The Student Room Group

Edexcel History Unit 2 6H102 20/05/15

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lucyx
Yuck - I do Women and the Suffrage Question 1860-1930 so better make sure I can understand 19th century humour in case of a cartoon... :s-smilie:

hahah aw, none of my 'satarical' picture sources are really that funny, waiting for them to put one in that cracks people up in the exam haha :smile:
Reply 281
Original post by jameshenry22
i'm hoping for propaganda in the ww1, and then in crimea maybe reporting and or maybe reporting in the boer war

the last crimea question was on reporting so dont think that will come up... but you never know!
Original post by bob smith 23
Yeah, are you revising for the Daniel O'Connell stuff?

I looked at it a few weeks ago and know about what he did etc but probably not going to look at anything in much detail that happened before the course dates. Are you?
Reply 283
is anyone else leaving crimea out of their revision?
Can someone help me with the first part of the exam, the 20 marker? I really can't get my head around how to analyse the provenance and it brings down my essays dramatically! If anyone could help i'd be so thankful! i'm starting to panic now:frown:
Reply 285
Original post by j5994
is anyone else leaving crimea out of their revision?

no i think im just gonna leave out boer haha
It sucks that I'm relying on this exam for an A grade considering that I have no idea how well I did on unit 2 :frown:
What is the evidence along with factors for reasons of partition for India??? Like how was Jinnah responsible for the partition of India?
Reply 288
im doing the unit of mass media, popular culture and social change in britain since 1945. does anyone have facts and figures about each chapter/case study?

im struggling revising and would appreaciate any help.
greetings from spain!
Can you guys please explain how to insert your knowledge into the b question?
Do we just say like "from my knowledge"?
Original post by sghad
the last crimea question was on reporting so dont think that will come up... but you never know!

What do you think will come up? I haven't done much revision :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any notes or things that would help for Britain Mass Media and Popular Culture?
Original post by sghad
no i think im just gonna leave out boer haha

same i'm leaving out boer
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Thanks Helen, how are you finding it? What possible suggestions could you provide that we should take into consideration?

Regards Gunnarsunn.

I'm revising by getting the breakdown from the spec and going through each aspect and learning 2 or 3 facts with dates.

Even if you're really confident a certain topic will come up, or you feel like you know you would't choose a certain question it's always good to have a backup in case one of the questions is not worded nicely or you have a complete mind blank.

-The changing personal status of women: marriage, divorce, children and property; challenges to the 'angel in the house' concept.

-Women's changing role within the political system: participation in local government; origins and impact of the suffragist and suffragette campaigns; the impact of the First World War on the suffrage question

-Attitudes of politicians, Parliament and the public suffrage question; the Liberal Government 1906-14; the Parliament Act (1918), the Equal Franchise Act (1928) and their immediate impact

-Changing educational opportunities for women and girls and the impact of these for workplace opportunities; the opening of universities and professions to women

In question B remember to analyse the sources as a set, using cross-references to reach your conclusion and do not just work through them in their order (paragraph 1 = source one etc)

If you happen to have the white revision guide from my revision notes this has nice simple breakdowns of acts and events and also has small summaries in some of the sections which I'd advise reading and/or making a note of - if not I'd be happy to share photos of mine on certain topics if you want.

I've also attached a document I came across on the internet that has been a little useful, it gives a brief overview of important people etc but needs to be used alongside a textbook or revision book!

Hope this is relevant and may help in some way!

Good luck tomorrow :smile:
Original post by thavmasto
Can you guys please explain how to insert your knowledge into the b question?
Do we just say like "from my knowledge"?

I wouldn't use that, I simply say something along the lines of "This can be seen with ..." or "evidence of this is..."
Original post by helennfoster
I'm revising by getting the breakdown from the spec and going through each aspect and learning 2 or 3 facts with dates.

Even if you're really confident a certain topic will come up, or you feel like you know you would't choose a certain question it's always good to have a backup in case one of the questions is not worded nicely or you have a complete mind blank.

-The changing personal status of women: marriage, divorce, children and property; challenges to the 'angel in the house' concept.

-Women's changing role within the political system: participation in local government; origins and impact of the suffragist and suffragette campaigns; the impact of the First World War on the suffrage question

-Attitudes of politicians, Parliament and the public suffrage question; the Liberal Government 1906-14; the Parliament Act (1918), the Equal Franchise Act (1928) and their immediate impact

-Changing educational opportunities for women and girls and the impact of these for workplace opportunities; the opening of universities and professions to women

In question B remember to analyse the sources as a set, using cross-references to reach your conclusion and do not just work through them in their order (paragraph 1 = source one etc)

If you happen to have the white revision guide from my revision notes this has nice simple breakdowns of acts and events and also has small summaries in some of the sections which I'd advise reading and/or making a note of - if not I'd be happy to share photos of mine on certain topics if you want.

I've also attached a document I came across on the internet that has been a little useful, it gives a brief overview of important people etc but needs to be used alongside a textbook or revision book!

Hope this is relevant and may help in some way!

Good luck tomorrow :smile:

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your extremely insightful and detail response, such generosity is truly rare especially during this period of time. I do not have the notes from the white book, although I do have the red book from Edexcel and I have made notes which outline the changes and significance of that period and then the counter points too.

I feel that content is not such a problem, there's hardly anything to remember just relevant key facts and dates which are even mentioned in the sources! Lol
The most anxious prospect of the exam is the type and range of sources they give, everything lies on that. I'd probably spend 5 or 10 minutes annotating the sources. It shouldn't be too bad, just be confident and give it your best shot!

Regards - Gunnarsunn. Good luck also! Be sure to feedback how you think you did! I'd be more than happy to respond and help.
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Hi Helen,

Thank you for your extremely insightful and detail response, such generosity is truly rare especially during this period of time. I do not have the notes from the white book, although I do have the red book from Edexcel and I have made notes which outline the changes and significance of that period and then the counter points too.

I feel that content is not such a problem, there's hardly anything to remember just relevant key facts and dates which are even mentioned in the sources! Lol
The most anxious prospect of the exam is the type and range of sources they give, everything lies on that. I'd probably spend 5 or 10 minutes annotating the sources. It shouldn't be too bad, just be confident and give it your best shot!

Regards - Gunnarsunn. Good luck also! Be sure to feedback how you think you did! I'd be more than happy to respond and help.

Yes, I agree there is not that much other than facts and dates to remember. I'm happy to help, I know how stressful exams are especially once you're in sixth form! With regards to the sources, just remember that you are analysing them so it is up to you how you interpret them and then you base your conclusion off that. Then of course you can look at the provenance; newspapers are sensational, local newspapers may have limited opinion etc.; the title of a source could also be referred to; audience and tone are important to - is it angry, persuasive, dismissive etc.

The hardest sources, I believe, are images but just remember to analyse it like any other source - was the image used in a newspaper? is it satirical? is it a photograph or a a painting? Then try and figure out what message it is trying to convey and go from there, for example is it showing women as being aggressive or hysterical therefore could be seen as attacking suffragettes or being derogatory toward them. If it's showing a woman being protected, supported, beaten or suppressed by a man you can argue it is not challenging the ideology of separate spheres or the Angel in the House...

I think the best thing to do is take a moment to read/look at the sources and if needs be, have a tiny freakout haha, get it out of the system and then tackle the question - there is no point panicking about anything once you're in the exam and you just have to take a deep breath and do the best you can with the sources you have. Plus, you can always resit like me haha
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by lucyx
That's exactly what I thought: trade unions and employment post WW1. They would also be my nightmare questions - I'm sure there's practically nothing in the textbooks on trade unions except for why they viewed women workers as a threat :s-smilie:
The impact of WW1 would have been ideal, but that was in last year's paper...:angry:

I bought revisionnotes revision guide and it manages to make a page of trade unions , but i still dont know it!
currently making a mind map of all things job related, then gonna add in trade unions!

literally gonna fail this exam! so not prepared.
guys what question was in last years womens paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending