The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Physics Unit 2 and 3 (20th May)

Scroll to see replies

What do we need to know about the life cycle of stars?
Reply 41
Does anyone know the calculation to convert raw scores in exams into UMS points? Thanks :smile:
Original post by harryleavey
Hi

Here is a MyGcseScience video describing Nuclear Decay Equations.
https://goo.gl/xeWF0V

:smile:

Can you send me the link to all of P2 MyGcsescience please? I will be eternally grateful.
Original post by IamAHuman
Can you send me the link to all of P2 MyGcsescience please? I will be eternally grateful.

Pm me 😀
Reply 44
Original post by zc555
Does anyone know the calculation to convert raw scores in exams into UMS points? Thanks :smile:

It's different for each exam as they all have different marks, but if you go onto the aqa website, you can convert your mark individual to each exam paper that you do :smile: Hope this helps!!!
Reply 45
Original post by studylife123
What do we need to know about the life cycle of stars?

You just need to know the names and then a small explanation:
Nebula. Cloud of dust
Protostar. Dust brought together by gravity
main sequence star. (Like the sun, just fusing hydrogen)

Then... For stars the same size as our sun:
Red Giant. Fusing bigger elements such as Helium, Berillium etc up to Iron
White dwarf. A very small compact star with lots and lots of heat
black Dwarf. Cooled down, so doesn't glow white anymore

And for stars much bigger than our sun...
Red Supergiant. Same as Red Giant but bigger
Supernova. The star expands out wards
And then either... A neutron star- a very very dense star
Or... A Black hole- the star continues to implode in on its self so much so that not even light will be allowed through

I hope this makes sense and helps you, and please feel free to correct me on anything!!!!
Reply 46
please can someone help with half life
Reply 47
Original post by seds
please can someone help with half life

Half Life is the time taken for the number of atoms in a sample to halve... and that is literally it! Another definition is the time taken for the radioactive activity of the sample to halve, but that just means the same thing pretty much. All atoms have different half lives, and can be worked out by plotting the number of counts over a period of time on a graph - the half life can range from a few seconds to thousands of years!!! Hope this helps a bit :smile:!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by G_Head
You just need to know the names and then a small explanation:
Nebula. Cloud of dust
Protostar. Dust brought together by gravity
main sequence star. (Like the sun, just fusing hydrogen)

Then... For stars the same size as our sun:
Red Giant. Fusing bigger elements such as Helium, Berillium etc up to Iron
White dwarf. A very small compact star with lots and lots of heat
black Dwarf. Cooled down, so doesn't glow white anymore

And for stars much bigger than our sun...
Red Supergiant. Same as Red Giant but bigger
Supernova. The star expands out wards
And then either... A neutron star- a very very dense star
Or... A Black hole- the star continues to implode in on its self so much so that not even light will be allowed through

I hope this makes sense and helps you, and please feel free to correct me on anything!!!!

Thank you, yeah it does make sense. :smile: But if we had a six mark question on the life cycle if a star would I have to include everything you said?
Reply 49
Original post by studylife123
Thank you, yeah it does make sense. :smile: But if we had a six mark question on the life cycle if a star would I have to include everything you said?

It would generally ask you for the life cycle of a star the same size as our sun, or one a lot bigger, generally not both, but if it did ask for both, then I'd write it all just to be on the safe side!
Original post by harryleavey
Pm me 😀
I pm'ed you :smile:
Original post by grovyle
physics is definitely my weakest of the three sciences. honestly terrified for physics 2 and 3 i'm less worried but still scared for (i think it's a trend with me and the exams right now i've been finding the unit 3 exams much better than the unit 2s)
hoping life cycle of a star comes up as a 6 marker on unit 2 because i actually understand that
and unit 3 i'm predicting transformers

although transformers came up last year as the 6 marker for P3.
For P2 , I agree with you 100%.
hey guys! , look at this. It is for P2

June 2012 - Interpretation of Graphs (Motion) - Chapter 1
June 2013 - Evaluation of Bulbs (Mains) - Chapter 5
June 2014 - Interpretation of Graphs ( Forces ) - Chapter 2 and 3

These were the 6 markers before , so my prediction would be Radioactivity or Life Cycle Of Stars

But most likely the differences between Nuclear fission and Nuclear Fusion

and their applications (give examples) e.g (nuclear power stations , hydrogen fusion in stars)
(edited 8 years ago)
My teacher thinks it might be the Plum Pudding and Nuclear Model 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone explain to me the circuit rules?! I just absolutely don't understand at all :frown:
Reply 55
Throughout this year of my physics studies, I have had the worst teacher ever, has anyone got a REALLY good physics teacher who has taught them well? I need someone to explain some points in physics such as velocity-time graphs and distance-times graphs. We haven't even been taught the life cycle of a star... Someone please help!
Original post by bxthgxlmxrx
Can anyone explain to me the circuit rules?! I just absolutely don't understand at all :frown:

sure!

there are 2 types of circuit , Series and Parallel

Series Circuit

- The current is the same throughout all components
- The voltage is different throughout all components

Parallel Circuit
- The current is different throughout all components - The voltage is the same throughout all components voltage is also known as potential difference. Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page.thats about it really , hope this helped! :biggrin:
Original post by Katie64
Throughout this year of my physics studies, I have had the worst teacher ever, has anyone got a REALLY good physics teacher who has taught them well? I need someone to explain some points in physics such as velocity-time graphs and distance-times graphs. We haven't even been taught the life cycle of a star... Someone please help!

well , this used to be my physics teacher. To me he was bad although he may be helpful to you :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Benedict401/videos
Reply 58
Original post by PawanAviator
well , this used to be my physics teacher. To me he was bad although he may be helpful to you :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Benedict401/videos

Thank you, but videos to me aren't the best way to learn. Any tips on what you know?
Reply 59
Original post by grovyle
physics is definitely my weakest of the three sciences. honestly terrified for physics 2 and 3 i'm less worried but still scared for (i think it's a trend with me and the exams right now i've been finding the unit 3 exams much better than the unit 2s)
hoping life cycle of a star comes up as a 6 marker on unit 2 because i actually understand that
and unit 3 i'm predicting transformers

same :frown: I find physics so hard and yes omg the 3 ones have been a lot easier so far esp for bio!!
god nooo I hate transformers :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest