The Student Room Group

WJEC AS French FN2 21/05/2015

So, the FN2 exam is coming up in almost 6 days! How are we feeling about it?

Do you have any predictions to topics that might come up?

Scroll to see replies

I'm dreading this exam so much, hopefully if I can just get a C or by some miracle a B then it'll be fine but I highly doubt that will happen :cry::afraid: It's times like this when I think that it would be really useful if I knew French....
I'm dreading it, I hate the listening!
Reply 3
Original post by Katie_lauren710
I'm dreading this exam so much, hopefully if I can just get a C or by some miracle a B then it'll be fine but I highly doubt that will happen :cry::afraid: It's times like this when I think that it would be really useful if I knew French....

I'm sure you will! How was your speaking exam? Your speaking exam normally pushes your overall grade up.

Original post by BlownTyre
I'm dreading it, I hate the listening!

I'm dreading this exam too, except I'm actually okay with the listening! I hate the translation and the essay bit, even though they should really be easy marks.
Original post by loinducoeur
I'm sure you will! How was your speaking exam? Your speaking exam normally pushes your overall grade up.

My examiner was a little French woman so naturally I was even more terrified that morning. I picked my worst two speaking cards (relationships and traditions), but there was no break in the conversation and she was really nice. So on the whole it was ok I suppose, what about you?
Other than the essay I love FN2. I always get high marks on it, but the essay lets me down because I can't write essays to save my life.

To prepare for the essay, I'm only revising three topics (La culture des jeunes, Le tourisme et les voyages, Le sport). I'm going to do revise my notes on them, they are 1-1.5 pages each, and then do essay plans. Might work on writing introductions and conclusions. I printed the Guidance with the FN2 essay sheet/booklet from the WJEC site so I'll make sure I utilise it.

I'm also going to learn some structural phrases such as J'en viens à conclure que, 'flashy' sentences that can be linked to the 3 topics I'm covering and subjunctive phrases etc.

My essays throughout the year normally stand around 26/35. I didn't revise for the oral, not once, so I need to do well in FN2 incase my marks for FN1 are low. I got nice topics though, Le tourisme et les voyages and L'éducation, it wasn't that bad vu que je n'avais jamais révisé. Il est possible que je puisse y réussir quand même.

BONNE CHANCE À CHACUN

Oh and I might learn some proverbs like "Tout est bien qui finit bien" just to make me look that much cleverer, afterall I'll need it, the content of my essays is always lacking.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Katie_lauren710
My examiner was a little French woman so naturally I was even more terrified that morning. I picked my worst two speaking cards (relationships and traditions), but there was no break in the conversation and she was really nice. So on the whole it was ok I suppose, what about you?

That doesn't sound too bad. I guess if she's a native speaker, she'll pick up on a lot more stuff than another examiner would. I hate those cards too! I picked relationships and travel and tourism. My examiner was the Chief Examiner, and it wasn't too bad but he did interrupt a lot (but I suppose that's what a real conversation would be like).

Original post by beyknowles
Other than the essay I love FN2. I always get high marks on it, but the essay lets me down because I can't write essays to save my life.

To prepare for the essay, I'm only revising three topics (La culture des jeunes, Le tourisme et les voyages, Le sport). I'm going to do revise my notes on them, they are 1-1.5 pages each, and then do essay plans. Might work on writing introductions and conclusions. I printed the Guidance with the FN2 essay sheet/booklet from the WJEC site so I'll make sure I utilise it.

I'm also going to learn some structural phrases such as J'en viens à conclure que, 'flashy' sentences that can be linked to the 3 topics I'm covering and subjunctive phrases etc.

My essays throughout the year normally stand around 26/35. I didn't revise for the oral, not once, so I need to do well in FN2 incase my marks for FN1 are low. I got nice topics though, Le tourisme et les voyages and L'éducation, it wasn't that bad vu que je n'avais jamais révisé. Il est possible que je puisse y réussir quand même.

BONNE CHANCE À CHACUN

Oh and I might learn some proverbs like "Tout est bien qui finit bien" just to make me look that much cleverer, afterall I'll need it, the content of my essays is always lacking.

You're so organised for this exam!! I'm doing something similar to you, except I'm only doing essay plans and going over grammar. Your topics for FN1 were the ideal ones for me! Since they're really nice topics, I'm sure you got a decent grade in FN1. I'm awful at essays, so maybe learning some proverbs will help me a bit too! Good luck to you too! :smile:
URGENT~~!!

Does anyone have any 30+/35 mark essays from throughout the year? J'ai toujours du mal à bien analyser la question et à y répondre en justifiant mes opinions. Si quelqu'un pouvait show me how they go about analysing and really arguing, j'en profiterais bien et je serais toujours endetté
Reply 8
Original post by beyknowles
URGENT~~!!

Does anyone have any 30+/35 mark essays from throughout the year? J'ai toujours du mal à bien analyser la question et à y répondre en justifiant mes opinions. Si quelqu'un pouvait show me how they go about analysing and really arguing, j'en profiterais bien et je serais toujours endetté

I can send you a picture of one of my essays, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how I managed to get the marks? If that's any use, just message me!
I hope I'm not the only one floppig this exam 😂 the translations are too much and the reading or redundancy if the accents aren't where they are supposed to be ...I mean come on WJEC. Ugh
Original post by patricio_miguel
I hope I'm not the only one floppig this exam 😂 the translations are too much and the reading or redundancy if the accents aren't where they are supposed to be ...I mean come on WJEC. Ugh

I guess it's a matter of practising a lot of these questions. My teacher's suggested that we can't expect any higher than a B for this exam, because it's THAT hard!
I guess it's a matter of practising a lot of these questions. My teacher's suggested that we can't expect any higher than a B for this exam, because it's THAT hard!

Let's not forget that we are competing against francophones at the end of the day 😤
Let's not forget that we are competing against francophones at the end of the day 😤

Are we? What makes you say that?
Are we? What makes you say that?

There are French speakers who take this subject as an "easy AS" . In my class 3/10 are French speakers. For them, the exam is obviously easily - they are French haha. Whereas I'm just starring at the page and analysing the wording of the questions.
There are French speakers who take this subject as an "easy AS" . In my class 3/10 are French speakers. For them, the exam is obviously easily - they are French haha. Whereas I'm just starring at the page and analysing the wording of the questions.

Yeah, I have a nearly fluent French speaker in my class too, but just because they can understand everything, it doesn't mean that they can answer the questions correctly. WJEC are VERY specific, as you said, and sometimes you can understand everything but still give a wrong answer. And also, they're more likely to deviate and write too much because they can understand more. So I think it's equal, really. A little bit...
Essays i'm everywhere with, one time i'll get 28, next 31, next 26 :/ I love the grammar and translation sections but the reading comprehension is always so picky. Aiming for an A, I know I CAN get 81ish which is REALLY close to full UMS if it's a nice paper. If I struggle with words it all goes south.

Full UMS would be nice to bring up my failure of a speaking grade which will probably be an E. Relationships and tourism were not my strong subjects and I messed up lots of words. The examiner was horrible, he just interrupted everything I said and asked really hard questions like why I think the Odyssey is still relevant nowadays! Stressful times...
I can send you a picture of one of my essays, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how I managed to get the marks? If that's any use, just message me!

could you?? well I didn't really expect you to explain, I'll infer : P
Original post by Swifty139
Full UMS would be nice to bring up my failure of a speaking grade which will probably be an E. Relationships and tourism were not my strong subjects and I messed up lots of words. The examiner was horrible, he just interrupted everything I said and asked really hard questions like why I think the Odyssey is still relevant nowadays! Stressful times...

Don't worry about you speaking, my teachers have all said that when the examiner asks you harder questions its because they think you are more capable and it gets you higher marks. They said that in previous years the people that came out in tears because it went so badly are the ones who got the A's, so honestly, don't worry about it for now, obviously you won't know until results day but it probably went a lot better than you think.
Reply 18
I am absolutely dreading this exam, I have biology on the same day and I just can't sort my priorities. I'm hopeless at the listening and the essay writing as well, 100% ready to fail
I am annoyed as I wanted to study French @ Oxford...predicted As for all of my subjects yet in French the highest grade I got in a mock was just scraping a B :frown: it's so discouraging knowing I'm not capable of getting a firm B ugh. It's the words ...you can be asked anything like , "sur le pont" - how does this link to anything I studied?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending