The Student Room Group

Riddle

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samboosa0
yh it would but there are no time restrictions and the method still works

OK fair enough.
Reply 161
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
You are blindfolded and required to sort twenty pennies into two piles with the same distribution of heads and tails in each pile. You know that of the twenty, ten begin heads-up and ten begin tails-up, but you have no means of determining the position of any of the pennies.

whats the solution to this one?
Original post by Xin Xang
19 times because, the person themselves must have necessarily been chosen in order to have seen the lever in the first place. Any more than 19, and you will be waiting there for ever for the 20th person.

The people are counted by the number of times the counter has seen the counting lever in the up position. What if the counting lever begins in the up position, producing a false positive? Remember, the first inmate to visit the room doesn't know that someone hasn't already been there.
whats the solution to this one?

Spoiler

Spoiler

But for example if 3 are tails up and 7 heads up then when you flip all of them over then the 7 will be tails up and 3 heads up so I don't get it. How does that work?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is in my pocket?
Reply 166
Original post by KingStannis
What is in my pocket?

hmm enlighten us..?
The people are counted by the number of times the counter has seen the counting lever in the up position. What if the counting lever begins in the up position, producing a false positive? Remember, the first inmate to visit the room doesn't know that someone hasn't already been there.

Wow!! I hadn't thought of that.

You're right. I'm not sure how to get around that.
Original post by KingStannis
What is in my pocket?

The preciousssss!
Question: Sum Sam and Product Pete are in class when their teacher gives Sam the Sum of two numbers and Pete the product of the same two numbers (these numbers are greater than or equal to 2). They must figure out the two numbers.

Sam: I don't know what the numbers are Pete.
Pete: I knew you didn't know the numbers... But neither do I.
Sam: In that case, I do know the numbers.

What are the numbers?
Reply 170
Original post by IAmEllie
Question: Sum Sam and Product Pete are in class when their teacher gives Sam the Sum of two numbers and Pete the product of the same two numbers (these numbers are greater than or equal to 2). They must figure out the two numbers.

Sam: I don't know what the numbers are Pete.
Pete: I knew you didn't know the numbers... But neither do I.
Sam: In that case, I do know the numbers.

What are the numbers?

3&4?
You are blindfolded and required to sort twenty pennies into two piles with the same distribution of heads and tails in each pile. You know that of the twenty, ten begin heads-up and ten begin tails-up, but you have no means of determining the position of any of the pennies.

Couldn't you just feel each of the pennies? You wouldn't be able to know if it's heads or tails, but the similar feeling between the coins should allow you to sort them into piles which would then be heads and tails?
You have one of me and I’m easy to touch,
I’m hard to look at, but you can in a clutch.Yet you’re told to watch me, or get your friends’.
I’m often referred to when you make amends.You can throw me out but not away,
I cause many pain, every day.What am I?
Original post by Jiaaaaaa
You have one of me and I’m easy to touch,
I’m hard to look at, but you can in a clutch.Yet you’re told to watch me, or get your friends’.
I’m often referred to when you make amends.You can throw me out but not away,
I cause many pain, every day.What am I?

This may sound stupid but is it back?
Original post by TheHonestMisty
This may sound stupid but is it back?

yh :smile: your turn
Original post by Jiaaaaaa
yh :smile: your turn

The one who makes it sells it.
The one who buys it doesn't use it.
The one who's using it doesn't know he's using it.
What is it?
What is it?

Poison?
Original post by Xin Xang
Poison?

Nope :u:
Reply 178
What is it?

drugs?
drugs?

No:h:

Quick Reply

Latest