The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheTruthTeller
Guys p2 question here: Does something with constant speed and veloctiy have a zero resultant force?

Yes :wink:
A thick metal plate will stop alpha and beta radiation but not gamma radiation. Is this right?:K:
Guys p2 question here: Does something with constant speed and veloctiy have a zero resultant force?

I believe the answer is no, for the object to travel at a steady velocity then the resistive force must balance with the driving force. Is this correct? :s-smilie:
Completely forget P2 and P3 was this week until now. :colondollar: How do you answer the 4 mark questions on electromagnets? I don't understand. Does it induce an alternating current which travels through the iron core and then what...?
Reply 184

Speed is the movement of an body, and is not a vector; velocity is. This means that velocity is the speed of an object travelling in a certain direction. Zero resultant force is when a body is at rest, or is travelling at a constant velocity. Technically constant speed and a velocity with zero resultant force are different terms, but are in essence the same thing (the only difference being that one is within a certain direction, and the other is not).
Original post by 11Jason11
Feel free to share any suggestions on what could possiblly be on the exam, or any questions you have :smile:

AQA Physics P2 & P3 ---Wednesday 20th May 2015

mains electricity and nuclear fusion and fission i know for definite is coming up on p2.
ct scans,x rays and ulrasound are probably coming up on p3.
Reply 186
Any ideas on the 6 marker?
Reply 187
Original post by thurs001.310
A thick metal plate will stop alpha and beta radiation but not gamma radiation. Is this right?:K:

Absorption for alpha= skin/paper...travels up to 5cm in air
Absorption for beta=Al sheet (5cm) or lead (2-3mm)...travels up to 1m in air
Absorption for gamma= Lead (several cm) or thick concrete (1m)...range is infinite
Reply 188
Original post by wojiaoshakira
mains electricity and nuclear fusion and fission i know for definite is coming up on p2.
ct scans,x rays and ulrasound are probably coming up on p3.

What questions can there be for mains?
Difference between constant and terminal velocity?
Original post by olegasr
With people predicting that it will be a plan your own experiment type thing, it could be a question on how you can find out the centre of mass or how to find out focal length of a lens. I'd look over those two just in case I think.

wait, how would you do that? if someone could please explain?
would be highly appreciated!
Original post by sunnyrays07
Completely forget P2 and P3 was this week until now. :colondollar: How do you answer the 4 mark questions on electromagnets? I don't understand. Does it induce an alternating current which travels through the iron core and then what...?

primary coil creates magnetic field lines that pass through the iron core. As the current changes direction, so does the direction of the magnetic field. The changing of magnetic field direction in the core induces a p.d. across the secondary coil.
P2 six marker might be stars
P3 six marker might be how to find the centre of mass of some object by dangling from the plumbline!
Original post by Chandan1998
P2 six marker might be stars
P3 six marker might be how to find the centre of mass of some object by dangling from the plumbline!

Stars on P2 would be a blessing :biggrin::h:
Reply 194
Difference between constant and terminal velocity?

Constant velocity is when there is no change in speed nor direction (i.e. a constant speed and direction). Terminal velocity is the constant speed the object is at when the medium that they are going through produces the most resistance it can essentially.
Reply 195
Original post by t.thompson22
Stars on P2 would be a blessing :biggrin::h:

That and nuclear fission/fusion would be so easy!
Original post by sunnyrays07

:biggrin: I think this is what happens:
1. the alternating current (from the mians elect. supply) creates an alternating p.d in the secondary coil
2. this creates a changing magnetic field in the iron core,
3. which induces a alternating magnetic field in the secondary coil and hence an alternating p.d
I think this is the right order, hope that helps :smile:
don't know if anyone has posted these already but thought i would just incase :smile: i found them useful for c2?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek_DtGRlZGA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_g9Ei_3PM0

Good luck everyone
Can someone post link of p3 aqa Jan 2013 paper and june 2012 with Mark schemes?? Thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
P2 - stars probably or terminal velocity. Both would probably be okay, just have to proof read everything!

P3 - unfortunately for me, it'll probably be on the motor effect or transformers, which I kind of get, but just find hard to write logically about.

Good luck for everyone sitting it and happy revising :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending