The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MrTechGamer
Here we go :

1.) This is when you create a voltage across the ends of a conductor.
The posh way of saying created is Induced.

2.) This can be done 2 ways. One is by moving a conductor (e.g wire) in a magnetic field or you can move a magnet which is wrapped in coils

Also bear in mind that if you swap the magnetic poles e.g N and S then the potential difference will be reversed. P.s I can guarantee that there will be a question on this
Reply 381
any predictions about p2 and p3 tomorrow? I think it will be similar to 2013
Original post by TheTruthTeller
Guys whoever did the p2 2014 paper for practice- what mark did you get?

Full marks, IMO the questions were really kind
Original post by Hxzel
What do we need to know about momentum? (Except conservation of momentum)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Momentum before = 0
Momentum of the different objects involved will have different directions e.g different angles .Total momentum after = 0.
Reply 384
Original post by MrTechGamer
Momentum before = 0
Momentum of the different objects involved will have different directions e.g different angles .Total momentum after = 0.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lydia.B
Thank you for all your help, that is really useful !!! :biggrin:

no problem, it actually helps me too so if there is anything else let me know :-)
Could anyone help me with circuits? What do we need to know? It's just so confusing, hate the topic. Even if I read over all the stuff in my book I just get stuck with the questions...Full on panicking here :frown:
Reply 387
Hi quick, can someone help me please, what do we need to know about the case study at the end of P3, does anyone think it will come up?
Original post by 11Jason11
Question 1. What is the unit of power (when relating to focal length)?

Dioptres
+ for a converging and - for a diverging lens
Guys whoever did the p2 2014 paper for practice- what mark did you get?

I managed 51/60. What about you?
Original post by maxjackson5
I managed 51/60. What about you?

Same, what grade are you predicted for physics?
Original post by SDas17
Hi quick, can someone help me please, what do we need to know about the case study at the end of P3, does anyone think it will come up?

It's unlikely but anyway it just sort of sums up the whole of p3 by linking it to the medical applications of physics
Can someone please explain regenerative braking please? P2
Same, what grade are you predicted for physics?

I only do double science and my predicted grade is an A. Hoping to ace tomorrow's physics exam to try and get an A* in additional science, what about you?
Original post by Conor1998
Full marks, IMO the questions were really kind

nice , are you predicted an a star?
Reply 395
Original post by electrahearts
Literally exactly what I needed to know, THANK YOU SO MUCH :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks a lot. Hydrogen isn't produced by the way😃
Original post by maxjackson5
I only do double science and my predicted grade is an A. Hoping to ace tomorrow's physics exam to try and get an A* in additional science, what about you?

Damn, I only got 47 in Physics. Got 57 in the Core though. Chem is by far my best, mid 50s usually, hoping for the same on results day
What could they ask about circuits - and please put answers for it aswell x
Original post by metrize
Damn, I only got 47 in Physics. Got 57 in the Core though. Chem is by far my best, mid 50s usually, hoping for the same on results day

I'm sure you'll get it! Good luck!
Reply 399
Original post by t.thompson22
So they could ask you two kinds of questions. The life cycle of a star BIGGER than the sun and the life cycle of a star the SAME size of the sun. I'll list the name classifications of each stage for you first, starting from when the star is born.

Star BIGGER than the Sun

1. Protostar
2. Main Sequence Star
3. Red Super Giant
4. Supernova
5. Neutron Star / Black Hole

Star the SAME size of the sun

1. Protostar
2. Main Sequence Star
3. Red Giant
4. White Dwarf ->> Black Dwarf

A Protostar is made up of clouds of dust and gas spiralled in together from the force of gravity. Then gravitational energy is converted to thermal energy to form a Main Sequence Star.

A main sequence star is currently the stage our own sun is in! It undergoes Nuclear FUSION to form helium. It's stable, meaning that the outward pressure balances with the force of gravity. It produces lots and lots of Hydrogen!

Eventually the hydrogen runs out and elements such as IRON are made by nuclear FUSION If it's a small star, it'll turn into a Red Giant but if it's a bit star then it'll turn into a Red Super Giant! It becomes red as the surface "cools."

If it's a Red Super Giant, it'll then explode into a Supernova. Again, using nuclear reactions to produce elements as heavy as Iron. It ejects these elements into the universe to form new planets and stars! That's how our earth was formed!

A White Dwarf is basically just a very dense core of dust and gas. This will eventually cool down to a Black Dwarf. This is the same for a Neutron Star, it's just a very dense core. And IF the Neutron Star is big enough, it'll form a Black Hole.

A lot to take in but you don't have to memorise it all for a 6 marker! It's just good to know the names of the stages and some key information behind each.

Hope this helps!

Elements heavier than iron are formed in a supernova not as heavy as iron thanks a lot by the way

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending