The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rachelw785
I am struggling with parts of C2, especially with the differentiation parts and finding the maximum and minimum points etc., can anyone tell me how they remember how to do this? I have no idea :confused:

To Differentiate: multiplying the coefficient of x by the power, and then the power minus one.
To find the max and minimum points; make the gradient (the first differentiation or dy/dx) equal 0. Use this to find x

Hope this helps, sorry if its unclear..
Original post by Olon
Gaaaahhh, i feel like i'm being ignored now. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. I'm starting to PANIC

what the query
Just some formulas which are not on the formula sheet & the proof of the first n terms in a geometric sequence just in case anyone needs it.
i dont know how i got a D last year but right now im feeling so confident. does anyone have any other question for this paper i can do since i went through all the past papers?
When can you use ncr on calculator and when do u have to use n! /r! (n-r)!
Are there any exam questions, where you have to change the log bases?
Someone answer this question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alevel2015.

Use the second formula for binomials in the formula book, you use it again at A2 and it's a lot easier to use imo.
Original post by leoben49
Just some formulas which are not on the formula sheet & the proof of the first n terms in a geometric sequence just in case anyone needs it.

Can you print screen please, my pc doesn't seem to read the size of the file :/
Reply 1230
Original post by tevagx51
whats up olon ill help you

Tevaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagxhttps://c4a3f001dcd45afe69d0ceec83003f9fbc283b2c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYSGtmV3dzVVVvNTg/June%202009%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdfFor Q6) whenever they ask you if it's a diameter do you use that formula?And can you help me with: 6c, q8b and 9a

Thanks
Original post by Dahir123
Someone answer this question

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is this a genuine question? its in degrees and the range is in radians? what?
Untitled.png

Someone please help me with this question because I am completely unable to understand how to simplify :frown:
Reply 1234
Original post by Alevel2015.

They both do the exact same thing, nCr is just a quick calculator shortcut of writing out that formula
Original post by usmanzubair
Untitled.png

Someone please help me with this question because I am completely unable to understand how to simplify :frown:

Multiply it out by the denominator, and then bring it to the left hand side making it equal to zero :smile: And then factorise I think
Untitled.png

Multiply both sides by (4sin(2*theta) - 1) and you've got something you can factorise.
Original post by the north
i dont know how i got a D last year but right now im feeling so confident. does anyone have any other question for this paper i can do since i went through all the past papers?

The question attached
Untitled.png

-Multiply both sides by 4sin2 theta -1

-Subtract the sin2theta from the other side giving you 3sin2theta -1=0

- Move the 1 to the other side to give 3sin2theta =1

- Divide by 3 to give sin2theta = 1/3

- Sin inverse giving 2theta =sin-1 (1/3)

- Get your 2 results, and then divide by two, giving you theta, take into consideration the range
Original post by Olon
If you could help me with these
https://c4a3f001dcd45afe69d0ceec83003f9fbc283b2c.googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqBksUHNYSGtmV3dzVVVvNTg/June%202009%20QP%20-%20C2%20Edexcel.pdfFor Q6) whenever they ask you if it's a diameter do you use that formula?And can you help me with: 6c, q8b and 9a

Which formula?
For 6 a centre is (3, -2) and radius is 5
For 6 b you just work out the distance between P and Q by drawing (or imagining) a right angled triangle and using Pythagoras and that should be the diameter. Essentially just sqrt((- 5 - 1) ^ 2 + (7 - - 1)^2) should equal 5*2.
For 6 c if PRQ is 90 deg then R lies on the circle. You might like to draw this out if you can't see this straight away. As R is on y axis, bung x = 0 into the first equation in part a and solve.
For 8 b you can work out the constant logs on top of the equation. Then multiply everything by log2(x) and you get (log2(x))^2 = 9 and x = 2^3 and x = 2^-3
For 9a work out arc length using 2*pi*r*(angle/2pi) = r here and work out sector area using pi*r^2*(angle/2pi) = r^2/2 here and then add areas of surfaces up

Quick Reply

Latest