The Student Room Group

OCR Sociology G672 Family 2015 Predictions

Hi guys! I'm retaking the Family unit for OCR Sociology next week. I was wondering if anyone has any pointers as to what may come up.

From my personal research Functionalism and Marxism have been very common for the 33 markers

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I need to know predictions for the 17 markers. My teacher said for one of the 33 markers there will be a question on responsibilities and relationships between parents and children.
Reply 2
Original post by Eat_revision
I need to know predictions for the 17 markers. My teacher said for one of the 33 markers there will be a question on responsibilities and relationships between parents and children.

Hey! Yeah I was also thinking that for 33 marker because Functionalism and Marxism have been so common.

For 17 marker- single parent households and cohabitation along with divorce/marriage rates has been extremely common and repeated at least 2 times each.
Original post by NafK3
Hey! Yeah I was also thinking that for 33 marker because Functionalism and Marxism have been so common.

For 17 marker- single parent households and cohabitation along with divorce/marriage rates has been extremely common and repeated at least 2 times each.

I have the feeling Family size is going to come up?
Reply 4
I have the feeling Family size is going to come up?

Yep- family size, nuclear family and family ideology haven't been mentioned. Also New Right and Postmodernism haven't popped up in a long time
Original post by NafK3
Yep- family size, nuclear family and family ideology haven't been mentioned. Also New Right and Postmodernism haven't popped up in a long time

Which topic is family ideology in? There are 11 topics in sociology so which one does it fit into.
Reply 6
Which topic is family ideology in? There are 11 topics in sociology so which one does it fit into.

Family ideology should be in the key trends section and is aimed at 17 mark questions - it's specific to the nuclear :smile:
what do u mean 11 topics
i only know 4 topics in g672
Reply 8
Original post by lalavasquez
what do u mean 11 topics

So do I; key concepts and trends, role of family in society, family diversity and roles/responsibilities and relationships within family

My teacher has predicted one of the 17 markets being on 2 ways in which relationships between parents and children have changed
Another one being ways in which the family is not positive for everyone
two ways demographic changes have affected family life

for the 33 markers my teacher has predicted outline the postmodernist views on the family
the view that roles within the family have changed in recent years
How would you structure the question

'Outline and evaluate the view that roles within the family have changed in recent years'

like what would be the points/evaluation??
anyone have any prediction for sociology of youth
Original post by sleepingwsirens
My teacher has predicted one of the 17 markets being on 2 ways in which relationships between parents and children have changed
Another one being ways in which the family is not positive for everyone
two ways demographic changes have affected family life

for the 33 markers my teacher has predicted outline the postmodernist views on the family
the view that roles within the family have changed in recent years

For the demographic changes what 2 ways are there?
First one I am confident on is ageing population.
Second one I am thinking of is family size; the increase in one person households.

I am not sure how you got the family is not positive for everyone? What topic is that in. And parents and children is definitely going to come up 95% sure.
BTW could you also give me the structure for Post Modern views of the family?
For the demographic changes what 2 ways are there?
First one I am confident on is ageing population.
Second one I am thinking of is family size; the increase in one person households.

I am not sure how you got the family is not positive for everyone? What topic is that in. And parents and children is definitely going to come up 95% sure.
BTW could you also give me the structure for Post Modern views of the family?

Yep that's my points for demographic changes!
I think that can fit under things like domestic abuse, femnism, Marxism

I am going through that question with my teacher tomorrow so I will post it then for you :smile:
Original post by lalavasquez
what do u mean 11 topics

Oh sorry mate. I was thinking of the sub categories for example:

1. Key Concepts
2.Trends in families and households
3. Functionalist view of the role of family in society
4. Marxist view of the role of family in society
5. Feminist view of the role of family in society
6. Family Diversity
7. Post modern, New Right, New Labour views of family diversity
8. Roles, Responsibilities and relationships between men and women in family life
9. Roles, Responsibilities and relationships between Parents and children in family life
10.Sociological theories explaining roles, responsibilities and relationships in the family
11. Demographic Changes
What are the two demographic changes that has changed family life? Would you talk about declining fertility rate (Waugh) and perhaps increased living age and how that's impacted on adults (Grundy and Henrietta)? Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by louisasociology
What are the two demographic changes that has changed family life? Would you talk about declining fertility rate (Waugh) and perhaps increased living age and how that's impacted on adults (Grundy and Henrietta)? Thank you in advance :smile:

Here's a helpful mindmap on demography and the family. It should help you revise demographic changes.
Demography.JPG

There's lots more resources for this exam on TSR - they're all free now and you can test yourself on them too. Worth having a look.
Original post by sleepingwsirens
Yep that's my points for demographic changes!
I think that can fit under things like domestic abuse, femnism, Marxism

I am going through that question with my teacher tomorrow so I will post it then for you :smile:

Hi, so when you have that 33 marker please upload the structure here. Btw for demographic changes do you reckon any specifics are going to come up like Extended families or ageing population. For example the question might be Explain two ways how extended families affect the family.
Reply 18
Hi guys

I found this YouTube link that seems very helpful

https://youtu.be/S1K01SJ_ngk

He explains everything well and has planned out some of the stuff teachers have been predicting including demographic changes, postmodernism etc
not as confident on G672 compared to G671...:angry:
anyway can someone let me know how to structure a 17 marker (do you use 4 studies? or 2 explained studies?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending