The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 History Superpower Relations 1944-90 (The Cold War) - Monday 8th June 2015

Who is doing this exam?
What are you guys revising? Any predictions as to what might come up?
If they keep to pattern then definitely Arms Race and Détente.
Any suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! Yes i'm doing this exam, and i think Detente is going to come up. How are you feeling about it?
Reply 2
Original post by Knishkenibble
Hi! Yes i'm doing this exam, and i think Detente is going to come up. How are you feeling about it?

I'm slowly getting there, starting to do plans on past questions and go over content again. What about you?
Same here. Are you planning on answering the start of the CW or end controversy? Any predictions on what you think might come up?
Reply 4
Anyone doing Germany 1900-1945?
I'm really stuck on detente, and seeing a lot of predictions are saying its gonna come up, can anyone help me? Would be much appreciated
Reply 6
Original post by keileymclachlan
I'm really stuck on detente, and seeing a lot of predictions are saying its gonna come up, can anyone help me? Would be much appreciated

I'm not so confident on detente either. however if there was to be a question it would be on whether it was successful in introducing cooperation, why it failed, the significance of economic realities and how favourable it was on both sides usa and use.I would try to do plans on these and also look at the indicative content (mark schemes) on edexcel they really help.
Original post by Mms578
I'm not so confident on detente either. however if there was to be a question it would be on whether it was successful in introducing cooperation, why it failed, the significance of economic realities and how favourable it was on both sides usa and use.I would try to do plans on these and also look at the indicative content (mark schemes) on edexcel they really help.

Thank you! My teacher has been no help whatsoever, Ive gone to her so many times yet she just sends me away then told me today Im not gonna pass the course ugh:mad:
Reply 8
Thank you! My teacher has been no help whatsoever, Ive gone to her so many times yet she just sends me away then told me today Im not gonna pass the course ugh:mad:

Wow. That's really crappy of your teacher . You shouldn't worry too much we have around a month to prepare for this is exam. Just try doing exam practices on these essay questions and hopefully you will do fine.
What do people think is generally easier to do regarding the controversies? I've been preparing to do the start of the cold war, however i think the end has generally 4/5 main points, all of which can be more easily argued for? What do people think?
Reply 10
What do people think is generally easier to do regarding the controversies? I've been preparing to do the start of the cold war, however i think the end has generally 4/5 main points, all of which can be more easily argued for? What do people think?

I think the first controversy is more easier to do but that's only if your feeling more confident. Otherwise revise both

I feel end of cold war is way more easier as you only need to learn 4/5 points (as you said) and you will almost always argue that it was Gorbachev that ended the cold war
Okay thanks. Do you think they could ask an ending question solely on the collapse of the USSR/ fall of the Berlin Wall? There's limited info on it in my textbook...
Hi ! I'm giving this exam as well and I'm freaking out...
I have no idea how to do the source based questions and we don't have a teacher anymore and even though I've always gotten A*'s in o level history A level history has so far gotten me a D.
Please help.
Original post by Dramallama37
Hi ! I'm giving this exam as well and I'm freaking out...
I have no idea how to do the source based questions and we don't have a teacher anymore and even though I've always gotten A*'s in o level history A level history has so far gotten me a D.
Please help.

Okay you have time to learn what to do so try not to panic. For the part A question, you're going to want to spend around 50 minutes answering it as it's worth 30 marks. Try and make sure that you have maybe 3 main paragraph points of which you can elaborate well, as personally i find 3 strong points with enough range/ depth flows much better than 5/6 weaker, short paragraph points. For part B, make sure you cross- reference and really analyse the sources as they're worth 24 marks alone. The other 16 marks comes from your own knowledge, yet you need to make sure that this is well integrated into the sources. I'd spend 10-15 minutes planning this, otherwise you'll get really confused and lost in thought when writing. Also try and remember to include Orthodox/ Revisionist/ Post-Revisionist for the beginning controversy or Ideational/ Realist for the end.

If you need anything else feel free to ask!

Omg mine is the same! Except she expects us to get As! We got Bs in our coursework and were literally just off an A.
Original post by S.Mundane
Omg mine is the same! Except she expects us to get As! We got Bs in our coursework and were literally just off an A.

Oh that sucks haha. Our teacher's have been pretty good and i managed to get full marks in both coursework pieces, so if you have any questions about the exam then feel free to ask. My main concern is the sources as if i don't understand one of them, i freak out big time haha.
Oh that sucks haha. Our teacher's have been pretty good and i managed to get full marks in both coursework pieces, so if you have any questions about the exam then feel free to ask. My main concern is the sources as if i don't understand one of them, i freak out big time haha.

I feel much more comfortable with sources because I've done the cold war in gcse but can't remember much of, so sources will just help me jog my memory. But I'm so confused about section A. I haven't learnt anything all year. I'm going through a revision guide and just planning to do essays but it's so close to my A2 English exam as well.
Original post by S.Mundane
I feel much more comfortable with sources because I've done the cold war in gcse but can't remember much of, so sources will just help me jog my memory. But I'm so confused about section A. I haven't learnt anything all year. I'm going through a revision guide and just planning to do essays but it's so close to my A2 English exam as well.

Yeah i find analysing in Section A difficult as it can sound really narrative. Do you want to quiz each other?
Yeah i find analysing in Section A difficult as it can sound really narrative. Do you want to quiz each other?

Yes please

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending