The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ia33
I'm awful at wording the 'wordy' topics, I just can't seem to get what they're after, mainly the ones to do with forces, do you know what specifically to put that would usually get you the marks? Like a general structure to stick to for these kind of questions?

Resultant Forces is a tough one to predict because it could be on ANYTHING, which is the beauty of science...:biggrin:

I'd say try to understand that there's always two forces acting on an object, in space being an exception.

Try to use images and understand what air resistance is and in what direction it acts in, the same for friction, gravity (weight) and driving force. Tomorrow, they could give us an image and get us to label the forces in play. I've seen it on past papers continuously. It's also advisable to learn about "reaction forces" too. I can tell you about that if you wish as well as the "Laws of Motion", again their vital that you understand and I don't mind helping you on that. Remember, F= M*A or A = F\M
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MadHannah23
Do we need to know about the discovery of the nucleus for P2?

It is not in the spec but it is in the text book....

And I mean like the plum pudding model and all that jazz

I think we need to know about the experiment and comparison of plum pudding to the nuclear model
Original post by MadHannah23
Do we need to know about the discovery of the nucleus for P2?

It is not in the spec but it is in the text book....

And I mean like the plum pudding model and all that jazz

It is in the spec about plum pudding and the experiment by rutherford etc?
How is every one feeling, ready for tomorrow? :smile:
Original post by saahil0987
It is in the spec about plum pudding and the experiment by rutherford etc?

Oh yeah thanks :-)
Just checked again now haha
Original post by isabellagrace
How is every one feeling, ready for tomorrow? :smile:

Nervous, but ready!
If it's as easy as chemistry was then I'll be happy. What are your predictions for tomorrow?
Original post by t.thompson22
So they could ask you two kinds of questions. The life cycle of a star BIGGER than the sun and the life cycle of a star the SAME size of the sun. I'll list the name classifications of each stage for you first, starting from when the star is born.

Star BIGGER than the Sun

1. Protostar
2. Main Sequence Star
3. Red Super Giant
4. Supernova
5. Neutron Star / Black Hole

Star the SAME size of the sun

1. Protostar
2. Main Sequence Star
3. Red Giant
4. White Dwarf ->> Black Dwarf

β€’ A Protostar is made up of clouds of dust and gas spiralled in together from the force of gravity. Then gravitational energy is converted to thermal energy to form a Main Sequence Star.

β€’ A main sequence star is currently the stage our own sun is in! It undergoes Nuclear FUSION to form helium. It's stable, meaning that the outward pressure balances with the force of gravity. It produces lots and lots of Hydrogen!

β€’ Eventually the hydrogen runs out and elements such as IRON are made by nuclear FUSION If it's a small star, it'll turn into a Red Giant but if it's a bit star then it'll turn into a Red Super Giant! It becomes red as the surface "cools."

β€’ If it's a Red Super Giant, it'll then explode into a Supernova. Again, using nuclear reactions to produce elements as heavy as Iron. It ejects these elements into the universe to form new planets and stars! That's how our earth was formed!

β€’ A White Dwarf is basically just a very dense core of dust and gas. This will eventually cool down to a Black Dwarf. This is the same for a Neutron Star, it's just a very dense core. And IF the Neutron Star is big enough, it'll form a Black Hole.

A lot to take in but you don't have to memorise it all for a 6 marker! It's just good to know the names of the stages and some key information behind each.

Hope this helps!

Literally exactly what I needed to know, THANK YOU SO MUCH :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by electrahearts
Literally exactly what I needed to know, THANK YOU SO MUCH :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Your very welcome! Anything else you need then let me know. Happy cramming :wink:
Pls someone teach me on electromagnetic induction I'll love you forever :frown:
What are you guys p3 predictions? As I'm doing some last minute cramming!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 370
Could anybody list the main points that I would need to know for transformers and convex/concave lenses please.
Original post by Lydia.B
Could anybody list the main points that I would need to know for transformers and convex/concave lenses please.

Please someone tell me if I am wrong

As far as I know, in a transformer, AC is supplied to the primary coil. This induces a magnetic field around the primary coil. This is transferred to the secondary coil by the iron core which strengthens the magnetic field. The secondary coil cuts through the induced magnetic field, inducing an alternating current and voltage in the secondary coil.

Switch mode transformers- use a higher frequency (above 200KHz) so can be made lighter and smaller. They are more energy effieicent, use less current and supply no load so are great for phone chargers.

Covex lens; converging lens (converges parallel rays of light)
In a ray diagram, one ray goes from the top of the object through the middle of the lens and another goes parallel to the axis, hits the lens and refracts through the pf.
It is used by the eye and used to correct long sightedness
Used by the camera
further than 2f= diminished, real, inverted image
at 2f= same size as the object, inverted, real image
between 2f and f= magnified, real inverted image
f= no image is formed as rays are parallel
closer than f= virtual, magnified image

Concave lens; diverging lens
In a ray diagram, one ray goes from top of the object through the middle of the lens and another goes parallel to the axis and then refracts upwards so that it is inline with the pf on the left side of the lens
It always prodcues a virtual image

hope that was helpful?
let me know if there is anything else
Guys i have finished my P3 revision ! , so any questions please ask , aso a big thank u for the gentlemen who provided me with those question papers as i had never seen them before !
Also ask P2 questions if you wish !
Original post by MrTechGamer
Guys i have finished my P3 revision ! , so any questions please ask , aso a big thank u for the gentlemen who provided me with those question papers as i had never seen them before !

Electromagnetic induction please!
Reply 375
Original post by MrTechGamer

Be sure to give me a rep and a follow
Original post by ladyrailly
Electromagnetic induction please!

Here we go :

1.) This is when you create a voltage across the ends of a conductor.
The posh way of saying created is Induced.

2.) This can be done 2 ways. One is by moving a conductor (e.g wire) in a magnetic field or you can move a magnet which is wrapped in coils
Reply 377
Original post by docilechic
Please someone tell me if I am wrong

As far as I know, in a transformer, AC is supplied to the primary coil. This induces a magnetic field around the primary coil. This is transferred to the secondary coil by the iron core which strengthens the magnetic field. The secondary coil cuts through the induced magnetic field, inducing an alternating current and voltage in the secondary coil.

Switch mode transformers- use a higher frequency (above 200KHz) so can be made lighter and smaller. They are more energy effieicent, use less current and supply no load so are great for phone chargers.

Covex lens; converging lens (converges parallel rays of light)
In a ray diagram, one ray goes from the top of the object through the middle of the lens and another goes parallel to the axis, hits the lens and refracts through the pf.
It is used by the eye and used to correct long sightedness
Used by the camera
further than 2f= diminished, real, inverted image
at 2f= same size as the object, inverted, real image
between 2f and f= magnified, real inverted image
f= no image is formed as rays are parallel
closer than f= virtual, magnified image

Concave lens; diverging lens
In a ray diagram, one ray goes from top of the object through the middle of the lens and another goes parallel to the axis and then refracts upwards so that it is inline with the pf on the left side of the lens
It always prodcues a virtual image

hope that was helpful?
let me know if there is anything else

Thank you for all your help, that is really useful !!! :biggrin:
Guys whoever did the p2 2014 paper for practice- what mark did you get?
Reply 379
What do we need to know about momentum? (Except conservation of momentum)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest