The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jayzaa
If Maycomb setting is one, there is so much you could say! The house as a symbol of somewhere Scout and Jem are taught by Atticus morales etc. The school where Scout is needing to be dressed as a "lady", and all the issues at school that come with it, Walter Cunningham etc. Then you've got the courthouse, my favorite quote of which is the one about "ancient Greek revival columns clashed with a 19th century clocktower housing a rusty and unreliable instrument" or something along those lines, you've also got the "all men are created equal" in court quote. Then you can talk contextually about how it is in the deep south and how it was very racist in the 30s etc and how the book was published in the 60s when there was a black power movement going on. If that question comes up then there is so much you can say!

I agree! You can pretty much link it with anything which goes on, I only mentioned the camellias example as I was trying to think of hidden meanings as well as your good point!
Original post by ladyrailly
Some that I have:

- He's pessimistic towards himself as he knows he doesn't have much use on the ranch & is in denial about a lot of things incl. his dog
- He's influenced easily and is oppressed by the upper members of the hierarchy on the ranch
- He also represents the theme of loneliness after his dog dies
- He cares a lot about The American Dream to the point where he will defend it in front of a person he's normally fearful of (Curley's wife)
- He wants to have control - "He was the master of the situation" - over something in his life as every other decision is decided by society and the members of the ranch (again about the scene with him, Curley's wife and Crooks)
- He's selfish, though I don't have much to back this up with

these are very good points, would you mind if you could elaborate more on the points, would help alot man !
Original post by sakshres
How should we structure the answers for the question and get full marks?
Need help asap really worried about this

- Plan for each question, make a plan at the bottom of the extract question for the extract question or round the sides. Get highlighters and highlight because if you use a pen it'll blend in with the text so highlighters save time by making the words stand out more. For the essay question plan, writing down a few words for point along with the quote & maybe a few things of analysis. I'd spend about 5-10 minutes of the extract time (20 mins) planning and 10-15 minutes of the essay question planning (40 mins) though that's just me.

- Do it chronologically. Make your first paragraph about stuff early in the extract/novel, and your last paragraph about the stuff at the end of the extract/novel

- Always remember PEAS especially the Speculation part as that's what helps you get full marks. They want quite a bit of context too

- Pick out key words from the extract/quote & analyse them because according to the marking scheme that gets you in top band

Right, I'm actually going to revise now, I'll be back soon!
Original post by maxterry
these are very good points, would you mind if you could elaborate more on the points, would help alot man !

I mean I'd like to but it'd be giving all of my A* analysis away :rolleyes:

And I was going to do more revision now but I'll give you some quotes! I'm not going to reiterate the points so just match the numbers up:

1) use of double negatives - "don't never"
2) "softly and hopelessly"; "edge of his bunk"
3) "no relatives nor nothing"
4) "We know what we got, and we don't care whether you know it or not"; "leave my share to you guys"
5) "He was the master of the situation"; "he had control of himself"
6) "poor bastard" - only thinking about Lennie and his consequences, not the fact that a woman was actually dead (could link in with the unimportance of women)
Of Mice and Men is tomorrow along with unseen poetry. For poetry they'll ask you to analyse the similarities and differences between the two poems & they'll give you some sort of checklist in the question. There's an a, b and c part to Of Mice and Men. The a part is an extract question worth 10 marks. The b and c parts are the essay questions and you only need to do 1, and it's worth 20 marks. One of the questions will usually be on a character and the other will usually be on a theme, although it's rumoured that there could be two themes this year.

Lord of the Flies and Blood Brothers (A View From The Bridge for me) is on Friday and it's the exact same layout as Of Mice and Men for each text :smile:

THANKYOU SO MUCH that is exactly what i needed to know, you have literally saved my life!!!! good luck in all the rest of your exams!!
I mean I'd like to but it'd be giving all of my A* analysis away :rolleyes:

And I was going to do more revision now but I'll give you some quotes! I'm not going to reiterate the points so just match the numbers up:

1) use of double negatives - "don't never"
2) "softly and hopelessly"; "edge of his bunk"
3) "no relatives nor nothing"
4) "We know what we got, and we don't care whether you know it or not"; "leave my share to you guys"
5) "He was the master of the situation"; "he had control of himself"
6) "poor bastard" - only thinking about Lennie and his consequences, not the fact that a woman was actually dead (could link in with the unimportance of women)

help us , give ur a* points dont be so selfih
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** this is the ****ing end of the **** line for **** and when **** if **** happens
Reply 327
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** this is the ****ing end of the **** line for **** and when **** if **** happens

Dude, what are you getting so mad at? What has changed with poetry?
Original post by maxterry
help us , give ur a* points dont be so selfih

hey don't be mean max. At the end of the day, they are her points, and she's perfectly entitled to keep her own points to herself :smile: In fact she's been kind enough to tell us things already, so :smile:
ur right sorrry im just gettin nervous init
Original post by Jayzaa
Dude, what are you getting so mad at? What has changed with poetry?

I'm not mad, I'm stressing out, I can't do this ****. Basically apparently WJEC, being the piece of ****ty ****s that they are have added harder ****ing poems with less to analyse and **** like that
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
I'm not mad, I'm stressing out, I can't do this ****. Basically apparently WJEC, being the piece of ****ty ****s that they are have added harder ****ing poems with less to analyse and **** like that

Hey, I noticed earlier that you said you hadn't learned any quotes. Neither have I. While I can certainly acknowledge that this situation is incredibly stressful, probably the best thing we can do for ourselves is to try and stay calm. If all else fails, we can reference the book and put quotation marks around it, and make some rubbish up that sounds intelligent and like 'original thought'. I know how you are feeling, it's rubbish, but at least if we're calm we actually have a chance of being clear headed enough to get lucky making stuff up. :smile:
Reply 332
Lmao I just made this account I have no idea how all this works but yh does anyone know if the checklist for poetry is in the exam?
Original post by M.m.1
Lmao I just made this account I have no idea how all this works but yh does anyone know if the checklist for poetry is in the exam?

My teacher said it's been taken out of the higher paper (I'm assuming you mean the 1) talk about context, 2) talk about ideas, 3) talk about literary devices etc
Original post by M.m.1

It is, if by checklist you mean the different things that it gives you after the question is asked :smile:

Also, does anyone have any good quotes for George and Lennie? They're unlikely to come up for the essay question but I'd like some just to be sure :smile:
Does anyone know of any good poetic devices to refer to that will help get an a* in the unseen poetry ??
Also, how many points do you have to make in the extract q and whats the structure for the unseen poetry essay response??
Reply 337
Original post by Ruthie2267
My teacher said it's been taken out of the higher paper (I'm assuming you mean the 1) talk about context, 2) talk about ideas, 3) talk about literary devices etc

yeah ah that's what my English teacher told me but I didn't know if it was certain
Original post by hollahollaholla
Also, how many points do you have to make in the extract q and whats the structure for the unseen poetry essay response??

There isn't a specific structure apart from to just go through it chronologically as far as I know.

You should ideally make 10-12 points for the extract question.

& go through emotions, objects and verbs in each of the poems and then if there are any similarities/differences compare them :smile:
Original post by Ruthie2267
Somebody on the thread said that Curley's wife had come up as an essay question on the Jan 2015 paper, but the papers haven't been published on WJEC's website so nobody really knows if that's true or not. That's why it's rumoured. I'd revise her just in case. But a lot of the answers to your questions are already on the thread - just read through the pages :smile:

I took the exam in January, so I'm certain it was Curley's Wife

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending