The Student Room Group

Integral of a function and its inverse - Real analysis

The following questing concerns a strictly increasing function f on [0,a] st f(0)=0

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 18.39.57.png

I think I've done the first part, the second I could do with some help please. I'm pretty sure there's a typo in the hint (first inequality on the final line).Thanks
Reply 1
Yea, pretty sure it's a typo as well. If it isn't the typo then the last inequality should be f1(β)αf(x)dxβ(αf1(β))\displaystyle \int^{\alpha}_{f^{-1}(\beta)} f(x) dx \geq \beta(\alpha - f^{-1}(\beta)) I believe.
Original post by alexmufc1995
The following questing concerns a strictly increasing function f on [0,a] st f(0)=0

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 18.39.57.png

I think I've done the first part, the second I could do with some help please. I'm pretty sure there's a typo in the hint (first inequality on the final line).Thanks

I guess they're inviting you to consider the integrals 0α+0f(α)+f(α)β\int_0^\alpha + \int_0^{f(\alpha)} + \int_{f(\alpha)}^\beta if I've read the inequalities properly.
Original post by atsruser
I guess they're inviting you to consider the integrals 0α+0f(α)+f(α)β\int_0^\alpha + \int_0^{f(\alpha)} + \int_{f(\alpha)}^\beta if I've read the inequalities properly.

I agree, but I still can't work out how to use the hint to get the required inequality
I agree, but I still can't work out how to use the hint to get the required inequality

Doesn't it follow trivially from part (a) + the inequality that they suggest?
Original post by atsruser
Doesn't it follow trivially from part (a) + the inequality that they suggest?

But I need to show the inequality they suggest? That's really what I don't understand how to do.

That is, I know how to complete the question once I've established the hint inequality holds.
But I need to show the inequality they suggest? That's really what I don't understand how to do.

That is, I know how to complete the question once I've established the hint inequality holds.

It's a bit late for this kind of stuff, but I think:

1. Show that 0f(a)f1(x)dxaf(a)\int_0^{f(a)} f^{-1}(x) dx \le af(a)
2. f(α)β=f(α)0+0β=0β0f(α)\int_{f(\alpha)}^\beta = \int_{f(\alpha)}^0 + \int_0^\beta = \int_0^\beta - \int_0^{f(\alpha)}

or something along those lines.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest