hectic.

The revision has taken a toll on me and I ended up doing nothing on Saturday :tongue:

I'm now revising for C3, just doing some Solomon papers - Maths is something I do when I don't want to revise for my other subjects xD

Lol I always resort to maths.

I haven't revised history or computing this weekend. Just physics and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Lol I always resort to maths.

I haven't revised history or computing this weekend. Just physics and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least you revised xD

I've gotta get my shiz sorted :P

Exams are approaching way too fast.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending