The Student Room Group

Business studies Unit 1 AS Edexcel

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rohan taneja
Also Q3 is not retained profit it is human resources because in a business plan the person already states what finance they use...?

The question said most businesses include this...So it could not be retained profits as no new companies have retained profits, also the example given was a new firm.
Look the question didnt once mention about luxury goods at all, you don't need any background information at all so you can forget about what cath kidson actually is. The only thing you needed to know was the difference between the two growth of sales. Now, as you say meeting the consumers wants, would increase both sales, but it wouldn't separate the margin by 30%. The only possible explanation for this is unemployment rate increasing in UK, which limits the growth, which we see as the growth rate decreases compared to the international rate.
Also Q3 is not retained profit it is human resources because in a business plan the person already states what finance they use...?

The answer is retained profit as this not no use in a business plan. Human resources is not the answer as this is included in the plan
Original post by JodieMarsh
Look the question didnt once mention about luxury goods at all, you don't need any background information at all so you can forget about what cath kidson actually is. The only thing you needed to know was the difference between the two growth of sales. Now, as you say meeting the consumers wants, would increase both sales, but it wouldn't separate the margin by 30%. The only possible explanation for this is unemployment rate increasing in UK, which limits the growth, which we see as the growth rate decreases compared to the international rate.

I totally agree with you but it did not ask why there is a difference between the uk and International. It simply asked why they had both risen
What did you guys put for decrease in Gov spending? Its got nothing to do with taxation etc....what could it be? I mean i spoke about government funding to new businesses may decline.... and something else
Ok enought about Q8! THE ANSWER WAS B AHAHA, ok on to decrease in gov spending. What did u put
Reply 246
Original post by oakora6678
The question said most businesses include this...So it could not be retained profits as no new companies have retained profits, also the example given was a new firm.

True but its not retained profit... even If i did get that wrong i still would have gotten the three mark question :frown:
Original post by JodieMarsh

Yes. if you focus on the 30% difference then you are right, but just as a 30% change is significant so is 20% and 50% sales growth. The question doesnt necessarily focus on the difference in % change. Just as you can focus on the % change difference you can focus on increased sales.
True but its not retained profit... even If i did get that wrong i still would have gotten the three mark question :frown:

as in the retained answer is correct as the question asked which one is incorrect.
Original post by 16161616
I totally agree with you but it did not ask why there is a difference between the uk and International. It simply asked why they had both risen

You must've had a different paper from everybody else because at no point did it ask why sales increased for both. Just accept the fact you lost a few marks, no big deal :smile:
Reply 250
The exchange rate question I had no idea what to write because I ran out of time because i left the question till the end but i got the one mark and second mark for the right box and definiton of exchange rate
So....how would a decrease in government spending effect PROVIDE....
True but its not retained profit... even If i did get
that wrong i still would have gotten the three mark question :frown:

After you get part A wrong your mark for that question as a whole is capped at 2 no matter what
Original post by daalchaval
What did you guys put for decrease in Gov spending? Its got nothing to do with taxation etc....what could it be? I mean i spoke about government funding to new businesses may decline.... and something else

I struggled on that question. I also spoke about new business funding and how it doesn't affect the business as Matthew used his own money to start the business.

I couldn't think of anything relating to tax as reducing spending isn't relevant to tax so I spoke about the reduction in spending on things like transport and infrastructure about customers having difficulties in getting to the pop up shops of the store and being unable to buy the products because spending on transport etc has reduced.
Completely unsure if i'll get any marks for talking about spending on transport etc but found that question very hard!
Original post by MatthewPaulW
I struggled on that question. I also spoke about new business funding and how it doesn't affect the business as Matthew used his own money to start the business.

I couldn't think of anything relating to tax as reducing spending isn't relevant to tax so I spoke about the reduction in spending on things like transport and infrastructure about customers having difficulties in getting to the pop up shops of the store and being unable to buy the products because spending on transport etc has reduced.
Completely unsure if i'll get any marks for talking about spending on transport etc but found that question very hard!

same here...I mean i defined the government budget for goodness sake! I think many will have slipped up on that. Found it good overall.
I found the whole of section A very easy it just took me too long and I had to rush section B quite a lot, they should definitely give increase the time for that exam.

In the Section B question that asked you to list two reasons why demand increased, how did you guys get an increase in income? where did it state that?

I said that Pop up stores give the product a unique and temporary feature as they are only there for a given time so it can be a USP.

The other reason was the unique and exclusive design that Matthew offered. Or at least that's what I considered.
Original post by oakora6678
Yes sometimes sales increase but thats only for inferior goods, e.g. cheap goods, not cath kidstons products, also if they wanted to know why there was a difference they would ask why the difference is 30%, but they asked why they both rose, nothing to do with the difference between them.

I was unsure on this question.

I went for the consumer wants answer as the question doesn't ask for why there is a difference in the UK and International market it just asks why the sales increased.
Fairly sure that UK unemployment wouldn't lead to such an increase in sales as cath kidson products are handbags and designer goods right?

Do think the question could have been worded slightly different as you could interpret it in a couple of ways.
Original post by Supreme G
You must've had a different paper from everybody else because at no point did it ask why sales increased for both. Just accept the fact you lost a few marks, no big deal :smile:

haha what was the question then?
Original post by daalchaval
same here...I mean i defined the government budget for goodness sake! I think many will have slipped up on that. Found it good overall.

Seems like a lot of people struggled on that question so perhaps grade boundaries may drop slightly, as the government spending question hasn't come up in a previous Unit 1 exam in like 3 years if you look at past papers!
About question 8, it clearly is CUSTOMER WANTS WERE MET. There's no way unemployment can increase sales unless they give you some more evidence about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending