The Student Room Group

Edexcel Igcse English literature

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chrisbpw
Not too bad. I'm a C/B student for lit so I'm not too bothered.

Do you reckon that if I
1. stated and explained techniques used by the writers
2. stated and explained the effects on the reader
3. related some quotes to the social/historical context

Can I get at least a C? What else needed to be done?

yeah, definitely, u explained effects on reader which is like the most important one, and techniques + quotes. Obviously idk exactly what you wrote in ur essay but if you put enough points and explained them well, added suitable and relevant quotes, it would qualify you to get a B, maybe an A. Other points that count are your language, punctuation and grammar techniques e.g. if you added semi colons and stuff. They also assess how well you understood the book + if you answered the question correctly, like some people go off in the wrong direction so if you understood and answered it well then you're on your way to getting an excellent grade.
Hope your result's better than your expectations :smile:
I used alternative interceptions(kinda perceptive) , specific words, relevant quotes, heavy analysis and liked to context and the effect on reader for both questions. Do you think I could get an A?
And I forgot, I commented on language and structure
no we were genuinely told not to write about the effect on the reader but speak about what the author does so instead of saying "the reader has been made to feel sympathetic to so and so at this moment" you write something like "through this situation, Austen has evoked sympathy for this character" if you get me?
Original post by ronit.prais
no we were genuinely told not to write about the effect on the reader but speak about what the author does so instead of saying "the reader has been made to feel sympathetic to so and so at this moment" you write something like "through this situation, Austen has evoked sympathy for this character" if you get me?

Yeah yeah, that's what i basically meant, it's what I wrote too so I hope it's a good sign :biggrin:

Well, I think this is my last reply on this thread, it's been nice sharing info with u guys, good luck with lit. and all your other grades <3

(Do you reckon we can change the thread title to english lang edexcel igcse so we can still share ideas and stuff?)
I'm actually so scared for English Language - I always muck it up! I'd be happy with an A tbh
sure, how do you change it lol ?
i still have another lit exam left, dreading it hahah
Original post by MoriartyLives
I used alternative interceptions(kinda perceptive) , specific words, relevant quotes, heavy analysis and liked to context and the effect on reader for both questions. Do you think I could get an A?

I feel like a psychic lol, telling people what their future holds :')

If you really did what you're saying then an A/A* is on its way to you, but i hope by heavy analysis, you mean keeping it strictly related to context, not going off in other directions.
you basically described the "highest mark band" that tells you what a student has to do to get the highest marks.

Don't take this the wrong way but please keep your expectations low, its the best feeling in the world if you get higher than you expect, even though I'm fairly certain you've done great :smile:
Idk how to change the thread title, let's just talk about lang anyways, when's your half term break? I start this saturday, i have business and physics tomorrow though, but I can start talking again after that...
Idk how to change the thread title, let's just talk about lang anyways, when's your half term break? I start this saturday, i have business and physics tomorrow though, but I can start talking again after that...

Same! I just had a 3hr geography paper and now business early morning with physics in the afternoon, probably the worst day of my life :-)

And idk where to even start for business, its one of my weakest subjects like I understand most stuff but I guess i don't know how to answer questions correctly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a physics and biology clash tomorrow afternoon!
I have a physics and biology clash tomorrow afternoon!

How do you have a clash ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He's probably on different boards, maybe taking an A level and a GCSE,

I've got same as you tomorrw
Unlucky, you needed lot's of exam practice, I'm the opposite, don't know jack ****, but I can answer the question properly.

This helped me a lot.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxtqPBduz-cVXM5WmN6ZlBjWnc/view?usp=sharing
alright thankyou!

Are you good with the longer A04 questions ?

Unlucky, you needed lot's of exam practice, I'm the opposite, don't know jack ****, but I can answer the question properly.

This helped me a lot.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwxtqPBduz-cVXM5WmN6ZlBjWnc/view?usp=sharing
Like th e10 markers?
I generally score 7 or 8, the trick is to put 4 adv and one disadv for your selected option, then 4 disadv and 1 adv for the rejected option. add a closing statement and you're guaranteed at least 7 or 8 marks.
Original post by Strangerdanger
How do you have a clash ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My physics exam is edexcel igcse and my biology is OCR gateway B so we have to take them one after another without a break :frown:
He's probably on different boards, maybe taking an A level and a GCSE,

I've got same as you tomorrw

*she
My physics exam is edexcel igcse and my biology is OCR gateway B so we have to take them one after another without a break :frown:

OH ugh that sucks :/
Good luck though!!

Btw wouldnt that be a little too much writing in a row, like do you have no gap at all ? Not even in isolation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Strangerdanger
OH ugh that sucks :/
Good luck though!!

Btw wouldnt that be a little too much writing in a row, like do you have no gap at all ? Not even in isolation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We will probably be asked if we need the toilet or anything between exams but we can't have a proper break because firstly it's my whole year taking both exams so they'd have to put us all in isolation somewhere which is quite difficult and secondly, they'll wanna get the exams over as quick as possible or we won't finish until really late! Thanks but I think I'll need a miracle not luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending