The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Steliata
Hey, I noticed earlier that you said you hadn't learned any quotes. Neither have I. While I can certainly acknowledge that this situation is incredibly stressful, probably the best thing we can do for ourselves is to try and stay calm. If all else fails, we can reference the book and put quotation marks around it, and make some rubbish up that sounds intelligent and like 'original thought'. I know how you are feeling, it's rubbish, but at least if we're calm we actually have a chance of being clear headed enough to get lucky making stuff up. :smile:

I know, I'm trying but after seeing all the changes I'm getting increasingly nervous and anxious. It doesn't help that I have an RS exam with quotes to remember tomorrow as well. Thanks for that, gave me a little bit of a wakeup call I guess. Good luck:smile:
Original post by M.m.1
yeah ah that's what my English teacher told me but I didn't know if it was certain

I just try to remember it as CIMLE. Content Ideas Mood Literary devices and I have no idea what the E stands for but last it's personal response :wink:
So wait now its confirmed it was curley wife in jan 2015

that has to mean its gonna be candy or slim tomorrow for wjec
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
I know, I'm trying but after seeing all the changes I'm getting increasingly nervous and anxious. It doesn't help that I have an RS exam with quotes to remember tomorrow as well. Thanks for that, gave me a little bit of a wakeup call I guess. Good luck:smile:

It's hard. You're trying your best, well done for that. A botched English exam isn't the end of the world - what doesn't kill us makes us stronger I guess? :wink:

I'm glad to have helped. Good luck to you too, for both your exams. Make sure you get plenty of rest tonight.
Original post by Steliata
It's hard. You're trying your best, well done for that. A botched English exam isn't the end of the world - what doesn't kill us makes us stronger I guess? :wink:

I'm glad to have helped. Good luck to you too, for both your exams. Make sure you get plenty of rest tonight.

Thanks, you too. I guess you're right, I'm not even taking literature A-Level! Damn right, thanks!
Guys, is loneliness going to come up tomorrow?
Reply 346
Original post by Ruthie2267
I just try to remember it as CIMLE. Content Ideas Mood Literary devices and I have no idea what the E stands for but last it's personal response :wink:

Omg thanks I'll try and remember that tomorrow
Original post by kfarhan57
Guys, is loneliness going to come up tomorrow?

Well it's not 100% of course but everyone has a pretty good feeling that it will
Original post by maxterry
same goes to Candy ! how the **** am i supposed to write a 20 mark about him, someone help , what are the main things i can say 4 paragraphs

Candy and his dog parallel the relationship of George andLennie. Like Candy's dog, Lennie depends on George to take care of him and show him what to do. Candy, like George, is different from the other ranch hands because he has his dog as a constant companion, someone devoted and loyal to him. When the unfeeling Carlson suggests that Candy's dog be put out of its misery, Candy abdicates the responsibility to Carlson. He tells George later that he should have shot his dog himself, foreshadowing George's decision to take responsibility for Lennie's death.
Original post by ladyrailly

Also, does anyone have any good quotes for George and Lennie? They're unlikely to come up for the essay question but I'd like some just to be sure :smile:

When George is trying to get the dead mouse back from Lennie he snaps his fingers "sharply" and Lennie is described as a "terrier who doesn't want to bring a ball back to its master" - that's quite a good representation of their relationship :smile:
Also it's said that "one followed behind the other" (Lennie behind George)
That's all I can think of off the top of my head - I've hardly looked at it as I doubt it'll come up
Your predictions for whats coming up tomorrow in Of Mice and Men?
(edited 8 years ago)
any bets for slim question ?
does a character question always come up because i havent revised themes?
Original post by joejoe2323333
does a character question always come up because i havent revised themes?

Some people are saying two themes are going to come up this year but in every other year one character question has come up. Some of the quotes that can be used for characters can be used for themes too so even if two themes come up I'm sure you'll be okay :smile:
Original post by Camward1
Your predictions for whats coming up tomorrow in Of Mice and Men?

Candy or Slim. Curley's wife ruled out because she appeared jan 2015, and no-one thinks George is going to come up on its own, although I believe it's a possibility.
What was the jan 2015 extract question about?
Would you all say that Curley is the main antagonist in the book?
Original post by jxssamy
When George is trying to get the dead mouse back from Lennie he snaps his fingers "sharply" and Lennie is described as a "terrier who doesn't want to bring a ball back to its master" - that's quite a good representation of their relationship :smile:
Also it's said that "one followed behind the other" (Lennie behind George)
That's all I can think of off the top of my head - I've hardly looked at it as I doubt it'll come up

Thank you very much!
Do you guys think candy/carslon will come up, as there the characters I havent revised :s-smilie:
Original post by Mystic mauve
What was the jan 2015 extract question about?

http://www.wjec.co.uk/qualifications/english/english-gcse/gcse-english-lang-and-lit-report-jan-2015.pdf?language_id=1 pg26-27.

So apparently the extract was about Curley, George and Lennie, and the essay question was between Curley's wife & "Steinbeck's protest against the unfairness of American society in the 1930's".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending