The Student Room Group

Riddle

Scroll to see replies

oopsie, someone's already posted my riddle grrr
One evening, John Watson returns home at 221B Baker Street only to find his friend, Sherlock Holmes, missing. Everything in the room is scattered, the windows are wide open, and Holmes' pipe is lying unattended on the table. However, Watson finds something that appears to be hurriedly scribbled on the table, besides the pipe. It goes like this, "Nb wvzi Dzghlm, blf droo mlg urmw nv dsvm blf ivgfim. R zn luu gl Mlidllw, gl hloev z ivnzipzyov xzhv. Gzpv xziv, HS." Help Watson decode the message.
Original post by unknowntsr
One evening, John Watson returns home at 221B Baker Street only to find his friend, Sherlock Holmes, missing. Everything in the room is scattered, the windows are wide open, and Holmes' pipe is lying unattended on the table. However, Watson finds something that appears to be hurriedly scribbled on the table, besides the pipe. It goes like this, "Nb wvzi Dzghlm, blf droo mlg urmw nv dsvm blf ivgfim. R zn luu gl Mlidllw, gl hloev z ivnzipzyov xzhv. Gzpv xziv, HS." Help Watson decode the message.

"I am off to norwood, to solve a remarkable case. take care, SH"
This took me forever to solve LOL
At first I thought the message was mirrored seeing HS being SH, but the rest didn't make sense, so I tried the reverse alphabet :biggrin:

I must stop this procrastination....
Original post by Marshall Taylor
There is a super rich family. Who has a mail man, a maid , a butler and a gardener. The wife is murdered on Sunday. Who killed the wife?

Original post by kirstybecs
mail man, no post on sundays?

CORRECT! Now you get to post one

Is is just me, or does this totally not make sense?

So there is no post on Sundays. Why does that make the mail man the murderer? Maybe he stayed in his lodge minding his own business while the gardener cut of her head with a chainsaw in between tending the roses.
Original post by undine_monty
I've literally been thinking that. I've only been able to guess the ice block one but that's only because I've heard it before :tongue:

Haha whats wrong with us :curious:
Original post by chazwomaq
Is is just me, or does this totally not make sense?

So there is no post on Sundays. Why does that make the mail man the murderer? Maybe he stayed in his lodge minding his own business while the gardener cut of her head with a chainsaw in between tending the roses.

Because mail men don't live there and they're always evil lol
Because mail men don't live there and they're always evil lol

Agree with chaz. Do murderers only kill people on their day off lol?
Original post by Folion
Agree with chaz. Do murderers only kill people on their day off lol?

Its a fun hobby for when I don't feel like watching netflix
Original post by boods8897
Nope to all of those. I thought you were gonna have it when I read your very first bit.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh in that case is it Mark because ?="question mark", so
? Crimson = (question) Mark Crimson?
Original post by Bustamove
how much time do they get? is the number of different coloured hats equal?(e.g. 10 blue, 10 red)
when you say communication is forbidden, is it only speaking or all forms of communication? they can still communicate without being caught i guess?

I don't know if it's a guarantee, but they can pair up into twos. Once given the hat, they can use hand signals to signal to their partner whether their hat colour is red or blue.

e.g. signalling to their partner thumbs up for blue, thumbs down for red

but if they want to avoid being caught communication, they can use their eyes I guess?
e.g. close your eyes for 3 seconds then one blink for blue, 2 blink for red...

I have a feeling I may have over thought it.. XD

Any attempt at 'sneaky' communication is not allowed. Also if there were 10 of each the problem is easy - if I see 10 red hats amongst the other 19 prisoners then I know mine is blue and if I see 9 then I know mine is red. So you can't assume this. The hats might be all red, or all blue, or some of each - you don't know.

To help clarify things, here is an alternative version of the scenario, which is equivalent to the problem I meant to describe:
1) The prisoners get told all the information in this question and meet to decide on a strategy
2) The following day, the warden sends each prisoner to his cell where he is completely isolated from everyone else. He then assigns - in his head - either 'red' or 'blue' to each prisoner.
3) He goes to prisoner 1, and tells him the colour of every individual prisoner apart from himself. (The other prisoners cannot hear this conversation.)
4) He repeats step 3 with the other 19 prisoners.
5) He then goes to prisoner 1, and privately asks him what colour he thinks he is. The other prisoners do not get to hear his guess, and the warden does not say whether his guess is correct.
6) Repeat step 5 for everyone else.
7) They win if the total number of correct guesses is at least 10
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by theOldBean
Any attempt at 'sneaky' communication is not allowed. Also if there were 10 of each the problem is easy - if I see 10 red hats amongst the other 19 prisoners then I know mine is blue and if I see 9 then I know mine is red. So you can't assume this. The hats might be all red, or all blue, or some of each - you don't know.

To help clarify things, here is an alternative version of the scenario, which is equivalent to the problem I meant to describe:
1) The prisoners get told all the information in this question and meet to decide on a strategy
2) The following day, the warden sends each prisoner to his cell where he is completely isolated from everyone else. He then assigns - in his head - either 'red' or 'blue' to each prisoner.
3) He goes to prisoner 1, and tells him the colour of every individual prisoner apart from himself. (The other prisoners cannot hear this conversation.)
4) He repeats step 3 with the other 19 prisoners.
5) He then goes to prisoner 1, and privately asks him what colour he thinks he is. The other prisoners do not get to hear his guess, and the warden does not say whether his guess is correct.
6) Repeat step 5 for everyone else.
7) They win if the total number of correct guesses is at least 10

I've given this some thought...as the number of blue hats may not be equal to the number of red hats... there may be 1 red hat and 19 blue...

I can't figure it out..... I guess when the warden asks, say the colour is purple? XD that way, it's blue and red! :biggrin:
I've given this some thought...as the number of blue hats may not be equal to the number of red hats... there may be 1 red hat and 19 blue...

I can't figure it out..... I guess when the warden asks, say the colour is purple? XD that way, it's blue and red! :biggrin:

The warden says, "You all guessed purple, so you are all both correct and incorrect. Therefore you shall all be released, but you shall be executed first." :jitsu:

Hint:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
The warden says, "You all guessed purple, so you are all both correct and incorrect. Therefore you shall all be released, but you shall be executed first." :tongue:

Hint:

Spoiler

is the answer actually purple? LOL
is the answer actually purple? LOL

No - there is a genuinely clever solution which doesn't involve cheating. (See the hint in my previous post.)
Original post by Boo-Urns
Its a fun hobby for when I don't feel like watching netflix

Just killing time eh? :biggrin:
Oh in that case is it Mark because ?="question mark", so
? Crimson = (question) Mark Crimson?

Yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay.

What have I got in my pocket?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne

What have I got in my pocket?

That is not a riddle, my preciousss.
Reply 318
This is an easy one:

what is as big as you but does not weigh anything?
Original post by huzza
This is an easy one:

what is as big as you but does not weigh anything?

Your shadow, but it isn't true for most of the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending