The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Physics PH1 May 19th 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DirtyExamTables
I think I did okay on the experiment question, the grasshopper one is either all right or all completely wrong, and deriving the equation :angry: I did steps of vt x a, vta x n, vtan x e, then dividing by t and cancelling the t's to get nave. Didn't remember to mention how it equalled I though.

I thought I did pretty good on the experiment question, but in hindsight I can't tell as it's never come up before so I can't judge it against previous markschemes, I was hoping for as close to 120UMS as possible but I don't even know now
Original post by thegayman
You have to work out the time, using time=distance travelled/speed

it doesn't make sense cause if you travel 600m in total, 40km/h for half and 60km/h for half then you've traveled 50km/h overall right
does anyone know where the mark scheme is?
1. Horizontal v= 2
Vertical = 2.94
Magnitude = 3.56
Angle = 58
Air resistance to left
3. Pd= 4.5
Pd = 3.75
Combined parallel resistance = 750
Variable resiator = 4500
Pd decreases
4. Experiment....
5.Inave?
6. Zip line..
7.Define displacement -
The displacement of a point B from a point A is the shortest distance from A to B, together with the direction. ( From WJEC definitions.)
Average speed = 48
Average velocity = 0
Thats all i can remember off the top of my head so pretty sure some of those are off
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 164
I PUT LIQUID HELIUM ON THE SUPERCONDUCTIVITY QUESTION AND THEN CHANGED IT TO LIQUID HYDROGEN which has nothing to do with superconductivity. I made so many stupid mistakes and it's probably cost me a huge amount of marks
And I even didn't do the explain resistance in terms of electrons which I'm sure is GCSE, I ran out of time as I attempted to prioritise the big mark questions. And then I heard that some people had like 5 minutes extra to finish off, evil examiner. I didn't want to risk being called a cheater for using more time than permitted :frown:
Original post by rhungwilym
it doesn't make sense cause if you travel 600m in total, 40km/h for half and 60km/h for half then you've traveled 50km/h overall right

.........in sorry but that's completely wrong, even in KS2 or KS3 that's just completely wrong,what you e done is find the mean of 60 and 40 as numbers, not the mean VELOCITY, which you can only do by knowing the dostance travelled and the time taken
Original post by gergjre
I PUT LIQUID HELIUM ON THE SUPERCONDUCTIVITY QUESTION AND THEN CHANGED IT TO LIQUID HYDROGEN which has nothing to do with superconductivity. I made so many stupid mistakes and it's probably cost me a huge amount of marks

I hedged my bets by putting both liquid helium and liquid nitrogen... I'm sure I'll get marked for the incorrect one
Original post by thegayman
.........in sorry but that's completely wrong, even in KS2 or KS3 that's just completely wrong,what you e done is find the mean of 60 and 40 as numbers, not the mean VELOCITY, which you can only do by knowing the dostance travelled and the time taken

I'm sure there will be E.C.F anyways
Original post by sahank1
1. Horizontal v= 2
Vertical = 3.56
Magnitude = 4.1
Angle = 58
3. Pd= 8.5
Pd = 3.75
Combined parallel resistance = 750
Variable resiator = 4500
Pd decreases
4. Experiment....
5.Inave?
6. Zip line..
7.Define displacement - mean velocity x time
Average speed = 48
Average velocity = 0
Thats all i can remember off the top of my head so pretty sure some of those are off

I had different odd to you in q3 (4.5 and 7.5 if I remember correctly) and a completely different answer 1b forward. Probably used the wrong sin or cos and divided instead of multiplied or vice versa. Am I likely to get ecf marks as I only messed up b which effected my later answers? I made a right dogs dinner of moments too *locks room and cries in corner*
Those are completely off the top of my head so you may have got the correct answer and the moments ones were 196, 92 and 58 i think
I had different odd to you in q3 (4.5 and 7.5 if I remember correctly) and a completely different answer 1b forward. Probably used the wrong sin or cos and divided instead of multiplied or vice versa. Am I likely to get ecf marks as I only messed up b which effected my later answers? I made a right dogs dinner of moments too *locks room and cries in corner*

I got a different vertical answer on 1b ... Same angle though.. I said the p.d stays the same which I know is wrong but I explained that current would increase and resistance would decrease (I think) so that means that both those changes from V = IxR would cancel out and therefore V would remain the same 😥
Original post by sahank1
Those are completely off the top of my head so you may have got the correct answer and the moments ones were 196, 92 and 58 i think

Oh no, I definitely didn't get it. I stopped when I got to something cos40 as I was unsure of what to do next as I ran out of time
Original post by Qwertykeyboard15
I got a different vertical answer on 1b ... Same angle though.. I said the p.d stays the same which I know is wrong but I explained that current would increase and resistance would decrease (I think) so that means that both those changes from V = IxR would cancel out and therefore V would remain the same 😥

I think you may be right on the pd staying the same
I hedged my bets by putting both liquid helium and liquid nitrogen... I'm sure I'll get marked for the incorrect one

I put liquid nitrogen but then changed to helium cause I remembered nitrogen only worked for high temp super conductors, I've checked the book and both should be right, played safe and put helium cause it can cool it down to lower temperatures and I wasn't sure if it was above or below liquid nitrogen temperature, was only about 30 degrees above it!
Original post by sahank1
I think you may be right on the pd staying the same

If you're on about the variable resistor question the voltage went down. Basically the R (parallel combo) of the R total went down so V(parallel combo) of the V total went down. The pd of the other resistor went up! Not sure if this explains it very well put if it had 3/4 of resistance it would dissipate 3/4 of pd. If resistance went down by 1 ohm it would have 2/3 of resistance so 2/3 of pd! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Jonooo123
If you're on about the variable resistor question the voltage went down. Basically the R (parallel combo) of the R total went down so V(parallel combo) of the V total went down. The pd of the other resistor went up!

Thats what i wrote but what about current? Doesnt that also go down?
I said that the pd stays the same, I mentioned the change in I and R cancelling out, and also mentioned the fact that variable resistor and the resistor in parallel must have the same Pd as they're parallel, and if their of changes then the pd of the resistor in series also changes therefore would have to same the same as before
Original post by Jonooo123
Directly to the left :smile: because it was only moving right at that instant air resistance would only be to the left!

I circled the one that was pointing south east? it was like a tangent to the curve since that was the direction I thought the air resistance was acting?
Original post by rhungwilym

Yeah but you're travelling at 60km/h for less than than you're travelling at 40km/h.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending