The Student Room Group

AQA Physics GCSE P2 & P3 [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Scroll to see replies

Ok, so don't know if it helps anyone here but it helps me, so telling each other about topics? 😊
Original post by Pra99
I bet my house that the 6 marker in p2 will be about stars

it could be pra99 but aqa play lots of tricks to trip us up.... u never wat card there gonna play next...
Original post by Pra99
I bet my house that the 6 marker in p2 will be about stars

if you aint right i want your house
can someone explain the whole star process please
Reply 564
we're all screwed lmao goodbye goodnight au revoir
Reply 565
I think the Questions will be on physics hopefully?
I'm just going to double check on the units and circuit symbols :smile:
Good luck once again, I'm not going to return to this thread, once the exam is over because I don't wanna read the discussion of answers XD
Good luck to you too :smile:
Original post by Adwad

Nah, this is AQA they'll throw in those dreaded suggest questions
Reply 569
Original post by physicsamor
Nah, this is AQA they'll throw in those dreaded suggest questions

BANTER
Original post by liv1111
can someone explain the whole star process please

So first dust and gas spiral together due to gravity forming a protostar. Then the kinetic energy of this is turned into heat energy and nuclear fusion begins to take place (hydrogen atoms fuse to make helium). This has now formed a star and it's called a main sequence star, it remains a main sequence star for millions of years as it''s stable. This is because the outward pressure from the fusion balances the inward force of gravity. Eventually though the hydrogen will begin to run out and then heavier elements such as iron are formed through nuclear fusion of helium. After this what happens to the star depends on it's size:

FOR STARS THE SAME SIZE AS OUR SUN:
- They swell and cool to turn into a red giant.
- This will become unstable and it will eject it's outer layer of dust and gas as a planetary nebula
- When it does this it leaves behind a hot, dense, solid core called a white dwarf
- This then cools down into a black dwarf which will eventually dissappear

FOR STARS BIGGER THAN OUR SUN:
- These swell and cool to become a red super giant
- THey will start to glow brightly again as they undergo more fusion & will expand and contract several times forming elements as heavy as iron
- Eventually it will explode in a supernova forming elements heavier than iron and ejecting them forming new planets/stars
- The supernova ejects its outer layers of dust and gas leaving a very dense core called a neutron star
- If the star is big enough it will turn into a black hole

So the first bit of the star process is the same but then it splits up as it turns into a red giant or red super giant. If the question is a 6 marker it will usually ask you to describe the process for only one size of star so you only have to describe one path in that case. Hope that helpls and good luck this afternoon :smile:
How would you all react if a six marker on Total Internal Reflection showed up?
Reply 572
Original post by RotomGuy
How would you all react if a six marker on Total Internal Reflection showed up?

if one student dies in the exam, everyone automatically passes.
Original post by thurs001.310
what is meant why the number of neutrons? Is it the mass number?

(not sure if its been answered already but whatever) its the atomic number minus the mass number
does anyone else feel like crying about this exam
Original post by electrahearts

No, because "Life is Tough. But even tougher when you're stupid" - John Wayne
Reply 576
Original post by electrahearts

Me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spnlove
So first dust and gas spiral together due to gravity forming a protostar. Then the kinetic energy of this is turned into heat energy and nuclear fusion begins to take place (hydrogen atoms fuse to make helium). This has now formed a star and it's called a main sequence star, it remains a main sequence star for millions of years as it''s stable. This is because the outward pressure from the fusion balances the inward force of gravity. Eventually though the hydrogen will begin to run out and then heavier elements such as iron are formed through nuclear fusion of helium. After this what happens to the star depends on it's size:

FOR STARS THE SAME SIZE AS OUR SUN:
- They swell and cool to turn into a red giant.
- This will become unstable and it will eject it's outer layer of dust and gas as a planetary nebula
- When it does this it leaves behind a hot, dense, solid core called a white dwarf
- This then cools down into a black dwarf which will eventually dissappear

FOR STARS BIGGER THAN OUR SUN:
- These swell and cool to become a red super giant
- THey will start to glow brightly again as they undergo more fusion & will expand and contract several times forming elements as heavy as iron
- Eventually it will explode in a supernova forming elements heavier than iron and ejecting them forming new planets/stars
- The supernova ejects its outer layers of dust and gas leaving a very dense core called a neutron star
- If the star is big enough it will turn into a black hole

So the first bit of the star process is the same but then it splits up as it turns into a red giant or red super giant. If the question is a 6 marker it will usually ask you to describe the process for only one size of star so you only have to describe one path in that case. Hope that helpls and good luck this afternoon :smile:

thank you!
How do you work out deceleration!? Please answer quickly as I need to leave soon, thank you!
Original post by Adwad

Considering it's AQA I wouldn't bet on it tho

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending