The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by coefficient
It's really up to you. Generally we use n-1 because we start with a, and the 2nd term has ar, third term ar^2.
Sometimes with years (often if it starts in year 2000) it's easier to start on year 0 (and use ar), even if it's more confusing. If you're not sure, stick with ar^(n-1)

Why is it easier to use ar^n for years?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for all the replies!
I'm not sure how to quote many at a time on a phone but thank you!
Much appreciated :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Medicjug
Why is it easier to use ar^n for years?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because sometimes if we start in year 2000, it's easier to call that year 0 than year 1. Really it's just people who are more confident saving time. There's no real benefit of it, it's just being fancy.
Original post by TeeEm
I only have four students on this paper tomorrow and they are all strong.

Therefore, I hope the paper is disgusting!

:colonhash:
Original post by JusttAnotherGuy
Where's the sector on your drawing? But confused.

sector is the semicircle. it's a sector of angle Pi radians. A half circle.
Original post by johnhick98
i defo will be

do you want to help eachother seeing as we'll both still be up? I know it won't go bad but still scared
Original post by havok121
Could someone please explain what they did here?

Attachment not found

In the first line they are splitting up that power to get 1^ x / 3^x and 1^x = 1 so it's just 1/3^x. They then multiply both sides by 3^x.
This gives 1 = 2 * (3^x) * (3*x)
We then divide by two to get (3^x)^2 = 1/2
we then take log of both sides and bring down the power 2x to get 2xlog(3)=log(1/2).
We then divide by log3 to get 2x = log(1/2) / log(3) and then divide by 2 to get the final answer
sector is the semicircle. it's a sector of angle Pi radians. A half circle.

Can't you just to PI(r^2)/2 instead or do you have to use sector equation?
Does anyone know if we can use the sum for geometric series for for when common ration is more than one
Because sometimes if we start in year 2000, it's easier to call that year 0 than year 1. Really it's just people who are more confident saving time. There's no real benefit of it, it's just being fancy.

So is year 0 the 0 th term? And if you use ar^n-1 you can adjust the years so say you get n=3 and your first year is 2003 it will be 2005 not 2006 is it to avoid this confusion?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sabaarshadali
Does anyone know if we can use the sum for geometric series for for when common ration is more than one

Yes. In fact, it often is.

You can use it for any value of r

The sum to infinity only works when -1<r<1

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

yeah you just 1-r, and swap them so its r-1. when r>1
Original post by jshep000

why wouldn't it work if you do it the original way?

It doesn't actually matter. You can use either form as long as you're consistent. You can even rearrange them to make the other (such as by multiplying the numerator and denominator by -1).

To be clear a(r^n - 1)/(r - 1)

It's not essential than you do it but it is a good idea as it does avoid a lot of negative numbers in your calculations when solving an inequality for finding the least value of n where Sn exceeds a certain value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by frozo123
why wouldn't it work if you do it the original way?

It still works, it just gives you a negative value. Our teacher taught it to us, that if r>1 than we had to swap it and do r-1.
It still works, it just gives you a negative value. Our teacher taught it to us, that if r>1 than we had to swap it and do r-1.

hm okay
Idk man hopefully should be an alright paper
Original post by Brony69
do you want to help eachother seeing as we'll both still be up? I know it won't go bad but still scared

yeah sure that seems like a good idea

you could privately message me, it will be more convenient
Original post by frozo123
hm okay
Idk man hopefully should be an alright paper

Hopefully, will be bless if we don't get one of those crappy weird questions at the end haha.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending