The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LikeASomebody
For geometric series with problems such as money, sometimes is see that you have to use ar^n-1, whereas other times is see that you just have to use ar^n. Is there a clear way of being able to tell which on to use?

It's always ar^n-1. It's just that sometimes when there is a year people get confused.

Say the first year is 2000, the second year would be 2001, the third year would be 2002, etc.

So 2002 is ar^2 and this confuses people.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by LikeASomebody
For geometric series with problems such as money, sometimes is see that you have to use ar^n-1, whereas other times is see that you just have to use ar^n. Is there a clear way of being able to tell which on to use?

You would use a(1-r^n) if r is less than 1 and a(r^n-1) if r is greater than 1
R is the common ratio btw :smile:
Original post by userxx990
Alriggghtt ill try :biggrin: can u tell me this one?

Is this a C2 question??
Isn't that Sequences and Series C1?
I did badly last year, tbh it's so much easier once you've done C3 and C4. All these people panicking don't - if you screw up this year the only topics you will have to revise for a resit are circles and geometric series. Everything else is covered again.

I'm hoping for 100 UMS but I know all to well no matter how well you do before, it always goes wrong on the exam.

Something that people forget and can cost you 4 marks:

Proving the sum of a geometric series formula
Original post by Olon
oops, i mean 7)c

I'll take a look
Some tips for this exam:
- If you get asked to show (x+1) is a factor of f(x) using factor theorem, remember you place -1 into f(x) to get f(-1).
- After doing this, state, therefore, (x+1) is a factor of f(x), THIS IS MARKED.
- When asked to do questions with sine, cosine etc. Remember to place your answer back into the equation as a check, and make sure they all work.
- If you get sin^2(x) = y, then go to square root y, remember you get a positive and negative value of root y.
- 'Give all the possible values' o.e. is essential, you will always need to give more than one answer. If you have just 1 answer, check back over your working.
- On the large differentiation questions (with max/min points etc.), don't jump straight in, it's always show so you should be able to pick up that mark later on, and do the easy stuff first.
- For these, you'll often have an unknown x and an unknown y (or another letter), you will usually need to make an equation equal to y then substitute it in. If you don't get a y or whatever, look to see if you have unknown lengths in a diagram. E.g. a length and width of x doesn't been a height of x.
Reply 1067
Original post by Haych97
D is the midpoint therefore it would be 3.5 for DC
You have already worked out arc length
Then you would use the Cosine Rule to work out the length of BD
Add all 3 answers to get your perimeter
Hope this helps!:smile:

Tips for anyone resitting:

Be prepared to laugh at the time given to us.
If exam solutions crashes one more time, i will pull all my hair out!! :angry:
Reply 1070
Original post by frances98
I'll take a look

Thanks but Haych has already helped me :smile:
Original post by Olon
oops, i mean 7)c

Use the cosine rule to work out length BD and then you know that DC is half of 7 so So DC + 5.6 + 5.21

I think you would multiply your answer from part b by 2 to get the flow for 1 second then multiply that answer by 60 as you need the flow per minute:redface:
Hope this helps!
Original post by XI Ki11JoY IX
Tips for anyone resitting:

Be prepared to laugh at the time given to us.

tips for resitting: if you can't do the trig question,
have fun in c3 lol
Original post by LearningGeek
You know how youre retaking your exam, what predicted grade goes towards uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you mean?
Original post by Itsmonique
I'm retaking this module too. I got a C last year. Just aiming for an A in c2 and c1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I got an A in C1, trying to get at least a B in C2.
Have there been any questions directly focused on algebraic division, I know you can use it for helping to factorise quadratics & cubics.... which comes up nearly every paper, although I just do it via inspection.

If there is could you link those questions, as I generally do not have a clue how to carry out algebraic division! :smile:
Original post by frozo123
tips for resitting: if you can't do the trig question,
have fun in c3 lol

So true:biggrin:
Reply 1078
Original post by frances98
Use the cosine rule to work out length BD and then you know that DC is half of 7 so So DC + 5.6 + 5.21

https://c4a3f001dcd45afe69d0ceec83003f9fbc283b2c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYSGtmV3dzVVVvNTg/January%202009%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdf

Q5
and q7b If you can help me

and q9.a :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by marsbar135
If exam solutions crashes one more time, i will pull all my hair out!! :angry:

I know what you mean
I thought it was just me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending