The Student Room Group

Is persian considered my native language?

I have an Alevel in persian as I am Iranian and have been raised to learn farsi. However I was born here and have been to lessons in order to improve my iranian.

Will it count as a native language?

Scroll to see replies

Do your parents speak to you in Persian? If they do, or if they used to, then yes it is your native language.
Original post by Snufkin
Do your parents speak to you in Persian? If they do, or if they used to, then yes it is your native language.

Unis wont know that
Reply 3
Boring thread asking a Q that you clearly only want one answer too.

And no, it is not your native language fgs if you've only done an A level and don't speak it at home. Just put it down for what it is. One lie is not going to help your application.
Original post by Kmohazeb
Unis wont know that

Of course they will. Your name will surely give the game away. Nobody learns Persian from scratch at school, every admission tutor will assume that you've just picked up an easy A level in a language you already speak. Better to be honest about it.
Original post by Snufkin
Of course they will. Your name will surely give the game away. Nobody learns Persian from scratch at school, every admission tutor will assume that you've just picked up an easy A level in a language you already speak. Better to be honest about it.

I was born here and had to go to lessons in order to learn properly. I usually speak english at home
I was born here and had to go to lessons in order to learn properly. I usually speak english at home

Where you were born is irrelevant. What exactly do you mean by lessons? It sounds to me like you're trying to use Persian as your 3rd A level even though you spoke it beforehand.
Original post by Snufkin
Where you were born is irrelevant. What exactly do you mean by lessons? It sounds to me like you're trying to use Persian as your 3rd A level even though you spoke it beforehand.

Without going to lessons I would not know how to speak/read/write persian
(edited 8 years ago)
The bottom line is that unis will work on the basis that either a) it's your native language, or b) that you have the advantage of having people around you (eg your parents) who know and speak it. From what you describe, option b) appears to be nearer the truth. In either case unis are likely to conclude that your A-level in Farsi is not worth as much as if you studied eg German.
Original post by ageshallnot
The bottom line is that unis will work on the basis that either a) it's your native language, or b) that you have the advantage of having people around you (eg your parents) who know and speak it. From what you describe, option b) appears to be nearer the truth. In either case unis are likely to conclude that your A-level in Farsi is not worth as much as if you studied eg German.

Farsi is still a foreign language and you have no right in choosing which one you personally think is seen to be 'better'
(edited 8 years ago)
Farsi is still a foreign language and you have no right in choosing which one you personally think is seen to be 'better'

I never suggested that I think one is better than the other. I am suggesting that a uni admissions tutor might conclude that you getting an A* in German would show greater academic and linguistic ability than an A* in Farsi.
Without going to lessons I would not know how to speak/read/write persian

If you weren't born in Iran and have been taking classes in order to learn the language, how can it be your native tongue?

Am I missing something?

His point is that they will see it as a pointless A level because they will assume you would have known it / have had help etc. and so it is more useless than German because that would imply you actually learnt it from scratch. (And in terms of job prospects, German is likely more useful anyway)

Don't post on a public forums for opnions when you clearly don't want them. Just put the truth and be done with it.
Original post by Democracy
If you weren't born in Iran and have been taking classes in order to learn the language, how can it be your native tongue?

Am I missing something?

That is what I initially thought. Thanks

Am I missing something?

There is a bit of a difference between a 'mother tongue' and a 'native language' but in terms of the OP's question they mean the same thing, i.e. the language you were brought up speaking at home. The OP didn't say she was taking classes in order to learn the language from scratch.
Original post by Snufkin
There is a bit of a difference between a 'mother tongue' and a 'native language' but in terms of the OP's question they mean the same thing, i.e. the language you were brought up speaking at home. The OP didn't say she was taking classes in order to learn the language from scratch.

She said without taking classes she wouldn't be able to speak the language.
She said without taking classes she wouldn't be able to speak the language.

I asked her if her parents speak to her in Persian, she relied "unis wouldn't know that" which to me suggests they do, but she's unwilling to admit it.
Original post by Snufkin
I asked her if her parents speak to her in Persian, she relied "unis wouldn't know that" which to me suggests they do, but she's unwilling to admit it.

Well there's no question in UCAS asking what language you speak with your parents. So they wouldn't know regardless of if I did or not. Which I said I do not
Well there's no question in UCAS asking what language you speak with your parents. So they wouldn't know regardless of if I did or not. Which I said I do not

So before you started these lessons, you didn't know any Persian at all? When did the lessons start?
Original post by Snufkin
So before you started these lessons, you didn't know any Persian at all? When did the lessons start?

when I started year one (so I was around 6)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending