The Student Room Group

OMAM WJEC GCSE English Literature

Scroll to see replies

What kind of question could it be on candy? And can someone explain to me the prejudice them of the novella?? I'm freaking out for this exam mannnn:frown:
Original post by Chardevs
What kind of question could it be on candy? And can someone explain to me the prejudice them of the novella?? I'm freaking out for this exam mannnn:frown:

Probably 'why is this is the character important? Talk about....' They basically give you a list of what to write about and you just have to know your stuff.

In terms of prejudice and discrimination - it's a major theme in the novella as a whole. It's sort of an archetype/vaguely microcosmic perspective of steinbecks insinuation of societies of the time. For example, Candy is old and crippled and he talks a lot about how he has outlived his usefulness. His dog is sort of a representation of him using animalistic imagery - his dog is old and crippled and gets shot in the head which perhaps suggest that the same fate awaits Candy as he has outlived his usefulness.
Also - prejudices against Curleys Wife via being unidentifiable as an individual and just a possession of her husband as being a woman in the context. Prejudice against the mentally handicapped via Lennie. Prejudice against blacks via Crooks. I suppose you could say prejudice against humankind as he portrays the whole of mankind as isolated and lonely with the only cure being the ill-fated dreams of the migrant workers. General prejudices against women are also present because most references, besides Aunt Clara, are all sexually natured (Susy at the brothel and CW being libidinous and coquettish generally.)

any nd question you get, just link it to the major themes. You will be fine, good luck!!
Exam went really well for me, was hoping for Candy and he came up!

Hope it was ok for everyone else, found the extract harder than the essay personally.

Quite broad questions as well - hopefully everyone could relate or answer one well.

Just want my results now!
How did you guys find it? What questions did you do?
I found it ok, I did 1c the one that wasn't about candy. You?
Original post by MissHussein
How did you guys find it? What questions did you do?

It actually went pretty well for me:smile: Usually, I have like no time and have to rush the conclusion but my timing went well and I was really relaxed in the exam :u: I did the question on Candy, tbh probably could have managed both essays but I felt the Candy essay was easier to word.
The only thing I'm stressing at is that I didn't put a conclusion or opening on my context question. Completely forgot too! I only did 4 analysis too and you're meant to do 5 aren't you? Oh well.
Now I'll **** my grade up in my next literature exam because I know nothing on About a boy :frown:
How did it go for you?
Original post by Beforetheworst
It actually went pretty well for me:smile: Usually, I have like no time and have to rush the conclusion but my timing went well and I was really relaxed in the exam :u: I did the question on Candy, tbh probably could have managed both essays but I felt the Candy essay was easier to word.
The only thing I'm stressing at is that I didn't put a conclusion or opening on my context question. Completely forgot too! I only did 4 analysis too and you're meant to do 5 aren't you? Oh well.
Now I'll **** my grade up in my next literature exam because I know nothing on About a boy :frown:
How did it go for you?

Aaw great to hear! I am sure you did fine, do not stress!

And it went fine for me also, I did question (c) and the poem was good too, even though everyone was saying it was hard! Hope we all did well x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by camilledanielsen
Exam went really well for me, was hoping for Candy and he came up!

Hope it was ok for everyone else, found the extract harder than the essay personally.

Quite broad questions as well - hopefully everyone could relate or answer one well.

Just want my results now!

Ah that's great! Think mine went okay too. I know loads on Candy so I didn't even have to like think. :smile:
Yeah the extract question was hard how it asked how he creates mood and atmosphere instead of what mood and atmosphere was created, yet I still think I did good!
I'm more worried about my second exam! What's everyone studying next? Anyone doing Inspector Calls or About A boy?
Original post by Jakobus2012
I found it ok, I did 1c the one that wasn't about candy. You?

Me too!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MissHussein
Aaw great to hear! I am sure you did fine, do not stress!

And it went fine for me also, I did question (c) and the poem was good too, even though everyone was saying it was hard! Hope we all did well x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah the poem wasn't too bad, just struggled with how its written in the 2nd poem. Did anyone else know that the cheeky buggers didn't put the points you have to include in poetry!! Luckily, I knew them.
Is it true that the poem 'city lilacs' was about prostitution? It's all over twitter that that's what it was about. if so I literally wrote nothing of the sort, did you all write about nature or prostitution?
Reply 51
Original post by olivialilyholt
Is it true that the poem 'city lilacs' was about prostitution? It's all over twitter that that's what it was about. if so I literally wrote nothing of the sort, did you all write about nature or prostitution?

I wrote about prostitution and drugs, and our teacher said it was about drugs but as long as you explained where you got your ideas from it should be fine!
Guys is it true other exam boards allow candidates to have books because isn't that unfair ?
Original post by olivialilyholt

I started with writing about nature as that was the point of the poem but I went on to link the prostitution to the flower. Literally everyone was like no!!! You were so wrong !!! But I wrote it anyway so ...
Original post by Cinna21
Guys is it true other exam boards allow candidates to have books because isn't that unfair ?

Yup, I'm afraid thats the case. My brother did AQA and he couldn't believe it when I told him we weren't allowed the texts! It is unfair because it makes say an A in one exam board mean something different to an A in another. Tbh I think they should scrap exam boards and have one course for everyone doing a particular subject
Reply 55
Original post by Beforetheworst

I'm more worried about my second exam! What's everyone studying next? Anyone doing Inspector Calls or About A boy?

Yeah I'm doing both of those. :smile:
I'm doing An Inspector Calls and Heroes on Friday... Anyone else with any tips?
I'm doing lord of the flies and the history boys :no: going to do awful.
Original post by jxssamy
Yeah I'm doing both of those. :smile:

Oh dear, I know nothing on them. Definitely going to fail!!!
Original post by manningA15
Yup, I'm afraid thats the case. My brother did AQA and he couldn't believe it when I told him we weren't allowed the texts! It is unfair because it makes say an A in one exam board mean something different to an A in another. Tbh I think they should scrap exam boards and have one course for everyone doing a particular subject

Yeh I totally agree the gcse grades differ every year too!!! so one person who got B last year would get a C this years its so unfair. If I had the text I I should be able to get a A but well I guess thats life, I better carry on revising for Inspector Calls & Heroes tomorrow :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending