The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Thanks!! (WJEC) what about slim coming up ??

how can you write so much about candy
Original post by maxterry
Thank you !! ( WJEC ) what about slim ???

Slim, Candy and george are the ones who haven't come up in any essay questions yet. Curley's wife is rumoured to have come up in jan 2015.
what do you mean rumoured ? what is confirmed for WJEC it was curleys wife in 2015 ?
what do you mean rumoured ? what is confirmed for WJEC it was curleys wife in 2015 ?

Somebody on the thread said that Curley's wife had come up as an essay question on the Jan 2015 paper, but the papers haven't been published on WJEC's website so nobody really knows if that's true or not. That's why it's rumoured. I'd revise her just in case. But a lot of the answers to your questions are already on the thread - just read through the pages :smile:
Original post by Ruthie2267
Somebody on the thread said that Curley's wife had come up as an essay question on the Jan 2015 paper, but the papers haven't been published on WJEC's website so nobody really knows if that's true or not. That's why it's rumoured. I'd revise her just in case. But a lot of the answers to your questions are already on the thread - just read through the pages :smile:

honestly, your opinion, who you think wil come up
honestly, your opinion, who you think wil come up

I honestly don't know. I'm revising everyone, but I'm kind of thinking Slim, George, Candy or Curley. Don't take my word on it though - WJEC could just as well re-do some questions on Crooks or something. Best to go over quotes for everyone - just to be sure :smile:
what points could you write about if the essay question was about slim in of mice and men??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rdj24
annotate the extract for 5 minutes with short phrases only a couple of words. (i.e if It asks about mood and atmosphere annotate with 'hostile mood'). You now have 15 minutes. First, place the extract(say where in the novel it is happening(i.e just after George and Lennie enter the bunkhouse).Then write an overarching sentence on the extract(i.e Overall, in this extract Steinbeck creates an atmosphere of hopelessness). Then track through the extract making key points (aim for 9 or 10) just incase. Make a short analysis for each point(i.e Steinbeck creates a hopelessness or sympathetic mood when Lennie says 'now George aint gonna let me tend no rabbits'. 'George aint' suggests George is controlling and dictates the dream and perhaps suggests Lennie is afraid of George. And do that 9 or 10 times for the full 10 marks. Hope that helped. Just watch the clock carefully and make sure you start Writing your essay at least after 20 minutes(you need time to read the question and plan) Good luck

Thank you :smile:.
Does anyone have any ideas about tkamb??
Reply 289
I dont know this for sure, but this has been published, I don't even know about OMAM I do TKAMB, but the question you are all asking about this Curleys Wife question in Jan 15 seems to be true. Judging on http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/english-gcse/gcse-english-lang-and-lit-report-jan-2015.pdf?language_id=1, it looks the question was indeed about Curleys Wife. I mean, I know very little about OMAM as I didn't read it, but just looking at this makes it seem like she was one of the questions. Check bottom of page 24 and page 25 for OMAM report.
Original post by amyduncalf
what points could you write about if the essay question was about slim in of mice and men??

ladyrailly put some points on page 4 if you want to look at that

but for Slim:
- how he is respected and well-liked on the ranch
- how people confide in him
- he's nowhere near as prejudiced as other characters in the novel are (e.g. he visits Crooks and then I'll probably link this in with how it was unusual in 1930s society)
- he's seen almost as a god, and has great authority over the other men (e.g. when deciding whether Candy's dog should be shot)
- I was thinking about how it seems as if Slim has no dreams or need to change his life compared to the other men. He seems content with where he is (I don't know about this point though)
I think it could be mrs dubose and maybe a setting question on how maycomb is presented? Just an educated guess though!
oh **** , i think Curley's wife was in 2015 jan, but then who the **** is going to be in this year
Curley I think will come up in the AQA paper but he already came up in 2013 for WJEC so I don't think it'll be him for us this year :c
oh **** , i think Curley's wife was in 2015 jan, but then who the **** is going to be in this year

Either Slim, Candy or George. My bet's on Candy but I honestly don't know between the three.
**** guys, the ****ing ****ty exam board have changed everything, the bloody bastards. Poetry has changed and the amount of ****ing focus that the bastards have put on the ****ing context means you basically miss a whole **** load of marks if you don't ****ing write about it. ****ing bastards means that **** **** bastards are making the whole ****ing exam about 300 ****ing times harder. ****
I can almost guarantee it won't be Slim - there's just not enough Slim content to analyse for a 20 marker
Has anyone done A Christmas Carol and know of any likely essay questions??
same goes to Candy ! how the **** am i supposed to write a 20 mark about him, someone help , what are the main things i can say 4 paragraphs
What points could you make about mrs dubose and the setting of maycomb in an essay question??

Quick Reply