The Student Room Group

English Literature GCSE 18th May

Basically I was wondering what the lowest I can get on tomorrows exam can be and still get an A*, obviously I'll be trying but I just feel really out of it lately.

I have Full Marks (Full UMS) on all of my coursework, does that mean I can still get an A or B on tomorrow's exam with an A or A* on Friday's exam and still achieve an overall A* in lit?

Other than that, how are you all feeling for the exam tomorrow? (:
No idea about grade boundaries but think positively and don't think about that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Matthew13
No idea about grade boundaries but think positively and don't think about that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha Thank you (: I'll try but I don't know I just feel hopeless at this point. Maybe it'll pass tomorrow morning and I'll get my normal "I'm gonna kick AQA's butt" mood xD
i feel exactly the same way!
Reply 4
Original post by danaestavrou
i feel exactly the same way!

Hahah at least we're in the same boat :biggrin: Good luck with your exam tomorrow though (:
Reply 5
My teacher told me that these are the current/past grade boundaries:
A* - 51
A - 43
B - 35
C - 27
D - 19
They are are out of 68 (60 + 8 SPaG marks) so you could techniquely scrape an A with 43 marks from your questions but then get full SPaG marks and it would be 51 and an A*. She also said however that if a lot of people get good grades then they may raise the grade boundaries and remark them before the results are released, or vice versa, so there isn't any guarantee, but those are roughly right. I'm taking my exam tomorrow too and I'm petrified, does anyone know any predictions for Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls? Good luck everyone <3
Reply 6
Original post by AmieH
My teacher told me that these are the current/past grade boundaries:
A* - 51
A - 43
B - 35
C - 27
D - 19
They are are out of 68 (60 + 8 SPaG marks) so you could techniquely scrape an A with 43 marks from your questions but then get full SPaG marks and it would be 51 and an A*. She also said however that if a lot of people get good grades then they may raise the grade boundaries and remark them before the results are released, or vice versa, so there isn't any guarantee, but those are roughly right. I'm taking my exam tomorrow too and I'm petrified, does anyone know any predictions for Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls? Good luck everyone <3

Thank you for the Grade Boundaries (: And Of Mice and Men is most likely Candy or Carlson (: I do Crucible not AIC Sorry xD
Reply 7
Original post by Aiah_AH
Thank you for the Grade Boundaries (: And Of Mice and Men is most likely Candy or Carlson (: I do Crucible not AIC Sorry xD

Thanks! But I really really really hope it's not Carlson I've not even studied him, I've revised everyone else so much but I forgot he could come up, never mind hahaha
Reply 8
Whats so special about the putnams and danforth in the crucible,
brief explanation pls
i need to learn ths for tomorrow
Reply 9
Original post by Aiah_AH

What do you think the crucible might be on? i feel so unprepared for it... my disinterest for the play doesn't help though.
Reply 10
i need to do good in this exam tomorrow
done it last year and got a C overall
A's in everything apart from unit 1
need to now crucible and of mice and men
and ideas or help will be appreciated thanks
Original post by zkhan7
Whats so special about the putnams and danforth in the crucible,
brief explanation pls
i need to learn ths for tomorrow

In short, Putnam is a symbol of people using the hysteria of the witch hunts for personal gain, in his case gaining land.

Danforth represents the corrupt nature of the court, more interested in catching people out and delivering unjust sentences to preserve his and the courts honour than he was in getting the right outcomes. An example of the flaws of a system where people were guilty until proven innocent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Matthew13
In short, Putnam is a symbol of people using the hysteria of the witch hunts for personal gain, in his case gaining land.

Danforth represents the corrupt nature of the court, more interested in catching people out and delivering unjust sentences to preserve his and the courts honour than he was in getting the right outcomes. An example of the flaws of a system where people were guilty until proven innocent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks
any quotes though?
and how to write a lot about that if it comes up cos they arent main characters
Reply 13
Original post by Aiah_AH
Basically I was wondering what the lowest I can get on tomorrows exam can be and still get an A*, obviously I'll be trying but I just feel really out of it lately.

I have Full Marks (Full UMS) on all of my coursework, does that mean I can still get an A or B on tomorrow's exam with an A or A* on Friday's exam and still achieve an overall A* in lit?

Other than that, how are you all feeling for the exam tomorrow? (:

Don't worry, I'll be one of the ones bringing the grade boundaries lower xD
Original post by zkhan7
thanks
any quotes though?
and how to write a lot about that if it comes up cos they arent main characters

Danforth: "postponement now speaks a floundering on my part" - more interested in upholding his honour as a weighty judge than he is preserving justice
"A person is either with this court or he must be counted against it" - again showing the inflexibility of the strict Puritanical society and the concrete borders of either conforming or being associated with the Devil.
Could extend it by contrasting him with Hale in that Hale shows moral capacity to change his views, and also in the changing authority in the play from the Church to the Court. Not sure about Putnam quotes, doubt he'll come up he plays a relatively minor role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by KAbbas
Don't worry, I'll be one of the ones bringing the grade boundaries lower xD

Naww don't say that, I'm sure you'll do as well as the rest of us :biggrin:

Good luck on results day (:
I read Of Mice and Men and The Woman in Black and flunked the test. Honestly, it was awful. I panicked in the exam and had a silent breakdown right where I sat. I didn't write enough, barely quoted and couldn't think straight. I think I'm going to have to resit. :frown: The final exam on Lit is tomorrow (poetry) and I'm hoping to do a little better, otherwise I'll be lucky to get a C.
Reply 17
Original post by tomjay31
I read Of Mice and Men and The Woman in Black and flunked the test. Honestly, it was awful. I panicked in the exam and had a silent breakdown right where I sat. I didn't write enough, barely quoted and couldn't think straight. I think I'm going to have to resit. :frown: The final exam on Lit is tomorrow (poetry) and I'm hoping to do a little better, otherwise I'll be lucky to get a C.

Don't think like that, you don't know how you've done until the results come back and that's in a couple of months so don't worry about it. Try not to dwell on the past and think of the future, if it makes you feel better I had a friend who did the exam last year and she got 2 B's on Lit I think but had an A* in her course work and got an A* overall. So there's a high possibility you will still get the grade you want and are just panicking and paranoid (:
Don't worry about it, hopefully you did well and you can do well tomorrow :biggrin:
You'll do well girl !
Im doing my edexcel paper today too..
Let's all keep our hopes high !
Goodluck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending