The Student Room Group
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website

Forensic Science Graduate - Ask me anything!

Hi!

I studied Forensic Science at Staffordshire University and graduated with First Class Honours in 2013. I did the foundation year at Stafford College so was in university for four years.

I am creating this post so that you can ask me anything about the course, the university or applying :smile: Ask away!
Original post by Linsy
Hi!

I studied Forensic Science at Staffordshire University and graduated with First Class Honours in 2013. I did the foundation year at Stafford College so was in university for four years.

I am creating this post so that you can ask me anything about the course, the university or applying :smile: Ask away!

What a great idea for a thread - thanks so much for setting this up! Congratulations on your graduation - you must be really pleased. Well done. :smile:

What was your favourite thing about the course and why?
Staffordshire University
Stoke-on-Trent
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Linsy, great idea for a thread! well done on your graduation.

I'm a Forensic Science student at the Stoke campus and have just finished my Foundation year, so like you I'll be studying for 4 years in total, this September will be my first university year.

I'm an older student of 25 interested to know how you've found looking for work, getting into a related field since you have graduated? Did you do a work - placement whilst studying, if so what did it involve?

One last thing...how busy did your first year (university) timetable look?

Many thanks in advance,
Tony.
Reply 3
Original post by Tony_Lee
Hi Linsy, great idea for a thread! well done on your graduation.

I'm a Forensic Science student at the Stoke campus and have just finished my Foundation year, so like you I'll be studying for 4 years in total, this September will be my first university year.

I'm an older student of 25 interested to know how you've found looking for work, getting into a related field since you have graduated? Did you do a work - placement whilst studying, if so what did it involve?

One last thing...how busy did your first year (university) timetable look?

Many thanks in advance,
Tony.

I found a lab based job, in microbiology, in May so I started just after last exams and before graduation! I worked there for 3 months then found another lab job, wet chemistry, and have been here almost 2 years. I am currently gaining lab experience here which will be valuable for applying for future jobs. There are quite a few forensic jobs available but mostly in different areas of the country therefore you would probably have to be willing to relocate.

There was no opportunity for a work placement whilst studying but I did complete a 6 week placement in Staffordshire Police Forensic Dept arranged through the university after 3rd year. You could apply to some laboratories for work experience over the summer periods to get yourself a head start for after graduation.

My first year timetable was not too busy. I had completed a first year module during my foundation year so that gave me some spare time. I would say that some days you would be in for the whole day whereas others you may only have one lecture.
Reply 4
Original post by Staffordshire University
What a great idea for a thread - thanks so much for setting this up! Congratulations on your graduation - you must be really pleased. Well done. :smile:

What was your favourite thing about the course and why?

My favourite thing about the course was the support I received from the lecturers, it was amazing. They were always there for meetings and emails regarding assignments so never felt lost or alone.
Reply 5
hello, i wanted to do forensic science at university but the only problem is i dont do any science a levels and at gcse i did BTEC science, will forensic science be super hard for me as i have no knowledge on science? and will unis accept me?
Original post by pomma
hello, i wanted to do forensic science at university but the only problem is i dont do any science a levels and at gcse i did BTEC science, will forensic science be super hard for me as i have no knowledge on science? and will unis accept me?

Hello :smile:

Just to let you know that I've seen this, I'm sorry that we missed your question.

Do you want to PM me your details - subjects/ grades and I can chat with you about your options?

Thanks,
Katie :h:
Reply 7
Original post by pomma

I didn't have a science a level so I did forensic science with a foundation year. This tops up your science knowledge before first year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fabrique
Hi!

Hi Im starting at Canterbury studying forensic science with investigation (foundation year) could you give me a little insight into what I might expect in my first 6 months. I'd like to get ahead, from what I understand it entails a lot of biology and chemistry study. What I really want to know is what aspects of this I will be covering?

Many thanks
Reply 9
Original post by alisonphelan
Hi Im starting at Canterbury studying forensic science with investigation (foundation year) could you give me a little insight into what I might expect in my first 6 months. I'd like to get ahead, from what I understand it entails a lot of biology and chemistry study. What I really want to know is what aspects of this I will be covering?

Many thanks

Hi, your first year will be very introductory and the uni will support you. Just take on any advice they give and look at recommended resources. To get ahead, read around each topic, not just what you're given in lectures.
Original post by Fabrique
Hi, your first year will be very introductory and the uni will support you. Just take on any advice they give and look at recommended resources. To get ahead, read around each topic, not just what you're given in lectures.

thank you
Hi can you tell us what kind of subject modules you cover on the foundation year and tell us a little about the kind of areas you study please.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending