The Student Room Group

Economics Unit 2 Edexcel - Managing the UK economy Tuesday 19th May 2015 (PM)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AJC1997
for the 30 marker in question 2:

I defined supply side policies and what the aim of them is etc in an introduction, then drew an as/ad diagram showing the outward shift in LRAS leading to an increase in real output.

then I chose 3 supply side policies, explained how they would increase real output and evaluated them in detail:

I chose:
1.Increased government expenditure on education and training schemes - this would reduce occupational immobility of labour etc etc
2. Privatisation and deregulation - forces firms to become more competitive and efficient so increases the level of real output etc
3. decrease in income and corporation tax - means firms have more money to spend on investment and to employ labour, also a decrease in income tax increases the opportunity cost of being out of work so employment should increase, increasing real output further.

I also said near the end that they could only be truly effective if AD also increased...

sound ok?

Yeah, no doubt, all good supply side stuff. It sound stupid, but on a supply side question I always feel like I should have put more demand side stuff in, like always showing that SSPs 'only do this to AD'.

I went with R&D subsidies, education and short term training schemes for workers.
guys can you retake just unit 2 next year?
Original post by Jemy
PLEASE ANYONE!

I took question 1 and did the 30 marker ask to evaluate demand side policies causing conflicts with macroeconomic objectives or demand side policies causing conficts with macroeconomic objectives?

I because I analysed the conflicts that they caused. Such with inflation, current account and the environment indirectly because of growth.

If it was the first and not the second, should I still score okay?

i think i also answered conflicts between demand side policies and macroeconomic objectives..i swear it was that
Original post by 09ekennedy
what did people put for causes of deficit on current account and effects of investment on price level and output?!

Weak exchange rate leads to less exports
Decrease in productivity leads to higher cost of production and so cost push inflation and so UK becomes less price competitive
what did people put for causes of deficit on current account and effects of investment on price level and output?!

For causes of deficit, i said strong pound and low income abroad

For investment i said both output and price level decrease

causes of deficit on current account other than productivity:

1. The fact that the UK has inelastic demand for Imports and is a net importer as firms require commodities such as oil which can only be obtained via importing, also domestic businesses can't meet the demand for consumer imported goods as they cannot create valid substitutes.

2.The Exchange rate. Usually the sterling is strong, and a strong sterling would make UK exports less competitive and Imports cheaper for domestic UK residents to purchase, thus the current account deficit will worsen if the sterling is strong in comparison to other currencies.

think they are valid?

effects of the decrease in investment on price level and output:

(I)is a component of AD so AD would shift to the left, LRAS would also shift to the left as less investment means potential output will decrease, so real output would decrease and depending on the change in demand, prices would either decrease/increase slightly or remain similar, drew AD/AS diagram, evaluated etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by epic within
Decrease in productivity leads to higher cost of production and so cost push inflation and so UK becomes less price competitive

What

You mean strong exchange leads to less exports
Original post by AJC1997

1. The fact that the UK has inelastic demand for Imports and is a net importer as firms require commodities such as oil which can only be obtained via importing, also domestic businesses can't meet the demand for consumer imported goods as they cannot create valid substitutes.

2.The Exchange rate. Usually the sterling is strong, and a strong sterling would make UK exports less competitive and Imports cheaper for domestic UK residents to purchase, thus the current account deficit will worsen if the sterling is strong in comparison to other currencies.

think they are valid?

(I)is a component of AD so AD would shift to the left, LRAS would also shift to the left as less investment means potential output will decrease, so real output would decrease and depending on the change in demand, prices would either increase or remain similar, drew AD/AS diagram, evaluated etc

I used that first one exactly, but for the second I said a fall in X due to poor demand in the Eurozone.
Original post by golden tribe

Original post by AJC1997

think they are valid?

(I)is a component of AD so AD would shift to the left, LRAS would also shift to the left as less investment means potential output will decrease, so real output would decrease and depending on the change in demand, prices would either increase or remain similar, drew AD/AS diagram, evaluated etc

Thanks for the deficit i said about inflation to exports are less price competitive? i also said about interest rates affecting exchange rates and hot money so exports are more expensive is this correct?
Original post by epic within

wouldn't a weak exchange rate increase the demand for UK exports? or do you mean other countries having a weak exchange rate compared to the UK?

my bad edit
(edited 8 years ago)
What

You mean strong exchange leads to less exports

Yeah just realised:frown:
Question 2 was absolutely amazing LOL. Really happy with how that paper went, hopefully should be an A for it:tongue:
Thanks for the deficit i said about inflation to exports are less price competitive? i also said about interest rates affecting exchange rates and hot money so exports are more expensive is this correct?

yes those are good! Wish I talked about hot money flows somewhere haha
i flopped, is it possible to retake one module next year?
Reply 535
For the causes of the current account deficit I put high inflation and high interest rates and explained them do you think those will be okay?
what did you guys get for the components of balance of payments on Q2?
Original post by Achint10
i think i also answered conflicts between demand side policies and macroeconomic objectives..i swear it was that

Wait, so if it is like that, you can still say something like decrease in tax means high employment but conflict with BoP right?
Original post by jshep000
Question 2 was absolutely amazing LOL. Really happy with how that paper went, hopefully should be an A for it:tongue:

The 30 marker was a dream
Original post by AJC1997
for falling productivity I talked about the current account deficit - poor productivity compared to other G7 countries would cause a deterioration on the current account as UK exports would become less competitive.

Also it would cause a decrease in real income as extract 1 said people were accepting lower wages to keep their job, so disposable income/consumer spending would decrease, also firms may lay off workers to cut costs to try and become more competitive so it could lead to unemployment.

Also if demand decreased at a lower rate than the decrease in potential output (as the uk would be operating in a negative output gap) it would lead to inflation..evaluated all of these eg depends on the level of consumer confidence in the economy.......inelastic demand for labour so.......can't remember everything.

This would be ok right?

yeah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending