The Student Room Group

Economics Unit 2 Edexcel - Managing the UK economy Tuesday 19th May 2015 (PM)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jimbo1234567890
yh i know but not the big questions and it was with as i emailed a teacher who confirmed

But are between/with almost the same thing? Could one answer almost pass for another?
Original post by Ladysparkzx
Can someone reply??

I mentioned monetary policy and evaluated saying that interest rates could impact the investment of firms etc making supply side ineffective.....actually i don't think i wrote it like that but i should've!

you won't get marked down for other policies if you related it to some extent to supply side
Original post by prepdream
This discussion seems endless haha.
However, I think that with or between does not make a huge different though, doesn't it?
And yeah, I have seen the question being repeated in economics. The housing one today was actually similar to one past paper I don't remember, and the housing one in Unit 1 is similar with one in the past paper as well so...

Original post by jeevanr21
But are between/with almost the same thing? Could one answer almost pass for another?

Yeah haha.
I think to be honest, they are very similar and students MAY be given the benefit of the doubt.
However, the question was 100%
''To what extent do demand-side policies lead to conflicts between macroeconomic objectives'' (30 marks)
- Confirmed by my Economics teacher and all my mates haha.
Original post by badaman
Yeah haha.
I think to be honest, they are very similar and students MAY be given the benefit of the doubt.
''To what extent do demand-side policies lead to conflicts between macroeconomic objectives'' (30 marks)

You gave me a relief. 1 rep haha :tongue:
Yeah they are pretty similar, I don't think it hugely matters anyway. Or if so, not that much.
Original post by mrdsg10
anyone have an answer for the 6 marker on question 2? stumped me

wtf was that question, seriously Edexcel had a bad day at the office to ask that, I just made up some bs answer and defined investment/took data from figure 1 to assure a few marks.
Original post by badaman
Yeah haha.

YESS bro, I knew I wasn't seeing things! Fam, you know I re-read the question several times too to make sure
Original post by AJC1997
wtf was that question, seriously Edexcel had a bad day at the office to ask that, I just made up some bs answer and defined investment/took data from figure 1 to assure a few marks.

hoping for 2 marks at least for defining business investment, hadn't a clue what they were asking for.
Original post by Leking9
YESS bro, I knew I wasn't seeing things! Fam, you know I re-read the question several times too to make sure

You gave me a relief. 1 rep haha :tongue:
Yeah they are pretty similar, I don't think it hugely matters anyway. Or if so, not that much.

Happy Happy Days!
it was with not between
You wouldn't lose marks for only talking about expansionary monetary and then briefly mentioning contractionary fiscal would you?
I would like to clarify that was the Q2 thirty marker about increasing real output via supply side policies ? So productivity want the main focus but could have been mentioned ?
Reply 751
it was with not between

I swear to god I am going mental; was it with or between? This debate seems to be endless....

Also am I the only one who who sees that most people took question2...
Original post by Jemy
I swear to god I am going mental; was it with or between? This debate seems to be endless....

Also am I the only one who who sees that most people took question2...

Wait what is this debate about? What's the q

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by falloutboyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

question 1 the 30 marker, half are saying it said with and half are saying it said between
Reply 754
Original post by falloutboyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is about the 30 marker on question 1; some argue confidently that the question was to what extent do demand side policies conflict with macroeconomic objectives while others say also confidently that it was to what extent demand side policies caused conflicts between marcoeconomic objectives.

I already gave up on that it was with, but seeing people coming on here saying that it was with, gives me false hope....
Reply 755
question 1 the 30 marker, half are saying it said with and half are saying it said between

Sorry about the double post.

Man I went with 'with' but I lost my cool in the end of the exam when I realized right at the end that it said between and the first instinct I had was to go on here to check if it truly said between. So my nerves were really a wreck by the end, or I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news and it was between.
Original post by Jemy
It is about the 30 marker on question 1; some argue confidently that the question was to what extent do demand side policies conflict with macroeconomic objectives while others say also confidently that it was to what extent demand side policies caused conflicts between marcoeconomic objectives.

I already gave up on that it was with, but seeing people coming on here saying that it was with, gives me false hope....

But actually, I think the way to tackle the question is more or less similar.
Just ask your teacher again to make sure.
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
I would like to clarify that was the Q2 thirty marker about increasing real output via supply side policies ? So productivity want the main focus but could have been mentioned ?

yes it was 'evaluate the use of supply side policies to increase the level of real output'

productivity can be mentioned.

My three points were : 1. increase in government expenditure on healthcare and training schemes 2. decrease in corporation and income tax 3. privatisation and deregulation
Reply 758
But actually, I think the way to tackle the question is more or less similar.
Just ask your teacher again to make sure.

I must disagree though on that sadly.

If it was 'with' you merely state what demand side policies do and then assess the macroeconomic objectives which it harms such as inflation and then evaluate the extent.

However, with between you also state what demand side policies do, but then you for example talk about how inflation harms the current account for example.

This is the foundamental core difference which will cost one side on this and I think it is me a **** loads of marks.

Please tell me you disagree me if you see it a other way...
In my 30 marker Q1, I said why my policy would increase AD and how it would conflict with another objective, but I didn't say why it may not conflict with the objective. Do I get capped at like 18/30?????

Quick Reply

Latest