The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Physics PH1 May 19th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by The Rad Dragon
quote your answer to the precision of the least precise number in your calculation

thanks g
Reply 41
Original post by ddb123
anyone help with how to round numbers, because mark schemes decimal places vary as Ive done past exam papers and they are different for different questions
i could write the full calculated number down and then round it, but that would take a lot time
anyone??

Always keep the full number in your calculator, writing down the rounded version in your calculations if you need to. Then only at the very end of your answer should you round it.
Reply 42
Original post by Roxanne18
I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but could you help me with the conservation of charge and energy please ? (:
I know the definitions from the WJEC website, but in a question when it asks to state what law is used in a circuit, how would I know which one it is ?

Since current is the amount of CHARGE passing a given point in one second, this concerns the law of conservation of charge.
Since potential difference is the electrical ENERGY converted into other forms of energy per coulomb of charge passing between two points, this concerns the law of conservation of energy.
Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by ddb123
anyone help with how to round numbers, because mark schemes decimal places vary as Ive done past exam papers and they are different for different questions
i could write the full calculated number down and then round it, but that would take a lot time
anyone??

Pretty much always quote to 3 significant figures in most scenarios when you're carrying out a calculation without prior calculations from you.

If you're using a formerly calculated number (i.e. something asks you to calculate a length or whatever and you have to use that value in a second calculation) use that calculation to a high degree of accuracy - either as a fraction or 8 or so decimal places.

This is so that you don't create a wrong answer - if you use a rounded variable in a calculation, you will make it less accurate.

Hope that makes sense.
Reply 44
I have a question - what do we need to understand Drift Velocity as? For example, in a question asking about how long it would take an electron to travel a said distance of wire, should we just assume the velocity at which the electron travels is its drift velocity (so it would just be distance/speed).
Reply 45
Original post by Octan
I have a question - what do we need to understand Drift Velocity as? For example, in a question asking about how long it would take an electron to travel a said distance of wire, should we just assume the velocity at which the electron travels is its drift velocity (so it would just be distance/speed).

Yes. Generally when we talk about drift velocity we mean mean drift velocity.
So the 'v' in I=nAve stands for mean drift velocity. :smile:
Absolutely dreading tomorrow! Reckon it will be a hard paper as it's the last year they're doing this syllabus?
Original post by PrimeLime
Since current is the amount of CHARGE passing a given point in one second, this concerns the law of conservation of charge.
Since potential difference is the electrical ENERGY converted into other forms of energy per coulomb of charge passing between two points, this concerns the law of conservation of energy.
Hope that helps. :smile:

Yes it does! Thank you (:
Original post by Qwertykeyboard15
Absolutely dreading tomorrow! Reckon it will be a hard paper as it's the last year they're doing this syllabus?

Why is it the last time they are doing this syllabus ?
Original post by Qwertykeyboard15

What about people the want to resit the paper?
EMF of a cell is the electrical energy the cell supplies, converted from its chemical energy, per unit charge passing through the cell. Make sure you learn that definition and UNDERSTAND it, which I guess means that you will automatically have it memorised. That's a great reason to try and understand concepts rather than memorise blindly.

Note that a cell has a thing called internal resistance, so there is resistance to current inside the cell itself. Therefore energy is dissipated (as heat) in the internal resistance and this energy, per unit charge, we informally call the 'lost volts' (make sure you see why). Hence, by V=IR, and if we call the internal resistance r, the 'lost volts' is clearly Ir.

So this means, that if volts are 'lost', the pd that the components in the circuit receive is actually less than the emf! This pd will be E-Ir, where E is the emf.
We call this pd the terminal pd V, so that V=E-Ir (recognise that equation?). The terminal pd is defined as the electrical energy delivered to the external circuit and converted into other forms of energy per unit charge. Understand that too.

That's pretty much that for emf and the like. You'll be surprised how useful this concept is.

Hey, can you help me with the emf question in May 2010 please ?
They are all 1 markers but I don't understand which of the values to use ):
They will do a resit paper next year I should imagine but they're changing the syllabus of PH1 for next year Year 12s ... Apparently it's a lot harder 😣
Reply 52
why measure emf when not supplying current?
Reply 53
Original post by Roxanne18
Hey, can you help me with the emf question in May 2010 please ?
They are all 1 markers but I don't understand which of the values to use ):

I assume you've got the definitions done at the start of the question.
Ok, so once you've nailed this whole question and understand it, you should be able to do this type of question a lot more easily. :biggrin:
(i) You know that Q=It, so plug in your current and the time (IN SECONDS!!!) to find the charge.
(ii) Emf is defined as the electrical energy supplied to the external circuit by the cell, from its chemical energy, per coulomb of charge passing through the cell.
Key word is chemical. You know that any voltage is the corresponding energy divided by the total charge, and emf is no different.
(iii) In the same way as we did in (ii), use the definition of terminal pd to decide what energy to use (the bulb is getting the energy corresponding to the terminal pd).
(iv) The lost volts are the energy lost per coulomb of charge, informally. How much energy was lost? Remember, they're VOLTS, so divide by charge.
(v) V = E - Ir. That's all I'm gonna say here.
Hope that helped you understand how to answer the question. Any more questions feel free to ask! :biggrin:
I assume you've got the definitions done at the start of the question.
Ok, so once you've nailed this whole question and understand it, you should be able to do this type of question a lot more easily. :biggrin:
(i) You know that Q=It, so plug in your current and the time (IN SECONDS!!!) to find the charge.
(ii) Emf is defined as the electrical energy supplied to the external circuit by the cell, from its chemical energy, per coulomb of charge passing through the cell.
Key word is chemical. You know that any voltage is the corresponding energy divided by the total charge, and emf is no different.
(iii) In the same way as we did in (ii), use the definition of terminal pd to decide what energy to use (the bulb is getting the energy corresponding to the terminal pd).
(iv) The lost volts are the energy lost per coulomb of charge, informally. How much energy was lost? Remember, they're VOLTS, so divide by charge.
(v) V = E - Ir. That's all I'm gonna say here.
Hope that helped you understand how to answer the question. Any more questions feel free to ask! :biggrin:

Thankyou, I actually understand it now! Was looking at the mark scheme earlier and didn't know where they came from, the definitions helped loads thankyou (:
Reply 55
Just finished - what did people get for the question about the two wires in series where we had to circle the answers?
the same, the same and half
I put the same the same and half, what did people put for the pd across the variable resistor and the combined resistances of the variable resistor and resistor?
Reply 58
Original post by Xan1991
Just finished - what did people get for the question about the two wires in series where we had to circle the answers?

I got less than 1.6A, the same, half.
if you decreased the variable resistors value then pd across the 900ohm resistor would decrease i put

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending