The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Physics PH1 May 19th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by thegayman
I put the same the same and half, what did people put for the pd across the variable resistor and the combined resistances of the variable resistor and resistor?

Pd was 7.5V and 4500 ohms I think.
Reply 61
Original post by matthewdjones
if you decreased the variable resistors value then pd across the 900ohm resistor would decrease i put

Yeah I got a decrease in pd too. If you take the circuit as a potential divider then a smaller resistance across the parallel combination means a smaller pd across the parallel combination which in turn means a smaller pd across the 900 ohm since pd is equal in both branches.
Original post by Xan1991
Just finished - what did people get for the question about the two wires in series where we had to circle the answers?

I got the same, less than and half
The test was really hard I thought
i think it was hard and easy in a way. all the questions had come up in a similar way b4 but they were all hard previous questions. basically we had a paper full of questions 7s
Reply 65
Original post by rhungwilym
The test was really hard I thought

The exam was unnecessarily tricky. A massive 8 marks (a grade) for a practical question. This is physics, not chemistry :angry:. They just had to ask that awkward question.
And what's up with the hinge in the moments question?? I never knew a hinge pulled a plank downwards...
General the motion questions were ok I guess, but the electricity was annoying.
Original post by PrimeLime
The exam was unnecessarily tricky. A massive 8 marks (a grade) for a practical question. This is physics, not chemistry :angry:. They just had to ask that awkward question.
And what's up with the hinge in the moments question?? I never knew a hinge pulled a plank downwards...
General the motion questions were ok I guess, but the electricity was annoying.

I agree completely! I put the wrong diagram for the practical question. I put an electricity circuit by mistake. It won't do me any good. also the electricity was annoying and also I failed on the one with the zip line.
Has anyone got an unofficial mark scheme? I'm just praying for lower grade boundaries
ye the hinge thing in the moments was so stupid
Reply 69
I agree completely! I put the wrong diagram for the practical question. I put an electricity circuit by mistake. It won't do me any good. also the electricity was annoying and also I failed on the one with the zip line.

It was a rubbish paper :frown:. Let's hope for really low grade boundaries.
Yep, they were being really cheeky asking for the resistance and temperature practical. They just knew it was what everyone DID NOT want. Like how the hell would you cool it down past 20C?? Put ice in it? Stick it in a freezer? I said 'add cold water'. And then there was ensuring accuracy. How. And then analysis of results? What, just draw a graph and note any trends? I have no idea what they were thinking when they designed that question.
I don't even care if I'm ranting, that question simply earns my complete disapproval. :mad:
On the plus side, I loved the grasshopper question and the other two (rectilinear) motion questions were nice(ish). :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
ye the hinge thing in the moments was so stupid

I think I put down something like 120 - 50 or something
It was a rubbish paper :frown:. Let's hope for really low grade boundaries.
Yep, they were being really cheeky asking for the resistance and temperature practical. They just knew it was what everyone DID NOT want.

What do you reckon the boundaries will be?
ye it was 200sin angle which have you the vertical force of the F part. which meant that the vertical force downwards had to qual 20sin angle. cqant remember the force of the hinge though that i wrote
Reply 73
Original post by Qwertykeyboard15
Has anyone got an unofficial mark scheme? I'm just praying for lower grade boundaries

If you can remember any of the questions I can give the answers to them? They might not be 100% correct necessarily, but I'm pretty sure I know which I got right and which I probably got wrong.
Reply 74
ye it was 200sin angle which have you the vertical force of the F part. which meant that the vertical force downwards had to qual 20sin angle. cqant remember the force of the hinge though that i wrote

Sine? I thought cosine..
Ohhhhhhh but then again I did cos50 :tongue: and it's great that sin(90-x)=cosx and cos(90-x)=sinx. It means we're both right! :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Sine? I thought cosine..
Ohhhhhhh but then again I did cos50 :tongue: and it's great that sin(90-x)=cosx and cos(90-x)=sinx. It means we're both right! :biggrin:

Yeah, I used cosine
Reply 76
What do you reckon the boundaries will be?

Hmmm... I'm not too familiar with PH1 boundaries. If I had to guess, I'd say that considering the Jan 2014 paper was hard, but this paper was probably harder, maybe 58 for an A if we're lucky? I mean, if it was THAT hard.
(edited 8 years ago)
no sine? vertical component was opposite the angle
Reply 78
I put 0.4Fsin(40)=0.9(22)+1.8(12)

therefore, F=(41.4)/0.4sin(40)
F=77.12N

Is that wrong? Thought I resolved the vector correctly?!?!?!?!?!?!
Hmmm... I'm not too familiar with PH1 boundaries. If I had to guess, I'd say that considering the Jan 2014 paper was hard, but this paper was probably harder, maybe 58 for an A if we're lucky? I mean, if it was THAT hard.

No way I got 58

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending