Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mutleybm1996

June 2011

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 341
Does arsey do s3?
Original post by DCMed96
Hell yeah, they are hard as f*ck

when you use pmcc, do you substitute the ranks into the equation, or substitute the actual values?????

Where do you access the IAL papers?
To clarify, if there's a tied rank, do you input the average rank into spearman's correlation or person's correlation?
Original post by tggfootymad
To clarify, if there's a tied rank, do you input the average rank into spearman's correlation or person's correlation?

pmcc, but i doubt they'll ask us, i quoted the syllabus a few posts back saying that they won't ask us, but might just ask what to do if it is tied rank (which they have once in a prev paper)

I want to ask the same question as well,.. do you carry out the pmcc test instead and use the original values or the ranks??
Original post by mmms95
pmcc, but i doubt they'll ask us, i quoted the syllabus a few posts back saying that they won't ask us, but might just ask what to do if it is tied rank (which they have once in a prev paper)

Exactly, they might ask us what to do. What do we say then?
can someone pls help me with june 2014 q7b, why is the critical region -2.3263 and not 2.3263?
thnx
Exactly, they might ask us what to do. What do we say then?

Think the 2012 one went something like

They are now tied ranks
Average the ranks and use *formula for PMCC*

Don't think it mentions whether or not you use the ranks or the data; I don't see what the point of first averaging the ranks would be if you were going to use the actual data though
Original post by jsoso
Does arsey do s3?

no but i can try to make one
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Think the 2012 one went something like

They are now tied ranks
Average the ranks and use *formula for PMCC*

Don't think it mentions whether or not you use the ranks or the data; I don't see what the point of first averaging the ranks would be if you were going to use the actual data though

indeed, there is no point of using tied ranks if we are not going to use the spearman rank. IN the textbook, they say it is fairly accurate to use spearman with one or two tied ranks because it is not going to make any difference. But since the mark scheme mentioned pmcc, I was slightly confused because is it implying that we should just use pmcc on the orginal set of data (Sxx, Sxy, Syy stuff) instead?

i hope it won't come out tomorrow, but i guess everyone is so stressed now..
Original post by Mina Makin
can someone pls help me with june 2014 q7b, why is the critical region -2.3263 and not 2.3263?
thnx

You are looking for a less than probability rather than a more than probability: we want to know how likely it is that x could be less than or equal to 999.54 when the mean is assumed to be 1000

Usually we deal with the latter, P(z > 2.3263) = 0.01, but P(z < -2.3263) = 0.01 also
For a one-tailed test you can usually discern the sign of the critical region by the sign of your test statistic
Does anyone know which year the paper was which had this tied rank question?
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
You are looking for a less than probability rather than a more than probability: we want to know how likely it is that x could be less than or equal to 999.54 when the mean is assumed to be 1000

Usually we deal with the latter, P(z > 2.3263) = 0.01, but P(z < -2.3263) = 0.01 also
For a one-tailed test you can usually discern the sign of the critical region by the sign of your test statistic

Thanks a lot! that makes sense
Original post by DCMed96
indeed, there is no point of using tied ranks if we are not going to use the spearman rank. IN the textbook, they say it is fairly accurate to use spearman with one or two tied ranks because it is not going to make any difference. But since the mark scheme mentioned pmcc, I was slightly confused because is it implying that we should just use pmcc on the orginal set of data (Sxx, Sxy, Syy stuff) instead?

i hope it won't come out tomorrow, but i guess everyone is so stressed now..

I'm just planning on regurgitating that 2012 answer; if it's there, considering numerical questions won't occur, it can only really be 2 or 3 marks. Also the same answer, however senseless it seems, as they gave back then should surely still suffice
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432071382.745194.jpg

Do we need to know this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432071382.745194.jpg

Do we need to know this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They give you the first formula on the top left hand side and you use that to reach the formula at the end of the page.
Original post by nayilgervinho
They give you the first formula on the top left hand side and you use that to reach the formula at the end of the page.

So we need to know the proof?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So we need to know the proof?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just the formula that s2 = sum of x2 - n lots of the mean squared over (n-1)
Original post by nayilgervinho
Just the formula that s2 = sum of x2 - n lots of the mean squared over (n-1)

Just the formula?
No proof?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending