The Student Room Group

Official Edexcel S3 thread Wednesday 20 May 2015 Morning [6691]

Scroll to see replies

A bit tricky, but generally I was happy when I walked out of the room.

Was it necessary for the weight loss distribution to be normal? I answered no.
Original post by simonli2575

no since clt applies
Original post by xyzmaster
Part c used two independent samples. This part used only one sample that's why the wanted us to prove it

Part D wants you to use U bar as mean, so that P(U1 > Ubar + S.D) = P(U1 > mean + SD), then do the normal distribution and you get P(z>1) as the means and S.Ds cancel out each other, I believe. I'd think doing that is worth 6 marks.
Original post by simonli2575

No we need not assume it is normal because CLT does it for us :smile:
way too bitchy this paper.... How the tell are we suppose to know all this ****...
Edexcel is the best at "changing lives"...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by llIllIllIllI
Part D wants you to use U bar as mean, so that P(U1 > Ubar + S.D) = P(U1 > mean + SD), then do the normal distribution and you get P(z>1) as the means and S.Ds cancel out each other, I believe. I'd think doing that is worth 6 marks.

Yessss did the same
Original post by c3l6founder
no since clt applies

Original post by Navo D.
No we need not assume it is normal because CLT does it for us :smile:

Lol my friends told me it was necessary because we needed to know it was normal before applying the CLT.:biggrin:
Original post by Navo D.
Yessss did the same

and then you get 0.159 to 3 d.p, which also makes sense
Pretty sure

This is wrong unfortunately. They wouldn't give you 6 marks to repeat an answer. I went for P(z>sqrt(5)) = 0.0125 = 0.013 to 3dp... I'm most likely wrong but i thought I'd give it a shot. Its definitely NOT 0.181 to 3dp.
The question about whether or not you have to assume normal distributions what did people put for 2 marks? I put no you don't have to assume normal as we only need the mean of the sample to be normal using CLT
Original post by llIllIllIllI
and then you get 0.159 to 3 d.p, which also makes sense

1587 iirc yeah, hopefully we're both right. What'd you write for the last part of the stratified sampling question?
Original post by Navo D.
Yessss did the same

Isn't variance of ubar sigma^2/n n being 5 in this case
Original post by MentalMath
The question about whether or not you have to assume normal distributions what did people put for 2 marks? I put no you don't have to assume normal as we only need the mean of the sample to be normal using CLT

that's what I put, made it a bit longer to seemingly worth 2 marks...
So. Horribly. Wrong.
Isn't variance of ubar sigma^2/n n being 5 in this case

Doesn't that give you the same ans? Since Ubar is a statistic of the same distribution it should just be Ubar and not have variance, or at least thats what I did
That one puzzled me too, I put no because it didn't ask for mean weight which would be CLT.
Original post by Navo D.
1587 iirc yeah, hopefully we're both right. What'd you write for the last part of the stratified sampling question?

I forgot what's it about already:colondollar:
Horrible paper, someone please do the unofficial!!!
Original post by Navo D.
Doesn't that give you the same ans? Since Ubar is a statistic of the same distribution it should just be Ubar and not have variance, or at least thats what I did

It gives p to be 0.181 and z value 0.91. Well we have proved have tricky this paper was that no one seems to be on agreement with this specific question
Original post by Navo D.

I don't think the distribution for Ubar is required at all for that one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending