The Student Room Group

Would you be happy on 40k per year as your final salary?

There are overtime opportunities

No company car or equivalent perks..

£800 bonus per year at Christmas

£40,000 flat rate. Monday-Friday 8-4.30. On call one week out of 5 but obviously if called in overtime applies at 1.4x for weekdays and 2x for weekends.

Would this be enough for you to settle down? Or how much are you really aiming for as your final salary? This 40k situation is achieved after working at the company for 8-10 years so would be achieved around the age of 30 and then could be at 40k until you retire, with a decent - ish private & public pension.

What's your thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I don't want to be ungrateful because this is more than most people earn and I would take less upon graduation, but as a final salary, no.
Reply 2
It's a bit shy of my goal but it's a decent salary.
Reply 3
Personally I'd want to earn more than that, but I'd take that pay if there were significant perks (e.g., fewer hours, great location, etc.). I'd much rather a lower wage than to be a wage slave.
Depends on the responsibility, but fine, inflation adjusted of course. Do I get to travel?

Not particularly interested in the idea of children.
Original post by lewif002
There are overtime opportunities

No company car or equivalent perks..

£800 bonus per year at Christmas

£40,000 flat rate. Monday-Friday 8-4.30. On call one week out of 5 but obviously if called in overtime applies at 1.4x for weekdays and 2x for weekends.

Would this be enough for you to settle down? Or how much are you really aiming for as your final salary? This 40k situation is achieved after working at the company for 8-10 years so would be achieved around the age of 30 and then could be at 40k until you retire, with a decent - ish private & public pension.

What's your thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Outside London- Yes
Inside London- No, I'd want at least £50k
Yeah I'd be happy!

Obviously a lot of people on here have high aims but £40k is a very decent salary to most people

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.
Reply 8
No. Frankly I'd be disappointed if my final salary wasn't mid 6-figures.
Reply 9
I dont care how much money I make so yeah I would take that
Original post by Noble.

:hand:

And what makes you think youre worth so much :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I love the job then as long as I have enough to live comfortably on I'll be happy 😊

There are things that are more important than money.
no.

I would be happy with it right now, but only for a year or two more max.

I want a kids pretty soon, and I want to earn enough to support my wife to have a really comfortable life where she can look after the kids and does not have to work. having only me earning, and only earning 40k? nah.. The job I start in a few weeks is roughly 30k, depending on overtime, and that is less then a year after graduating. I fully aim to be on 50k minimum before me and my wife look at having kids, and then rising upwards as my kids grow up.

I grew up in a household that had a combined income of around £120-50k, and I would personally consider it a failure if I did not match what my parents have done.
Reply 13
Original post by rockrunride
Depends on the responsibility, but fine, inflation adjusted of course. Do I get to travel?

Not particularly interested in the idea of children.

5 weeks holiday per year. Could stack them up over two years to take maybe 7 weeks in one hit. No longer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Noble.

That's high expectations. What are you planning to study / have as a career?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by fallen_acorns
no.

I would be happy with it right now, but only for a year or two more max.

I want a kids pretty soon, and I want to earn enough to support my wife to have a really comfortable life where she can look after the kids and does not have to work. having only me earning, and only earning 40k? nah.. The job I start in a few weeks is roughly 30k, depending on overtime, and that is less then a year after graduating. I fully aim to be on 50k minimum before me and my wife look at having kids, and then rising upwards as my kids grow up.

I grew up in a household that had a combined income of around £120-50k, and I would personally consider it a failure if I did not match what my parents have done.

What degree did you study? & what job are you going in to? (Congrats)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Yes, provided that my work was fulfilling. However, I do not intend on being an employee for very long, maybe 1-2 years.
Yes, provided it was the job I wanted. I'm more interested in fulfilling certain career ambitions then making loads of money.
Reply 18
Original post by edgarcats
Yes, provided it was the job I wanted. I'm more interested in fulfilling certain career ambitions then making loads of money.

Nice! What career ambitions do you have? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by VannR
Yes, provided that my work was fulfilling. However, I do not intend on being an employee for very long, maybe 1-2 years.

Awesome!! Do you have a business plan drawn up??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending