The Student Room Group

OCR AS Level Spanish- 19th May 2015

Hey guys,

There doesn't seem to be an OCR Spanish thread for AS level and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how they're revising? Because ive done all the past papers (some twice) and I always seem to get the same kinda marks- around the C grade. I reaaaalllyy need to try and improve as I would like a B but im stuck on how to revise? Any tips? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Saraa159
Hey guys,

There doesn't seem to be an OCR Spanish thread for AS level and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how they're revising? Because ive done all the past papers (some twice) and I always seem to get the same kinda marks- around the C grade. I reaaaalllyy need to try and improve as I would like a B but im stuck on how to revise? Any tips? :biggrin:

Hey, I'm retaking AS tomorrow so i'm also doing A2 this year.

For the exam you seem to be doing the right thing and getting used to the technique. I would recommend looking at over all the papers where do you usually lose marks? why do you lose those marks? and work on that tonight :smile:

If you don't have time, last minute bits to do before tomorrow can be:

Writing phrases - I have a whole list of these if you want some
Subjunctive - Get some examples of this, make sure they're in your writing
Reply 2
Original post by JTBullen
Hey, I'm retaking AS tomorrow so i'm also doing A2 this year.

For the exam you seem to be doing the right thing and getting used to the technique. I would recommend looking at over all the papers where do you usually lose marks? why do you lose those marks? and work on that tonight :smile:

If you don't have time, last minute bits to do before tomorrow can be:

Writing phrases - I have a whole list of these if you want some
Subjunctive - Get some examples of this, make sure they're in your writing

Hey man could I have those phrases and subjunctives?
Reply 3
Original post by Jamie1397
Hey man could I have those phrases and subjunctives?

Phrases for writing:

Para empezar
Primero
Por eso
Sin embargo
pero
hay ciertas personas que dicen
desde hace
Además
A pesar de
En lugar de
Entonces
Personalmente
Para mi
En mi opinión
tengo la impresión que
independientemente- regardless of
esto es así
Al considerar - when considering
tener un papel - to play a role
Vale agregar que - it's worth adding that
a corto plazo - short term
a largo plazo - long term

Conclusion:

Para concluir
En conclusión
Considerándolo todo - Considering everything

I haven't translated all as you should know most of these but these are the phrases that I use for my writing.

For subjunctive: I use the easily subjunctive starters as using the difficult ones gets you no more marks and they are harder to remember.

Es importante que....
Es necesario que....

one that I always remember which you can put in most situations is:

Es importante que el gobierno afronte los problemas sociales
Good luck everyone! I'm re-sitting AS - I got a B on the paper.

My favourite phrase for subjunctive is "hacer que", which is something like: to make someone do something, to make something happen, to make something so.. etc - e.g. Las peliculas de horror hacen que la gente tenga miedo de lo absurdo. Horror movies make it so that people are afraid of absurd things.

I also use 'En lo que me concierne', 'Desde mi punto de vista' and 'A mi parecer' if I get bored of 'En mi opinion'.

Mucha suerte, espero que lo pasen super bien y que disfruten de su examen.
Reply 5
How was the exam for you guys? I found the part of the comprehension where they are speaking about Jorge the toughest.
Yes! I found that really hard.. It was all hard I thought? What was the smokers club bit? I found the second essay easier..

Original post by kborge
How was the exam for you guys? I found the part of the comprehension where they are speaking about Jorge the toughest.
Reply 7
Original post by francescass96
Yes! I found that really hard.. It was all hard I thought? What was the smokers club bit? I found the second essay easier..

Yeah, i didn't really get the logic behind having smokers club bit, but changed the words round and reworded it as best as possible. the second essay was easier for me too.
Reply 8
Im more or less fluent in Spanish and I can tell you that there was lots of tricky questions, especially in the listening section. It was a very hard paper
Reply 9
Original post by jolozo97
Im more or less fluent in Spanish and I can tell you that there was lots of tricky questions, especially in the listening section. It was a very hard paper

Does that mean that the grade boundaries will be lower than usual?
I found the third listening about Almodóvar SO hard...and the word 'ganaderos'? That's not AS or A2vocab and my Spanish teacher didn't even know...
Reply 11
Original post by Taylergilbert
I found the third listening about Almodóvar SO hard...and the word 'ganaderos'? That's not AS or A2vocab and my Spanish teacher didn't even know...

I had the exact same problem, apparently it is a farmer
Original post by kborge
I had the exact same problem, apparently it is a farmer

Yeah, it's a livestock farmer. Hopefully they take this into account and lower the boundaries! Did you understand the bit about Nevarra?
Reply 13
Yeah, it's a livestock farmer. Hopefully they take this into account and lower the boundaries! Did you understand the bit about Nevarra?

It was tough but i grasped most of it
Reply 14
Did anyone else think the Jorge story was a bit odd? Did he fall in love with Sylvia (his cousin)?
Reply 15
Original post by Frenaway
Did anyone else think the Jorge story was a bit odd? Did he fall in love with Sylvia (his cousin)?

Indeed so, and fantasizing about her
Original post by Frenaway

LOL! I started to LMAO in the examination hall when I read that Jorge thought he has a chance with his cousin Sylvia. God, this paper was entertaining. I think they included that in just to throw off the candidates.

Overall however I found the listening section difficult as I was introduced to new vocab. The essays questions were proper easy - I exceeded the limit - I wrote around 4 pages, unfortunately.

How did you guys find the memo section?

P.S. There was a question of the Almodovar section I wrote for 'Recorrer escenas de sus peliculas ' - Recreate scenes of his films. Did anyone else write that? What the fck does recorrrer mean in that context?
Reply 17
P.S. There was a question of the Almodovar section I wrote for 'Recorrer escenas de sus peliculas ' - Recreate scenes of his films. Did anyone else write that? What the fck does recorrrer mean in that context?

I wrote go back to places previously filmed in, not sure though
Original post by okuyombenya
LOL! I started to LMAO in the examination hall when I read that Jorge thought he has a chance with his cousin Sylvia. God, this paper was entertaining. I think they included that in just to throw off the candidates.

Overall however I found the listening section difficult as I was introduced to new vocab. The essays questions were proper easy - I exceeded the limit - I wrote around 4 pages, unfortunately.

How did you guys find the memo section?

What did you get for the nevarra tourism part, where it started talking about monasteries?
Reply 19
What did you get for the nevarra tourism part, where it started talking about monasteries?

Visit the monasteries, where the monks open the doors to welcome the people

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending