The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LukeTownsend123
I have been noticing the (R) on the June 2013 and June 2014 papers, does anyone know what this actually means?

Original post by samb1234

Some people do, but not Samb1234.

Edexcel started setting separate papers for candidates 5.5 hours or more East of the UK. R stands for regional.

When Gove did away with January exams, this was a problem for some overseas candidates whose academic year finished in January. They therefore invented the International A level which can only be sat overseas and still has January exams. This meant that there was very little call for the R papers, so they have not been set for this session.

The R and IAL papers are worth looking at, since they are set by the same people as set the ordinary ones. The only specification difference that I am aware of (but I'm not guaranteeing this) is extra bits on the IAL FP1 unit.
Original post by tiny hobbit

Edexcel started setting separate papers for candidates 5.5 hours or more East of the UK. R stands for regional.

When Gove did away with January exams, this was a problem for some overseas candidates whose academic year finished in January. They therefore invented the International A level which can only be sat overseas and still has January exams. This meant that there was very little call for the R papers, so they have not been set for this session.

The R and IAL papers are worth looking at, since they are set by the same people as set the ordinary ones. The only specification difference that I am aware of (but I'm not guaranteeing this) is extra bits on the IAL FP1 unit.

My mistake. I wasn't 100% sure I initially thought they were the +5 timezone papers but I didn't know whether you could sit the standard GCE in those regions or if you were forced to sit the IAL. Anyway my mistake :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

rekt :wink: lmao
Original post by BBeyond
rekt :wink: lmao

Couldn't care less lol. All about that ums

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am actually pretty ready for this exam, still need to do more past papers but having only done rubbish last year (got a C) due to making silly mistakes after putting a lot of pressure on myself, I am feeling more ready this year. I do expect it to be a slightly harder paper though and I still need like 90 UMS, but not feeling too bad about it :colondollar:

Interesting - I live in Greece (2 hours time difference with the UK), and in 2013 people at my school sat the R papers but last year we sat the normal non-R papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aersh8
Interesting - I live in Greece (2 hours time difference with the UK), and in 2013 people at my school sat the R papers but last year we sat the normal non-R papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats because in JUNE 13 one batch of papers went missing so just for safety reasons they decided to make students sit for the R paper

Oh that makes so much sense! I was told that they were because the paper has been leaked. So students in the UK would sit the regular paper and the students overseas due to timing differences would sit the (R) paper because of unofficial leaks?

[INDENT]I am currently at the stage where I am borderline A*/A in my C3 exams, but I want to get a secure A*. The only marks I am losing are small mistakes or if the question is an abstract one. Anyone have any good techniques to get an A*, securely? (75/75) I've done virtually every past paper and I'm not sure what else I can do![/INDENT]

[INDENT]I am currently at the stage where I am borderline A*/A in my C3 exams, but I want to get a secure A*. The only marks I am losing are small mistakes or if the question is an abstract one. Anyone have any good techniques to get an A*, securely? (75/75) I've done virtually every past paper and I'm not sure what else I can do![/INDENT]

Stupid mistakes or questions you can't do? I'm at the stage where I can get 73-75 so if you want I can give you some tips

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 470
Stupid mistakes or questions you can't do? I'm at the stage where I can get 73-75 so if you want I can give you some tips

Posted from TSR Mobile

Errrr how do you even get to that stage :-( I've done a fair amount of past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** all that arcsin bull****

Are you guys going to bother learning that stuff... It rarely comes up and it's causing me so much headache :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by husband material
**** all that arcsin bull****

Are you guys going to bother learning that stuff... It rarely comes up and it's causing me so much headache :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know that if I don't learn it, it'll come up and if I do, it won't haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 473
Original post by ooftar
I know that if I don't learn it, it'll come up and if I do, it won't haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

this is a good logic!
Original post by lam12
Errrr how do you even get to that stage :-( I've done a fair amount of past papers

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just practiced using the textbook and past exams so that I know how to do all the techniques and have a good understanding of what sort of questions come up over and over again. I also use a calculator to check a large amount of my working where possible (eg on a differentiation question I pick a random value of x to ensure that my differentiation is correct.) If you practice enough, set your working out properly and check as much as you possibly can then you will get higher and higher marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Silly mistakes, a common one is simple arithmetic :P It is very rare in C3 I don't know a question, without trying to sound arrogant, lol.
Original post by lam12

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me it is just doing every single past paper possible. Eventually you realise that questions aren't that different. If you go on TES and type in "westies workshop" a guy comes up, he has a powerpoint which has ALL C3 and all C4 past questions in one single powerpoint, very very good resource.
Silly mistakes, a common one is simple arithmetic :P It is very rare in C3 I don't know a question, without trying to sound arrogant, lol.

The way I do things is I use a calculator to check every single part of a question where possible. As soon as I have differentiated something, I pick a random value if x and check that mine and the calculators answer are the same. Check as you go as that way you don't have To fix large chunks of working after

Posted from TSR Mobile
The way I do things is I use a calculator to check every single part of a question where possible. As soon as I have differentiated something, I pick a random value if x and check that mine and the calculators answer are the same. Check as you go as that way you don't have To fix large chunks of working after

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean by picking a random value of x and checking it with the calculator?
What do you mean by picking a random value of x and checking it with the calculator?

My calculator has the ability to do numerical differentiation. I pick a value of x, work out what the output from my derivative that I have just worked out is for that value of x. I then type the original equation given in the question into my calculator, and tell it to work out the gradient for the same value of x. If both answers are the same, therefore my differentiation must be correct

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending