The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by t.thompson22
Focus more on the "wordy" topics as your given the equations so you just need to plug the numbers into the formula which you should be able to do anyway!

Emphasise topics like mains electricity, radiation, nuclear fusion and fission, life cycle of stars and static electricity. Etc

I can give you a hand with some topics if it helps, it's helps me aswell! :biggrin:

Hi would you be able to explain how to answer a 6 marker on the life cycle of stars? If you could I'd be grateful forever haha :biggrin:
Original post by ia33
Quick explanation on how a transformer creates a current in the secondary coil if anyone's stuck:

The alternating current creates a changing magnetic field in the iron core causing a potential difference to be induced in the secondary coil

Note: No electricity flows through the iron core, it's just that it becomes magentised

Can i use that answer for all transformer questions ?
Original post by ia33
Does anyone know how to write a good answer to a forces question? The mark schemes always seem to change their mind on what they want, e.g. mentioning work done or not

Example question?

Just mention work is done just in case, it depends on the context of question
Reply 323
Original post by t.thompson22
Focus more on the "wordy" topics as your given the equations so you just need to plug the numbers into the formula which you should be able to do anyway!

Emphasise topics like mains electricity, radiation, nuclear fusion and fission, life cycle of stars and static electricity. Etc

I can give you a hand with some topics if it helps, it's helps me aswell! :biggrin:

I'm awful at wording the 'wordy' topics, I just can't seem to get what they're after, mainly the ones to do with forces, do you know what specifically to put that would usually get you the marks? Like a general structure to stick to for these kind of questions?
Original post by science_geeks
thats exactly how I started off! But the mark scheme says the answer is 86400? I have no idea how they go that'!

The question say MAXMUM therefore you have to use 3A instead of 1.5A because you always choose the bigger rating.
Reply 325
Original post by MrTechGamer
Can i use that answer for all transformer questions ?

I believe so, if they're asking for how a p.d is induced in the secondary coil from the primary, which seems to come up quite a bit!
Reply 326
Original post by physicsamor
Example question?

Just mention work is done just in case, it depends on the context of question

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PH2HP-QP-JUN13.PDF

The first question on this really got me, how were we meant to know it was the water acting on the propeller? Just doesn't make sense to me haha
hey guys, I'm finding the 'free science lessons' videos on youtube a brilliant resource for P2 ! great for just going over points! Good luck guys !
Original post by twilightniamh
if i got an A* in p1 a low B in p2 an A in p3 and a high B in coursework (1 off an A, 25% of final grade) what would my overall grade be??

probably a b because of the low b
Original post by anya584
hey guys, I'm finding the 'free science lessons' videos on youtube a brilliant resource for P2 ! great for just going over points! Good luck guys !

Hahahahaha yhats what i used , he will eventually take the mygcsescience guy down
So... This is just what I would write for a 6 marker on stars as I'm predicting it'll come up, this is for P2! :smile:

(Btw guys, "proto" just means before, so this is like the setting up of a star)
A protostar is the first form of the stars life cycle. It starts from dust and gas and a gravity force pulls these into a compact space so they spiral in together to form a protostar. This gravitational energy is converted into heat energy so the temperature rises... When the temperature is high enough, the main sequence star will undergo nuclear fusion , in which hydrogen nuclei will form into helium nuclei. The radiation produced from this acts as an outward force to balance with the gravitational force. After millions of years the hydrogen will run out, and nuclear fusion will begin to act on heavier elements such as iron... From here, the main sequence star begins to swell up into a red giant if it's small enough. This red giant then becomes unstable, ejecting a planetry nebula of dust and gas, which can be formed into new stars elsewhere in space. This then leaves behind a hot white dwarf which cools to a black dwarf and disappears eventually.
However, if the main sequence star was big enough, it'll become a red super giant, but this time it'll start to glow brightly again and they undergo more fusion and expand and contract several times forming heavy elements to be used for more planets and stars, this is the explosion that causes their supernova, and from here the exploding supernova leaves a dense neutron star. Although if the star was big enough it will become a black hole.

VERRYYY WORDY I KNOWWW! That'll get like 10 marks though so pick and choose what you wan't if it's the 6 mark and good luck! :smile:
Original post by ia33
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PH2HP-QP-JUN13.PDF

The first question on this really got me, how were we meant to know it was the water acting on the propeller? Just doesn't make sense to me haha
Ohh right, well the boat needs to accelerate so it needs a larger force to overcome the resistive force, in this case there is air resistance pushing the boat in the backwards direction. Therefore the water acting on the propeller provides the large amount force (the forward force) to push the boat in a forward direction.

I refer to work in done when there is work being done by friction between two colliding object so decrease in KE and increase in temp
Guys i think we should go through the CGP revision guide together on this chat.This might sound weird but if your hear and trying to revise then you probaly are stuck on all the Motor effect stuff etc. Shall we just start with page 74 of the CGP guide and sorta talk about it and tell each other facts as we go along. If anyone wants to join in this thing im talkin about then just send a reply on the post !

Good idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 333
Original post by physicsamor
Ohh right, well the boat needs to accelerate so it needs a larger force to overcome the resistive force, in this case there is air resistance pushing the boat in the backwards direction. Therefore the water acting on the propeller provides the large amount force (the forward force) to push the boat in a forward direction.

I refer to work in done when there is work being done by friction between two colliding object so decrease in KE and increase in temp

Thanks, is that the only situation you would refer to work being done?
Original post by turquoisecat

Shall we start with 6 mark motor effect questions ?
Reply 335
Original post by turquoisecat

yahhhh
Reply 336
Shall we start with 6 mark motor effect questions ?

yea i dont understand the motor effect
Original post by shannon060399
But then how are you meant to label the element if the alpha and beta part comes up and you have to change the element but taking away and adding

Posted from TSR Mobile

They will tell you everything you need to know, like the atomic number and mass number of the original element. You wont be expected to know what the new element (after decay takes place) is.
Guys i think we should go through the CGP revision guide together on this chat.This might sound weird but if your hear and trying to revise then you probaly are stuck on all the Motor effect stuff etc. Shall we just start with page 74 of the CGP guide and sorta talk about it and tell each other facts as we go along. If anyone wants to join in this thing im talkin about then just send a reply on the post !

I'll join in
Original post by ia33
Thanks, is that the only situation you would refer to work being done?

I can only think of that XD maybe ask someone else just to check

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending