The Student Room Group

Who wants WJEC GEOGRAPHY HELP? (last minute revision)

There are six topics, Water, Climate change, Tectonics, Population, Globalisation and Development. If you're stuck on anything regarding these, let me know and i'll try my best to reply as quick as possible :smile:
You SPEC A right?
Reply 2
Original post by annonymous1102
You SPEC A right?

Yes i am :smile:
Ahh, that's cool ... coz we do SPEC B, sounds easier to yours tbh. Thank you anyway
Reply 4
Hi, I was just wondering I am doing Geography B do you know anything about that ??
Its becasue I am really confused on how ecosystems and how rivers work ??
If you can help thanks but if you cannot, thanks anyway :smile:
Reply 5
Do you have any suggestions as to what may come up for the case study question? A lot of people have said its going to be volcano one?!
Also are you doing water on the land?!
Could you explain the courses of the river to me as I always get so confused with the geography terminology!
Reply 6
Original post by Olithe
Hi, I was just wondering I am doing Geography B do you know anything about that ??
Its becasue I am really confused on how ecosystems and how rivers work ??
If you can help thanks but if you cannot, thanks anyway :smile:

sorry im doing specs A :/ but by rivers, is there a specific area? :smile:
Reply 7
Oh ok, thats fine.
The bit I am stuck on is:
1) How a rivers works
2) The parts of a river like meanders and Oxbow Lakes
3) Lower course features of a river
4) How to draw a digaram of a river that is sideways ?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Olithe
Oh ok thats fine
The bit I am stuck on is how a rivers works and the parts of a river like meanders and how to draw a digaram of a river that is sideways ?

the notes can be really confusing since they're not your own personal words, so what i got is you need to mention points in bold for the full mark when it asks you to draw or annotate a cross section of the a meander. (which is what you mean by river that is sideways, right? )

you need to mention:
Slip off slope (the bit that looks like the slope is the INSIDE of the meander), annotate what causes slip off slope - slow flowing water in the inside of the meander causes DEPOSITION where the river load is dropped to the river bed

River cliff (on the opposite side of the slip off slope/OUTSIDE of the meander) annotate why there is a river cliff - fast flowing water in the outside of the meander causes EROTION such as HYDRAULIC ACTION when water forces wears away the river bank

as for how the river work in general, you should know the water cycle (sun evaporate sea water, water condense into clouds up high in the sky, wind moves clouds to high places like mountains, then cloud precipitate/rain/snow)

when it rains it creates streams at the top of mountain, this water makes its way down the mountain eroding the land using hydraulic action. in the mid way of the river, there are meander and oxbow lakes and water falls as there are more water to create erosion for these land forms. At the end of its course, the river enters the sea. Along the whole of the MAIN river there are little streams and little rivers that connect to it, these are tributaries. The river stretches out onto land, if you look on a map and see how a river stretches out and then find where all its ''veins'' end, the piece of land that the river touches is called a DRAINAGE BASIN. Rivers are often surrounded by mountains or high land, these high land act as a border seperating one river after another,these high lands are called WATER SHED.
i think those are the main points :smile:

edexcel sending.jpg
Reply 9
Original post by Olithe
Oh ok, thats fine.
The bit I am stuck on is:
1) How a rivers works
2) The parts of a river like meanders and Oxbow Lakes
3) Lower course features of a river
4) How to draw a digaram of a river that is sideways ?

All you have to know for meanders is that it is CREATED BY EROSION such as hydraulic action or abrasion (rocks that are carried rub against the banks) or all. You also need to know the meander being cut in half which is the same as ''river that is sideways'' correct? xD

and finally, oxbow lakes is CREATED FROM A MEANDER, you need meander for an oxbow lake is what i was told for this course.
here are the steps in which it is created
1) meander is a bend in a river
2) the meander will keep bending
3) when the bend meets each other, it connects the two bends together, also refer to as the river cuts through the bend of the meander.
4) the river then travels in a straight course and ignores the loop of the meander
5) the loop is soon sealed off by deposition since water is not flowing through it anymore
6) once it is sealed off by deposition, grass grows in the gap and the other side becomes an oxbow lake.

*the bend is often referred to as the neck when talking about oxbow lakes, i hope the explaination is clear, if not i hope the pictures help more.
remember that if you're not good at oxbow lakes or meander, you can also choose waterfalls to draw and annotate when they ask for a river landform! :smile:

As for the lower course of a river, here are the features:
has floodplains
flat and wide river channel
very deep
wide open valleys
you can also find oxbow lakes
levees (on the side of the river, people often add concrete to the banks to heighten the river banks in order for it to hold more water, it can happen naturally with soil not just concrete)

Attachment not found
Attachment not found
Attachment not found

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending