The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Can some people help me with Q8, Q12 and Q24 on June 2013?

I got answers of C, B, B which is wrong.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1661
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Question 8 just uses one ratio of 1:2 (for m and f) so I would use the third type of informal approach in my last answer which is proportions. The other approaches would work but are unnecessary in this 1:something format; I'll show both anyway though. It's hard to distinguish between when it is best to use them but it comes down to how intuitive the question is.
.SHM Question.png
LHS:
First two lines are the given ratios rearranged.
Second two lines show the velocity ratio is equal to the frequency ratio (constant cancels since ratios used) based on the SHM maximum velocity equation.
Last lines substitute last rearranged equations into the kinetic energy equation.

The last stage could have just substituted the direct m2/m1 and v2/v1 ratios E=mv^2 (not constant since ratios) to give 8 but wanted to show it in full.

RHS is intuitive.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1662
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

This uses the gravitational field equation with two ratios.

Gravitation Fields Question 2.png
First two equations are the given ratios.
Second two equations rearrange the gravitational field equation for r.
Last two equations substitute the given ratios into the rearranged equation, leaving out the constant since ratios are substituted in (cancel if you like).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1663
Original post by JayCS
Question 8 just uses one ratio of 1:2 (for m and f) so I would use the third type of informal approach in my last answer which is proportions. The other approaches would work but are unnecessary in this 1:something format; I'll show both anyway though. It's hard to distinguish between when it is best to use them but it comes down to how intuitive the question is.
.SHM Question.png
LHS:
First two lines are the given ratios rearranged.
Second two lines show the velocity ratio is equal to the frequency ratio (constant cancels since ratios used) based on the SHM maximum velocity equation.
Last lines substitute last rearranged equations into the kinetic energy equation.

The last stage could have just substituted the direct m2/m1 and v2/v1 ratios E=mv^2 (not constant since ratios) to give 8 but wanted to show it in full.

RHS is intuitive.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1664
Original post by JayCS
This uses the gravitational field equation with two ratios.

Gravitation Fields Question 2.png
First two equations are the given ratios.
Second two equations rearrange the gravitational field equation for r.
Last two equations substitute the given ratios into the rearranged equation, leaving out the constant since ratios are substituted in (cancel if you like).

Again - thanks - do you know how to do Q24?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1665
Original post by CD223
Again - thanks - do you know how to do Q24?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:.

Do you mean a different question to Q24? You said you got B for it and that's correct.
Reply 1666
Original post by JayCS
No problem :smile:.

Do you mean a different question to Q24? You said you got B for it and that's correct.

Lol I'm so stupid... I meant I got C and the answer was B :frown:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432050230.509931.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1667
Does the equation:

[br](n+1)×Tshort=(n)×Tlong[br][br](n+1) \times {T_{short}} = (n) \times {T_{long}}[br]

Always apply for two pendulums where n= the number of oscillations before they are next in phase?

If so, could I have an explanation of why it works please?

Brain not functioning today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1668
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got B because I knew the formulae was Blv and remembered the derivation of it used the same direction (where the rod is moving in the length's direction).
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a start it must be one of the rows with horizontal and perpendicular in, because otherwise it won't cut any field lines and no emf would be induced.
Reply 1670
Original post by Lau14
For a start it must be one of the rows with horizontal and perpendicular in, because otherwise it won't cut any field lines and no emf would be induced.

Original post by JayCS
I got B because I knew the formulae was Blv and remembered the derivation of it used the same direction (where the rod is moving in the length's direction).

That's true. Thanks guys!

I think I put vertical because I tried to use the right hand rule or something. Stupid mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
That's true. Thanks guys!

I think I put vertical because I tried to use the right hand rule or something. Stupid mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some form of Fleming's rule would probably have been my first response too to be honest!
Reply 1672
Original post by Lau14
Some form of Fleming's rule would probably have been my first response too to be honest!

I used the right hand rule which seemed to not work out?

Unless I'm mistaken.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432054350.141178.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
I used the right hand rule which seemed to not work out?

Unless I'm mistaken.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432054350.141178.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi CD223,

The problem with this question is that it can be quite difficult to visualise at first.

You don't need to use any of Fleming's hand rules actually, if you imagine the wire moving upwards (bare in mind the diagram is a side view) it doesn't cut through any lines of flux therefore no emf is induced. The wire can only cut through the flux lines if it moves perpendicular to them.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 1674
Original post by sam_97
Hi CD223,

The problem with this question is that it can be quite difficult to visualise at first.

You don't need to use any of Fleming's hand rules actually, if you imagine the wire moving upwards (bare in mind the diagram is a side view) it doesn't cut through any lines of flux therefore no emf is induced. The wire can only cut through the flux lines if it moves perpendicular to them.

Hope that helps :smile:

Ah I see. Thank you. The diagram threw me. I knew the theory of it being perpendicular, but couldn't visualise it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ah I see. Thank you. The diagram threw me. I knew the theory of it being perpendicular, but couldn't visualise it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries! It is pretty confusing, I can remember doing that one a while ago and even my teacher couldn't visualise it at first!
Reply 1676
Original post by sam_97
No worries! It is pretty confusing, I can remember doing that one a while ago and even my teacher couldn't visualise it at first!

I think if the diagram was clearer then most people would get the right answer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone has the specimen paper? :smile:
Original post by you-only-live-once

I have seen some specimen paper on OCR website but i don't know if they are the ones you are looking for

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1679
Original post by you-only-live-once

My teacher has a paper copy - I'll try and email him asking for a copy! If I'm successful I'll post it here :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending