The Student Room Group

Economics Unit 2 Edexcel - Managing the UK economy Tuesday 19th May 2015 (PM)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trungb96
This is what I wrote for the 30 markers in Q2, which was also what most of my friends did. Take this for consideration only.

Define supply side policy.
Few arguments:
1. Cut benefits -> create incentive to find jobs -> more work -> output increase
2. Cut income tax -> create incentive to work for workers -> productivity increase -> output increase
3. Cut corporation tax -> more investment -> technology, efficiency etc -> output increase
4. Training and education -> skills goes up -> more output.

Evaluation: time lag, quality of training, other factors cancelling out, firms may not invest but will keep it for themselves, other way to increase real output ( I referred to other policies, fiscal and monetary to compare, that kind of stuff).

Hope this helps.

exactly, I mentioned all of these but instead of cutting benefits I used Privatisation and Deregulation which I think are strong supply side policies especially for increasing real output
Original post by dripper
that was you? loved it

YAY!
Original post by Praveen101
You're going to get 0 for AA and evaluation as the only way you can mention subsidies is by them subsiding education, other forms of subsidies cant be used e.g to farmers as this doesn't increase productivity just output , the mark scheme never awards for simply subsidies and textbooks advise against using it.

Oh my god. Is that really true? ****ing hell. I've never Heard that before . Been a year since doing it and just ****
Reply 683
Original post by Cate12345
Can anyone briefly say the question 1 questions??? And if possible the marks too. Just brief cause can't remeber 😓

the first one was on saving ratio
and i can vaguely remember the rest
effect of budget deficit on circular flow of income
benefits of low/stable inflation
analyse monetary policy
reasons why they didn't change the interest rate
the 30 marker was demand-side policies conflicting with macroeconomic objectives
Since it was 12 marks it would be 8 marks for KAA and 4 marks for eval

8 KAA

Diagram showing both the AS (1) and AD(1) falling (4 for being correct overall)

Then explanation about why AD falls (2)

And why AS falls (AD)

4 eval (2x2 or one for 4)

e.g I is a small component of AD, other components of AD

I said in the long run productive capacity would be affected, thus in the future real output will fall significantly

Also I talked about elasticity of AS curve e.g spare capacity

will I get eval marks??
Original post by Tommy97
Oh my god. Is that really true? ****ing hell. I've never Heard that before . Been a year since doing it and just ****

My teacher always tell me to avoid writing about subsidies as much as possible, as it's not applicable to the UK or any developed countries since there aren't that much subsidies in real life. In the UK there's barely any subsidies, maybe some for agricutural business
'To what extent do demand side policies lead to conflicts between macroeconomic objectives'' (30 marks)
Things they considered before keeping interest rate the same.
Benefits of low inflation.
What does a budget deficit do to the circular flow of income.
What is meant by ''monetary policy''?
Original post by Mowtoe
the first one was on saving ratio
and i can vaguely remember the rest
effect of budget deficit on circular flow of income
benefits of low/stable inflation
analyse monetary policy
reasons why they didn't change the interest rate
the 30 marker was demand-side policies conflicting with macroeconomic objectives

so you read with aswell, thats what i wrote but alot of people are saying it said between when im sure it sed with marco objectives
Original post by kylemiller
for the productivity question, i put as the productivity decreased, firms have to hire more workers. therefore, the cost of production might increase and results in inflation.
is it right?

Well logically, a firm wouldn't do that would they, if a Tyre fitter in a garage was inefficient they wouldn't hire more Tyre fitters, they would pass on the increase in prices to consumer directly or they would substitute with more efficient capital leading to unemployment, you could have gone directly to for final point but hopefully examiners will overlook it
This is what I wrote for the 30 markers in Q2, which was also what most of my friends did. Take this for consideration only.

Define supply side policy.
Few arguments:
1. Cut benefits -> create incentive to find jobs -> more work -> output increase
2. Cut income tax -> create incentive to work for workers -> productivity increase -> output increase
3. Cut corporation tax -> more investment -> technology, efficiency etc -> output increase
4. Training and education -> skills goes up -> more output.

Evaluation: time lag, quality of training, other factors cancelling out, firms may not invest but will keep it for themselves, other way to increase real output ( I referred to other policies, fiscal and monetary to compare, that kind of stuff).

Hope this helps.

Aren't cutting income tax and benefits fiscal policy while the question was about supply side? I wrote about training and education like you but also I did subsidies for firms and investment into infastructure
Original post by member1753327
I said in the long run productive capacity would be affected, thus in the future real output will fall significantly

Also I talked about elasticity of AS curve e.g spare capacity

will I get eval marks??

If you said a rise in AD will cause price levels to rise, yes than you can evaluate about the level of spare capacity however if you just mentioned that real output will rise because of AD rising but not mention prices rising then itll make little sense
My teacher always tell me to avoid writing about subsidies as much as possible, as it's not applicable to the UK or any developed countries since there aren't that much subsidies in real life. In the UK there's barely any subsidies, maybe some for agricutural business

Honestly feel awful now, can someone possibly link me to a mark scheme with a similar question? I don't know any examples
Original post by Darcy1
Aren't cutting income tax and benefits fiscal policy while the question was about supply side? I wrote about training and education like you but also I did subsidies for firms and investment into infastructure

Actually it is and it isn't, these two can be argued for both side of policy. You can say they keep more disposable income, therefore they can afford to spend more ( demand side policy) or you can argue it the way I did :biggrin:
Original post by AJC1997
exactly, I mentioned all of these but instead of cutting benefits I used Privatisation and Deregulation which I think are strong supply side policies especially for increasing real output

I used Privatisation, Education/training and raising of retirement age/lowering minimum working age which I've always quite liked as a point to increase amount of workers which firms can now hire, increasing output. :tongue:
If you said a rise in AD will cause price levels to rise, yes than you can evaluate about the level of spare capacity however if you just mentioned that real output will rise because of AD rising but not mention prices rising then itll make little sense

Actually real output and price level fell
1d.) ''To what extent do demand side policies lead to conflicts between macroeconomic objectives'' (30 marks)

This is how I structured it:

I mentioned a macroeconomic objective in each paragraph, stated HOW a fiscal/monetary policy would help achieve it & then I stated how/why that objective would conflict with the initial objective. Then I obviously evaluated
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 696
Original post by jimbo1234567890
so you read with aswell, thats what i wrote but alot of people are saying it said between when im sure it sed with marco objectives

it was definitely with
Original post by Darcy1

Fiscal policies and supply side policies overall , in your example it self the government spending on education is infact Government expenditure is it not and therefore an expansionary fiscal policy. aswell as a supply side policy.

KAA 18Up to 6 marks (3 x 2 marks):
Defining supply side policies as measures by the government toincrease productive capacity of the economy OR increase LRAS• Defining economic growth as an increase in either real OR potentialGDP• Use of relevant data (e.g. data on corporation tax rates from Extract2 and/or Figure 2)• Use of a production possibility frontier diagram to demonstrategrowth through SSP OR use of an AD/AS diagram to demonstrategrowth through SSP

Policies might include (up to 12 marks):
Corporation tax reductions (1 x 4 marks or 1 x 6 marks)
increasing investment/productivity or attraction of overseasinvestment and link to economic growthOther SSP (2 x 4 marks or 1 x 6 marks) - 2 marks for identification of policyand up to 4 marks for link to economic growth• Increased or improved education• Increased and improved training• Increased or improved health care• Changing the level of benefits to incentivise employment• Reducing income tax to incentivise employment• Cutting cost of bureaucracy / increased deregulation• Privatisation of an industry such as Royal Mail, which may lead toincreased competition, innovation and efficiency• Infrastructure investment such as roads or broadband, reducingindustries' costs or improving access to market• Increased flexibility and/or mobility of labour market, e.g. reducetrade union power / improved information flows / reduce or abolishnational minimum wage

Evaluation of other supply side policies (up to 1 x 6 marks or 2 x 4 marks)
Time it takes for supply side policies to take effect• Privatisation may lead to private monopolies and less efficiency andlower economic growth• Cut in income tax designed as an incentive to work and invest may beineffective if workers use it as an opportunity to work less for the(30)same income• The actions of other countries also trying to attract investment• Increase in UK taxation elsewhere may have an effect on incentives• Supply side policies ineffective if AD is very low• Elasticity of AD curve• Magnitude of policy changes.
Cut in corporation tax ineffective if companies use the cut to boostdividend payments / retained profits rather than for investment• Interest rates / confidence may affect investment more thancorporation tax rates (questioning ceteris paribus)• Positive or negative comparison to other countries' corporation taxrates
wait so a fall in AD can not be used to evaluate the elasticity of AS curve??
Reply 699
lol its 100% between macro-economic objectives

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending