The Student Room Group

Critical thinking 2015

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone seen the 2014 paper? I've gone through most of the other past papers and would like to compare them to the one from last year- it seemed to have the lowest grade boundaries at 52 for an A
Reply 21
Original post by emily.jane.d
It's too late to think about that now. Try to think positively. I mean, I'm actually a little bit excited to see what the theme is going to be. Don't take it too seriously. i am taking the exam tomorrow purely to prove a point to my teacher :tongue:

So it would put you at a disadvantage?
Reply 22
Original post by bob smith 23
Has anyone seen the 2014 paper? I've gone through most of the other past papers and would like to compare them to the one from last year- it seemed to have the lowest grade boundaries at 52 for an A

My teacher gave us a copy and it was on building the Thames Estuary Airport (TEA). Was difficult when they introduced Boris Johnson as a claim to investigate the credibility of, with many talking too much about his duties as Mayor of London.
Original post by jed.sol
My teacher gave us a copy and it was on building the Thames Estuary Airport (TEA). Was difficult when they introduced Boris Johnson as a claim to investigate the credibility of, with many talking too much about his duties as Mayor of London.

Thanks- how did you find the paper overall and what were the questions like in comparison to the past years? (Did it deserve a lower grade boundary?)
Reply 24
Thanks- how did you find the paper overall and what were the questions like in comparison to the past years? (Did it deserve a lower grade boundary?)

It was difficult as the roles of the players were blurred between the information they provided and candidates background knowledge. It was the first past paper I did so ultimately I couldn't tell you if it warranted the low grade boundaries, but it followed a similar structure to all previous years papers.
Original post by jed.sol
It was difficult as the roles of the players were blurred between the information they provided and candidates background knowledge. It was the first past paper I did so ultimately I couldn't tell you if it warranted the low grade boundaries, but it followed a similar structure to all previous years papers.

Thanks-starting to feel quite nervous just because it's all on the day. How do you feel in terms of revision?
Reply 26
Thanks-starting to feel quite nervous just because it's all on the day. How do you feel in terms of revision?

Lets put it this way. Ive done 2 past papers total and only revised today (+ other subjects) and haven't been to lessons all year. So really ****ing nervous haha :eek:
Original post by jed.sol
Lets put it this way. Ive done 2 past papers total and only revised today (+ other subjects) and haven't been to lessons all year. So really ****ing nervous haha :eek:

Same- I've got 3 other exams this week that I'm prioritizing,what about you?
Reply 28
Same- I've got 3 other exams this week that I'm prioritizing,what about you?

Economics and Biology, Tuesday and Thursday :/
Original post by jed.sol
Economics and Biology, Tuesday and Thursday :/

Monday:Critical Thinking
Wednesday:history
Thursday: Sociology
Friday:Chemistry

Struggling to revise, there's only so much critical thinking you can force yourself to do.
Monday:Critical Thinking
Wednesday:history
Thursday: Sociology
Friday:Chemistry

Struggling to revise, there's only so much critical thinking you can force yourself to do.

I attempted about 4 past papers today and didn't finish 1 out of pure boredom... I'm not very confident for tomorrow lol
Original post by lukejoshjames
I attempted about 4 past papers today and didn't finish 1 out of pure boredom... I'm not very confident for tomorrow lol

Ha-Iv'e done exactly the same, kept on trying to motivate myself to do a timed mock and found myself revising chemistry as a break...
I have to do my exam tomorrow in isolation because it overlaps with my English Lit. Then I have an exam every day next week. GCSEs are just so much fun.
Original post by emily.jane.d
I have to do my exam tomorrow in isolation because it overlaps with my English Lit. Then I have an exam every day next week. GCSEs are just so much fun.

Are you doing GCSE Critical Thinking or the AS level a year in advance?
Are you doing GCSE Critical Thinking or the AS level a year in advance?

We do Unit 1 a year early in the hope that we will do Unit 2 in Year 12
having to do my as critical thinking in isolation tomorrow because its on at the same time a business :'( havn't revised because I don't think you can do much. Got a B in my mock so should be okay? Not looking forward to it!

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY :smile:
is anyone else still really p*ssed off that they were forced to do critical thinking in the first place? :mad:
Original post by jed.sol
Thank you so much, you guys have really helped a lot :smile:

im planning to apply for Oxbridge, would hopefully achieving 4As in my other subjects at AS and then say a C/D in CT put me at a disadvantage? (I think id have to declare it since it would appear on the same OCR certificate as Biology)

You can get it removed from the system, so it would affectively be as though you never did it. It really won't affect anything if you fail tbh, it's not imperative for any course or uni, it's nice as an extra but no where's going to deny you entry purely on the basis you don't have critical thinking/an A in critical thinking. Best to just put all your effort in your main subjects, and if you can get a decent grade in an extra minor subject with minimal effort- great, if you don't- nobody's going to be too fussed.
Well that OCR paper for critical thinking today was stupidly hard. Harder than normal :frown:
Which document were we supposed to get the argument indicator words from in question 1

Quick Reply

Latest