The Student Room Group

WJEC English Literature GCSE 18th and 22nd May.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by franm1
and me! i'll be ok wtih a b but chuffed with an a! im doing AIC and heroes,what about you?

Same and same
How did you guys find the first paper? I thought the essay question on harshness was really good, extract was ok and poetry was kinda crap, relying on friday's exam for my grade now:s-smilie:
Reply 582
So glad other people wrote about drugs and prostitution tbh I thought I'd done it completely wrong!!

Also is anyone doing Blood Brothers and LOTF on Friday??

What kind of questions do they ask for paper 2, is it the same set up as OMAM with an extract and character question?? I've never done a on paper 2 so no clue what to expect
Original post by yas458
So glad other people wrote about drugs and prostitution tbh I thought I'd done it completely wrong!!

Also is anyone doing Blood Brothers and LOTF on Friday??

What kind of questions do they ask for paper 2, is it the same set up as OMAM with an extract and character question?? I've never done a on paper 2 so no clue what to expect

Doing LOTF and AVFTB :smile:

Paper 2 is the exact same for paper 1 except you get an extract & essay for one & an extract & an essay for the other :smile: Exact same layout
Original post by ArcticNeighbour
Tell me about it, although I still have my doubts on that interpretation

same here, oh well I guess I can't change it now. It's kind of motivated me to read more poetry in preparation for A-Level lit though
Original post by electrahearts
same here, oh well I guess I can't change it now. It's kind of motivated me to read more poetry in preparation for A-Level lit though

Ah yes, good luck with that venture. The thing is, I'm usually pretty good and analysis and dealing with poetry (not boasting here), for my mocks I got 18/20 for the poem but after todays, I highly doubt getting anything above 11 or 12. I just pray for a lovely examiner.
Did we have to contextualise the extract question, or only for the essay?
Reply 587
Original post by ladyrailly
Doing LOTF and AVFTB :smile:

Paper 2 is the exact same for paper 1 except you get an extract & essay for one & an extract & an essay for the other :smile: Exact same layout

thankyou so much!! Good luck with yours!! :smile:
Original post by averageteen16
How did you guys find the first paper? I thought the essay question on harshness was really good, extract was ok and poetry was kinda crap, relying on friday's exam for my grade now:s-smilie:

Same as you. It went bad, really good, really ****ty.
The extract was pretty ****ty, essay was good (I picked Candy), poetry was down in hell somewhere, amongst the poets.
Original post by jxssamy
Did we have to contextualise the extract question, or only for the essay?

I'm pretty sure that it was only for the essay
Ah yes, good luck with that venture. The thing is, I'm usually pretty good and analysis and dealing with poetry (not boasting here), for my mocks I got 18/20 for the poem but after todays, I highly doubt getting anything above 11 or 12. I just pray for a lovely examiner.

same! we got a practice exam question, I think it was poems about the homeless/outcasts from society and I just got it and could interpret everything, but this just left me blank! Hopefully we both get a really nice examiner haha :smile:

That's reassuring because I didn't put anything about context in the extract
Original post by gcses2015
Hi guys,

You know the extract question for 'Of Mice and Men', what did you talk about? I talked about when lennie said 'I..aint...gonna say a word.'' Then I talked about where george and lennie were sleeping (the idea that they have no permanent home makes the readers feel sympathy for them) and the colours of rabbits Lennie wants (that he is mentally unstable). What ideas did you guys put down? I personally didn't like the poems. :/

I spoke about when lennie said i aint gonna say a word, their escape plan incase of trouble, and i cant remember the last one

Please can you msg me all your notes on themes and characters of Heroes, I will be very greatful! Firstly by giving you reps and thanking you for saving my grade! :smile:
Same as you. It went bad, really good, really ****ty.
The extract was pretty ****ty, essay was good (I picked Candy), poetry was down in hell somewhere, amongst the poets.
what did you say about candy? I spoke about him being nice even though he's a physical wreck, how hes so low on the hierarchy as eve curleys wife insults him, how hes prepared to offer everything for the dream, how bitter he becomes after the dream and the cycle he represents( he starts off calling curleys wife a tart and ends in the same way, suggesting lifenon the ranch is a cycle, no escape)
Hi guys,

You know the extract question for 'Of Mice and Men', what did you talk about? I talked about when lennie said 'I..aint...gonna say a word.'' Then I talked about where george and lennie were sleeping (the idea that they have no permanent home makes the readers feel sympathy for them) and the colours of rabbits Lennie wants (that he is mentally unstable). What ideas did you guys put down? I personally didn't like the poems. :/

But that doesn't really track mood and atmosphere though, you're just presenting characters here. Maybe the readers mood, but not the book ones.
every time i see someone say the poems were about prostitution - https://vine.co/v/e77MHBgDIbe
Original post by ludo4
Literally there was a good 5 minutes in my exam when nobody was writing because we were all trying to understand the poems. I finished the prose text question really late so I started to panic. I ended up discussing that the structures of the poems were different (?).

Yeah I talked about the structure (the way one poem was split into stanzas whereas the other one wasn't). I seriously didn't know what I was talking about. This really wasn't the best paper I've done. :/ Hope the grade boundaries are low.
Yeah I talked about the structure (the way one poem was split into stanzas whereas the other one wasn't). I seriously didn't know what I was talking about. This really wasn't the best paper I've done. :/ Hope the grade boundaries are low.

Me too man, those were harsh. Predicting 15 to 16 for an A* on this one hopefully.
Original post by kennethdcharles
I spoke about when lennie said i aint gonna say a word, their escape plan incase of trouble, and i cant remember the last one

Did you write a conclusion for the extract question?

Quick Reply

Latest