The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by keromedic
I've only seem FMA Brotherhood but have been told FMA is terrible.

:O
FMA is far from a terrible anime, if you enjoyed Brotherhood you'll enjoy it (although its scale is a lot smaller so it may feel a bit underwhelming if you watch it after Brotherhood). I'm a big fan of the series so I may be a little biased towards it, but it really isn't terrible at all. I'm interested in seeing any genuine reasons that FMA is 'terrible', since I haven't seen any yet.
I loved FMA! Everyone's favourite characters?

My favourite, I think, had to be Roy Mustang. He was just so weird in an amusing, random and then strangely caring way.
I totally ship Roy and Riza! There is some gorgeous fan-art for this ship:

Spoiler

Aren't they gorgeous?

I loved the humour in FMA, I think it was definitely needed to make the whole anime less depressing, don't you think? There were many sad events, and the Elric brothers' story was even based on a sad one really. Definitely pulled at my heartstrings in several places. I loved the appearance of the Seven Sins and something I really adored about the anime was how it portrayed women. I'm not a full-blown feminist as such, but it was just quite wonderful to see some women taking on a tougher lifestyle/appearance; there was nice variety including Riza, Winry, Lust and Izumi.

Wondered if anyone else has seen Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa?
I really enjoyed it and thought it was very cool.

I really enjoy the humour in anime; currently I'm watching Death Note and the humour is also brilliant here. I was encouraged to watch it by a friend years ago but never did until recently because my favourite idol will be playing character L in the Korean musical Death Note (데스노트) throughout June and July. Is anyone else a fan of this anime?
Original post by EdwardElric
FMA is far from a terrible anime, if you enjoyed Brotherhood you'll enjoy it (although its scale is a lot smaller so it may feel a bit underwhelming if you watch it after Brotherhood). I'm a big fan of the series so I may be a little biased towards it, but it really isn't terrible at all. I'm interested in seeing any genuine reasons that FMA is 'terrible', since I haven't seen any yet.

:ditto: About the only negative thing that springs to mind is that it isn't as epic as Brotherhood, though it handles the scenes from earlier on in the manga far better. :yes:

Original post by shadowshy

My favourite, I think, had to be Roy Mustang. He was just so weird in an amusing, random and then strangely caring way.

Spoiler

Aren't they gorgeous?

I loved the humour in FMA, I think it was definitely needed to make the whole anime less depressing, don't you think? There were many sad events, and the Elric brothers' story was even based on a sad one really. Definitely pulled at my heartstrings in several places. I loved the appearance of the Seven Sins and something I really adored about the anime was how it portrayed women. I'm not a full-blown feminist as such, but it was just quite wonderful to see some women taking on a tougher lifestyle/appearance; there was nice variety including Riza, Winry, Lust and Izumi.

Wondered if anyone else has seen Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa?

I really enjoy the humour in anime; currently I'm watching Death Note and the humour is also brilliant here. I was encouraged to watch it by a friend years ago but never did until recently because my favourite idol will be playing character L in the Korean musical Death Note (데스노트) throughout June and July. Is anyone else a fan of this anime?

Here's the small image in full size. :smile:

My favourite character from the series has to be Armstrong, so funny, but surprisingly powerful as well! One of the best in my favourite character of all time list. :biggrin:

I have seen Conqueror of Shamballa, though it was a LONG time ago, can't remember many of the details. Seems I rated it highly though! :p:

I'm a big fan of Death Note (it's in my Top 50 anime list, along with FMA: Brotherhood), but I can't say I watched it for the humour! Though...

10 Death Note episode spoilers

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish
:ditto: About the only negative thing that springs to mind is that it isn't as epic as Brotherhood, though it handles the scenes from earlier on in the manga far better. :yes:

Here's the small image in full size. :smile:

My favourite character from the series has to be Armstrong, so funny, but surprisingly powerful as well! One of the best in my favourite character of all time list. :biggrin:

I have seen Conqueror of Shamballa, though it was a LONG time ago, can't remember many of the details. Seems I rated it highly though! :p:

I'm a big fan of Death Note (it's in my Top 50 anime list, along with FMA: Brotherhood), but I can't say I watched it for the humour! Though...

10 Death Note episode spoilers

The over exaggerated potato chip scene was pretty funny.
Original post by shadowshy

Spoiler

Aren't they gorgeous?

Mustang is one of my all time favourite characters, and I must admit I do 'ship' him and Riza Hawkeye :biggrin:. I love Riza as well, I love a strong female character in anime. My favourite character is Edward Elric though (heck, my username says it all). I love the original anime since it expands on the Seven Sins in a lot more detail, and as I said before focuses a lot more on Ed and Al as apposed to the larger cast in Brotherhood.

I saw Conqueror of Shamballa a while ago (since the original FMA ending left me feeling a little miffed). I remember enjoying it, but I felt it was a little unnecessary, and I wish they had just wrapped up the show within the series. Still, it's an enjoyable movie in and of itself.

On Friday night I attempted to watch The Sacred Star of Milos, the second FMA movie. I got about half an hour into it before giving up, it just didn't feel like FMA at all. Sure, it had the same characters, but I didn't enjoy what I saw at all. I must admit, I started it very late so I was pretty tired and therefore not in the best shape to watch it. I may come back to it in the future, though.

Oh, and I'm a big fan of Death Note. I consider it the anime that truly sparked my interest, and since it was one of my first anime it really surprised me that an animated show could have such a good story. I need to rewatch it soon, I have very fond memories of Death Note.
(edited 8 years ago)
Voted for Show By Rock!!'s Plasmagica in Sanrio's annual character poll. :proud: Apparently they and the series' other band ShinganCrimsonZ are on track to win at this early stage, beating the likes of Hello Kitty and My Melody! :zomg:

I suppose I'll give it a watch then. Ta

Bit of a random Q but by how much does ai no exorcist anime differ from the manga?
I've just read the first few chapters of Black Clover and so far it's screaming Naruto but it's got potential and i can sense a good arc coming up. Does anyone know when Naruto: The last will be released in the UK with japanese audio?
Difficult one, as I was discussing with another member on here a week ago. The first anime has better pacing at the start, and a completely anime original (but not bad, considering) conclusion; Brotherhood sticks to the manga and is the better of the two series in my opinion, but it has a very rushed beginning because it assumes people will have already seen the original. It slows down at the point where the first series deviated from the manga, and is great from then onwards.

If you don't mind fast pacing and lack of detail, you could probably jump right into Brotherhood. But if you're okay adding an extra 50 episodes, watching the first anime might add to your enjoyment of Brotherhood afterwards. :dontknow:

Well, since I'm used to watching the long-running anime (Naruto: 633 episodes and counting o.O) I'll watch both. Maybe I'll watch Brotherhood second.

Original post by hamza_ahmad
Fandom queen you should watch brotherhood just alchemist is bad

Well, I'll watch both anyway, since there are mixed reviews about them.

Big fan of the series? I'll say :-P Isn't Edward Elric the main character??

BTW: are there any threads exclusively for Naruto? I just feel like there's so much going on that I need to vent out my feelings. I really do love that manga, despite knowing that it's deteriorated.
Original post by fandom-queen
Well, since I'm used to watching the long-running anime (Naruto: 633 episodes and counting o.O) I'll watch both. Maybe I'll watch Brotherhood second.

Well, I'll watch both anyway, since there are mixed reviews about them.

Big fan of the series? I'll say :-P Isn't Edward Elric the main character??

BTW: are there any threads exclusively for Naruto? I just feel like there's so much going on that I need to vent out my feelings. I really do love that manga, despite knowing that it's deteriorated.

Yeah, Edward Elric is the main character of the series. I made my TSR account when I was obsessed with FMA, so I'm stuck with the username (not complaining though).
Original post by xDave-
The second half of Unlimited Blade Works feels like a different show to the first, and thank god it does.

I agree. That said, being a fan of the lore from the visual novel, I didn't mind the first half of the series being a tad slow. It would have been nice if ALL the character building didn't just focus on Shirou and Rin. Though, I understand why they had to build up the whole 'why Shirou wants to be hero of justice shiz...'

Spoiler

Also currently watching Arslan Senki, I'm on episode 4. I'm enjoying it so far, especially the EPIC BATTLES, and I expect the writing to remain strong as it's by Hiromu Arakawa who wrote FMA. She seems a bit fond of male protagonists with daddy issues (although, you could say that about a lot of anime).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by El Nombre

Also currently watching Arslan Senki, I'm on episode 4. I'm enjoying it so far, especially the EPIC BATTLES, and I expect the writing to remain strong as it's by Hiromu Arakawa who wrote FMA. She seems a bit fond of male protagonists with daddy issues (although, you could say that about a lot of anime).

I'm watching that too. Watched up to Episode 7. So far so good and it's got a really good plot. The protagonist i'm guessing, starts off as weak but with a little help, he gets stronger. I was reading the manga and the front cover showed a picture of a handome Arslen. So haha
Decided to stop watching all the season stuff for a little while as it was boring me. Randomly picked up Death Note though.
I know it's an old(ish) anime, but what are people's opinion on the monogatari series? A friend had told me to watch it, but apparently there's quite a lot of ecchi in it :s
Original post by corpeal
I know it's an old(ish) anime, but what are people's opinion on the monogatari series? A friend had told me to watch it, but apparently there's quite a lot of ecchi in it :s

It's not that old! :zomg: I wasn't a fan, personally, though I seem to be in the minority there. I only watched the first series, but felt it had too much inane chatter and not enough plot/action for my liking (plus there was the weird ecchi moments, wasn't a fan of that either).

I would recommend Katanagatari by the same original author, however - I found it had a lot of the good stuff from Bakemonogatari, but with none of the bad stuff, and a more likable lead duo which made the (still heavy) dialogue interesting as opposed to sleep inducing. :tongue:
Original post by corpeal

It's one of my favourite series. Like AJ said, it has a lot of dialogue and not much action (although when there are fight scenes, they are great). It has unique animation, a great OST and good characters. Your enjoyment of the show depends on whether you enjoy the witty conversations between characters about random and pointless things most the time. Some people love it and some people find it boring as hell.

As for the ecchi, yes it's present in the series but I just ignore it. It's nothing worse than what you'll find in a lot of other anime barring a few particular scenes from Nisemonogatari and Tsukimonogatari. Bake has a bit of ecchi, Nise has tons of it but after that it calms down a bit. Neko, Second Season and Hana don't have much ecchi as far as I can remember.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Red Fox
It's one of my favourite series. Like AJ said, it has a lot of dialogue and not much action (although when there are fight scenes, they are great). It has unique animation, a great OST and good characters. Your enjoyment of the show depends on whether you enjoy the witty conversations between characters about random and pointless things most the time. Some people love it and some people find it boring as hell.

As for the ecchi, yes it's present in the series but I just ignore it. It's nothing worse than what you'll find in a lot of other anime barring a few particular scenes from Nisemonogatari and Tsukimonogatari. Bake has a bit of ecchi, Nise has tons of it but after that it calms down a bit. Neko, Second Season and Hana don't have much ecchi as far as I can remember.

It's not that old! :zomg: I wasn't a fan, personally, though I seem to be in the minority there. I only watched the first series, but felt it had too much inane chatter and not enough plot/action for my liking (plus there was the weird ecchi moments, wasn't a fan of that either).I would recommend Katanagatari by the same original author, however - I found it had a lot of the good stuff from Bakemonogatari, but with none of the bad stuff, and a more likable lead duo which made the (still heavy) dialogue interesting as opposed to sleep inducing. :tongue:

I think I'll watch a few episodes and see how I find it. Thank you for the swift replies ^_^
Original post by corpeal
I think I'll watch a few episodes and see how I find it. Thank you for the swift replies ^_^

I would say if the first 5 episodes (2 arcs) don't interest you then you probably won't like any of the rest of it.
Currently working on another 'Identify the Anime' thread, should hopefully have that posted later tonight. :smile:

[EDIT]...make that tomorrow, finding the right screenshots is time consuming. :p:
(edited 8 years ago)
Got myself a Crunchyroll paid account - my goodness the video quality is amazing! A shame that it doesn't have many of the anime I want to watch (Gankotsuou, Welcome to the NHK, Ghost in the Shell : Stand Alone Complex) to name a few.

Latest