The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Geography A - Unit 1: Skills and Challenges - 19th May 2015

Scroll to see replies

What did everyone write the lighthouse question?
Original post by techfan42
yeah, it was like 3.5-4, I got 3.9 so yeah

I also liked the last question, it was kind of unexpected tho which examples did you use
also, any other questions you found hard ?

Whew! Omg i loved the last Q cause that was like the main bit of challenges that i understood fully!

I used the ones in the Hodder Education textbooks - ASDA, Nokia and General Electric.

The only other Q i found hard was the primary and secondary data one, that was weird!

Original post by hangra97
For the distance between the two train stations I got 3, my friend got 4 so I don't know if I got it right or not... What did anyone else get ? And how did you find the paper? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

3.6 and really good :smile:

Original post by daniellechristi
i didnt understand the question about the negative effects of the glaciers on humans. what did everyone put? and i also got 4 for the distance btw

i wrote only about the rising sea levels and how they link to flooding but i used all of the lines so hopefully the details will boost me up!

Original post by daniellechristi
what did everyone put when it asked about how gis could be used for the bodham place?

also the 6 mark on skills was a bit weird

I said they could layer information about wildlife on top, for example. Yeah it was really weird, think i messed that up!

Original post by Crepsley8
The paper was so good especially the six mark questions, loool and nothing about rainforests.
I got 4.2 for the distance?
Section A did hardly any skills, nothing to do with drawing maps, it was all like analysing data and the maps

Yeah i agree but i found it good generally :smile: was shocked there was nothing on contour lines!?
Original post by ruthie_nuggetty
What did everyone write the lighthouse question?

I used spot height data in that it was 93m above sea level so therefore the keeper would be able to see a wide area and how it is near the coast so there are no obstacles in its way.
Reply 63
Hi,
For the distance I got 2.8km, I went over this so many times so I can't see how it is wrong :/
For the lighthouse I put, because it was on a headland, and it was also near cliffs which is one of the main obstacles.
On the whole Ithiught the paper was pretty decent
I got 4.5 km so think I'm completely wrong! I didn't get any time to check at all. I was so surprised that there was nothing about rainforests at all! The glacier question and the skills six marker completely threw me... Hope the grade boundaries are low!
Reply 65
The answers for that question were quite mixed at our school, you would have thought measuring the length of raid would be easy, huh?
6 marker okay for me as it was basically my course work.
Reply 66
what did everyone put down as Y? I said it was a campsite
I dont know how your school taught you the negative affects but we had case study evidence for it.
1) Tuvalu 75 people a year are being evacuated to New Zealand due to rising sea levels, this affects the people because they have to adapt to new culture and may be separated from family members.
2) The water from the melting of the glaciers would disrupt the gulf stream, therefore the UK and other parts of Europe would have colder winters and summers by around 10 degrees C.
Original post by K K

It was Golf Course, if this is the second part to the first question. You had to use the map to find the use of the land.
For the train station question I got 4km, and for the lighthouse question I got 'The location offers a clear view of the sea' and 'It is located near a large settlement (Croburn or whatever it was called?)'
I was probably wrong on at least one though. The second half of the paper was much better for me.
Original post by Pi=3.1415
For the train station question I got 4km, and for the lighthouse question I got 'The location offers a clear view of the sea' and 'It is located near a large settlement (Croburn or whatever it was called?)'
I was probably wrong on at least one though. The second half of the paper was much better for me.

Me along with the majority of my class put 4km, and I said that the lighthouse was some many metres above sea level (cant remember) and that its positioned so that it is easy to see from the NW and NE directions easier.
Original post by JG12333
The answers for that question were quite mixed at our school, you would have thought measuring the length of raid would be easy, huh?
6 marker okay for me as it was basically my course work.

yeah me too!
Reply 72
I think a lot of people got the train track one wrong, it said the track goes from "insert town name" to "insert town name" but it said to find the length of the track from two different stations.
Asked my teacher and she said your answer should have been about 2.7-3.0
Original post by JG12333
I think a lot of people got the train track one wrong, it said the track goes from "insert town name" to "insert town name" but it said to find the length of the track from two different stations.
Asked my teacher and she said your answer should have been about 2.7-3.0

I'm fairly sure it said to measure the length of the track from one station to the 2nd one on the line. Otherwise if it was '2 different stations' there would be a plethora of different possible answers.
Reply 74
Original post by MatthewJohnson
I'm fairly sure it said to measure the length of the track from one station to the 2nd one on the line. Otherwise if it was '2 different stations' there would be a plethora of different possible answers.

Didn't mean to quote two different stations! Just didn't know the names .
Reply 75
I found the exam ok. What was the answer to the cause of climate change? And what did you write for your primary and secondary data?
Reply 76
Original post by Y123456
I found the exam ok. What was the answer to the cause of climate change? And what did you write for your primary and secondary data?

There were a number of answers for both questions.
For the climate change I put volcanic activity releasing SO2, acting as a blanket cooling the Earth. I also put solar out put changing ie 0.1% decrease in solar output since the 90s. You could have put things like orbital geometry for example, or methane from natural sources like cow.
The primary and secondary was really dependent on the hypotheses you chose.
Reply 77
Original post by JG12333
There were a number of answers for both questions.
For the climate change I put volcanic activity releasing SO2, acting as a blanket cooling the Earth. I also put solar out put changing ie 0.1% decrease in solar output since the 90s. You could have put things like orbital geometry for example, or methane from natural sources like cow.
The primary and secondary was really dependent on the hypotheses you chose.

Is talking about increase in burning coal thus causing more carbon dioxide and greenhouse gases correct?
Reply 78
Original post by Y123456
Is talking about increase in burning coal thus causing more carbon dioxide and greenhouse gases correct?

I chose for my primary data question the urban area one
Original post by K K

It was a golf course :smile: You had to locate the two given places on the OS map and then look for an OS symbol between the two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending