OCR G542 Psychology Monday 18th May *OFFICIAL THREAD*

Scroll to see replies

What do you think grade boundaries will be like for an a grade
Original post by Alisa121
What do you think grade boundaries will be like for an a grade

I reckon 83 marks maximum.
Original post by gemmax6x
Section A:

Loftus I said control was randomising the position of the critical q in the questionnaire given to p's
This would avoid order effects and allow for cause and effect to be established by avoiding extraneous variables therefore improving validity

Baron Cohen eyes task
All pictures of same area of face, all black and white, all same size and all magazine photos displayed to p's with 2 mental states underneath which were semantic opposites and complex and simple mental states were used. The target word was decided by panel of 8 judges who unanimously decided on the target word. P's had to pick the right one.

Savage
Pointing board was a laminated version of the lexigram and wasn't used by Sherman and Austin as it wasn't clear what they were pointing at. Data from it gathered by real time observations by researchers.

Milgram
40 men from New Haven area in America aged 20-50 from a range of occupations such as postal clerks and labourers
Strength is that due to being from a range of occupations it is generalisable

Reicher
Cognitive alternative operationalised by introduction of 10th prisoner the trade unionist
This aimed to give the prisoners new ideas as to how to deal with their situation

Piliavin
Critical early; model would stand in critical area and help victim 70 seconds after they collapsed
Adjacent early ; model stood in adjacent area and helped victim 70 seconds after they collapsed

Bandura
Male aggressive model caused more physical aggression in both boys and girls
Female aggressive model caused more verbal aggression in girls

Samuel and Bryant
One judgement and standard 2 question conditions
One judgement was where the child was asked the question after they had seen the transformation take place e.g after the counters had been spread out

Maguire
Variables were time spent as taxi driver and volume in right posterior hippocampus
Conclusion was there was a positive correlation

Sperry
Can't remember the qs

Dement and kleitman
Told they should report to lab just before usual bedtime and to avoid caffeine and alcohol on day of study but to eat normally
Once there they had electrodes placed on them; EEG, dog and emg electrodes and placed in a dark quiet room

Rosenhan
They acted normally and joined in on ward activities
They took notes of their observations of interactions between staff and patients

Thigpen and cleckley
Eve White had iq of 110 but eve black had iq of 104
In the EEG measure eve white and jane had 11 cycles per min but eve black had 12.5 cycles per min

Griffiths
Ethical issues upheld were consent and withdrawal
Consent: although didn't gain consent of ps he obtained informed consent of the amusement park owner
Withdrawal: ps had right to withdraw after 60 gambles and could object to using the fruitskill machine

Those were my answers, hoping they weren't too bad !

i said negative correlation for maguire
Original post by thiss1
i said negative correlation for maguire

I think it showed a positive correlation actually.
Reply 324
Original post by BethCx
Even if they ask for perspectives they are asking about studies....anyway it said 'in relation to the studies'

Yes, I know you're meant to give examples from the studies psychodynamic perspective.

However, your point shouldn't be that "One weakness of the ethics in Freud's study is that he did not obtain informed consent from Little Hans...", it should be:

"One weakness of the psychodynamic perspective in relation to ethics is that it often requires the participants to disclose personal and intimate details about theirselves in order for the researchers to be able to draw a conclusion and identify a root cause to the problem. For example..."

and THEN contextualise, i.e:
"Eve White had to recall the distressing memory of kissing her dead grandmother, which could have caused her psychological harm".
Original post by Kiytt
Yes, I know you're meant to give examples from the studies psychodynamic perspective.

However, your point shouldn't be that "One weakness of the ethics in Freud's study is that he did not obtain informed consent from Little Hans...", it should be:

"One weakness of the psychodynamic perspective in relation to ethics is that it often requires the participants to disclose personal and intimate details about theirselves in order for the researchers to be able to draw a conclusion and identify a root cause to the problem. For example..."

"Eve White had to recall the distressing memory of kissing her dead grandmother, which could have caused her psychological harm".

So I wasn't wrong.
Reply 326
Original post by jessica4398
what exactly were the second and third questions for section C psychodynamic perspective? Trying to work out if I got confused and wrote something similar for c) and d) or I'm just getting it mixed up with the Q's on section B.

a) Outline one assumption of the psychodynamic perspective.
b) Describe how the psychodynamic perspective could explain how someone may develop a phobia.
c) Describe one similarity and one difference between the way data is collected between any studies that take the psychodynamic perspective.
d) Discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the psychodynamic perspective in relation to ethical issues.
Original post by MCmnbvgyuio
If you've just spoken about the studies then you won't get all the marks. You have to make a general statement and then give a study as an example. So "A strength of the (approach/perspective) is (ethical issue). This is shown in the 'x' study because (explanation).

Then to get full marks you need to make a comment that links it back to the original general point

I know you have to start off each point by saying 'A strength of the psycodynamic approach in relation to ethics' and THEN use a study.
Original post by Craig1998
I think it showed a positive correlation actually.

It was a positive correlation. The conclusion in Maguire's study backed it up.
This exam was FAR easier than last year's.
Btw, how did you all answer part c of Section C. Specifically the similarity.

I put that they both used observations and interviews to collect data. Then gave assorted examples. Would this be ok for those 3 marks.
Original post by ilovereading
I missed this exam because I overslept -facepalm-
Retaking next year I guess ;P

How did you oversleep? It was at 1pm
Reply 332
So I wasn't wrong.

You might not have been—but the way you listed your points made me think you hadn't given strengths and weaknesses in direct relation to the perspective itself, but rather focused on the studies.

Anyway, it's in OCR's hands now. :smile:
What was the Freud question on section a
Original post by Alisa121
What was the Freud question on section a

How was data collected? (Through Hans father who had interviews etc. then passed onto Freud by letter).
Weakness of this method. (As Hans father was a supporter of Freud, he may have asked questions in a specific way to elicit specific responses).
Btw, how did you all answer part c of Section C. Specifically the similarity.

I put that they both used observations and interviews to collect data. Then gave assorted examples. Would this be ok for those 3 marks.

I wrote for the similarity that they used observations, and gave examples of Hans' father, and then of T&C.

For the difference (wasn't sure on this), I wrote that T&C used various of other methods e.g. psychometric testing, projective testing, etc, whereas Freud only used observation. I didn't talk about the interview, so I probably lost marks here.
Original post by annieprincess
I wrote for the similarity that they used observations, and gave examples of Hans' father, and then of T&C.

For the difference (wasn't sure on this), I wrote that T&C used various of other methods e.g. psychometric testing, projective testing, etc, whereas Freud only used observation. I didn't talk about the interview, so I probably lost marks here.

I put about T&C using qual AND quant data whereas Freud used qual.
Original post by Kiytt

Yes obviously but I thought you were saying you shouldnt mention studies at all haha
Original post by theperformer
How did you oversleep? It was at 1pm

1:30pm actually xD
I went to sleep at around 5/6am from cramming and was meant to wake up at 11am but woke up at 1:40pm instead. It takes me about 40 minutes to get to school and I obviously had to get ready. Got to school before exam finished but still had have to retake since I was like an hour and a half late :P
Original post by ilovereading
1:30pm actually xD
I went to sleep at around 5/6am from cramming and was meant to wake up at 11am but woke up at 1:40pm instead. It takes me about 40 minutes to get to school and I obviously had to get ready. Got to school before exam finished but still had have to retake since I was like an hour and a half late :P

Did you not set an alarm? Or even get people to wake you or whatever?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending