The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lulupixie
Yeah I was like that too, trying to look for something i could hopefully get some method marks somewhere...half of the time i just went round and round in circles! :unimpressed::angry:

Oh my I totally agree, UGH. wwhyuyyYyyy. :angry: Whats your next exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Based

on the comments of reputable users,
polling (and allowing for skew)

I am estimating 58/75 for 80UMS

(estimating 71 for full UMS)

come and vote on
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3343941
over 500 students have already voted!
Original post by IDValour
My answers (as far as I remember):
Q1) 1024 - 1280x + 720x^2
2.a) (x-2)^2 + (y+1)^2 = 20
b) x - 2y - 14 = 0
3.a) B-A = 48 (show that)
b) A = -96, B = -48
c) 3(2x+1)(x+4)(x-4)
4.a) Used cosine rule to show = 0.906
b) 40.9
c) 96.7
5.a) r = 8/9
b) a = 18
c) n = 28
6.a) 4x^5/2 - 10x^2 + C
b) 226
7.i) 0.264 (Vague memory of this)
ii) y = 3/2 and y = 1/3
8.i) pi/9, 4pi/9, 7pi/9
ii.a) k = 1+- sqrt (1+16k) / 8
ii.b) x = 0, 138.6, 221.4
9.a) Show that question (find h from value for V sub into formula for SA)
b) C = £483
c) d^2C/dr^2 = 12pi + 600/r^3 is greater than 0 as r = cube root 25 ---> Minimum

Uh for 8)i) i belive you only considered +1/2 and not -1/2
Original post by edwardsheeran
What was the actual equation for the integration question (finding the shaded area on the graph)?

10x(x^1/2 - 2)
Someone send me the paper please? or put it up?
Original post by stardust22
I think it's gonna be very different because I did physics unit 1 ocr and it was nothing like the past papers!

Cry cry cry
Original post by PotatoCrums
Nope sorry

really dude? you really felt the need to reply that!!!!!!!!!! im sitting here contemplating my life choices and your there all like that, wow just wow.
There's a strange thing about exams. They always get easier between the time that students do them for real and the time that next year's students do the same paper for revision purposes. The paper that seemed so hard to someone taking it for real, seems just like any other paper when future students use it for practice.It is natural to find the real thing harder than revision papers - it matters to you in a quite different way. Because you are worried about it, you come out of the exam remembering every single mark that you might have lost. You spend ages niggling about something that might possibly have cost you 2 marks, and ignore all the things that you got right.
The first thing to do is calm down! Once the exam is finished, it's past history and there is nothing whatsoever that you can do about it until the results come out. In my time as Head of Chemistry, I went to a lot of conferences about teaching chemistry. I can only remember one thing about any of them! Someone said: "If you've got a problem that you can't solve, it isn't a problem - it's a fact. So there's no point in worrying about it."
In other words, it is only worth worrying about things that you can do anything about.
Even if your exam was truly hard, that really doesn't matter - as long as everybody else found it hard as well. If you were the only person to find it hard, that's different - that's definitely not good news!
Exams always vary in difficulty - it's impossible to set papers of exactly the same degree of difficulty year on year, and so there are procedures in place to compensate for that.
The mark that you score on a given paper is very unlikely to be the mark that is actually reported to you to determine your grade. If the paper turns out to be harder than normal, the pass mark for a given grade is lowered. If it is easier than normal, the pass mark for that same grade will be made higher. Marks will be scaled - so that on a hard paper, a raw score of, say, 64% could produce a score reported to you as, say, 81% - probably an A if you are doing a UK-based A level. You will have lost more than a third of the marks on the paper, but if it was a genuinely hard paper you can still get a grade A.
I can remember my students coming out of a physical chemistry exam years ago - several of them in tears because it was so difficult. Later the same day they did an organic chemistry paper which they were pleased with. But when the marks were released, many of them seemed to have scored more highly on the harder paper than the easier one - because the marks were adjusted to allow for the difference in difficulty.
Every year in the UK journalists and political commentators get themselves worked up because some examiners (often maths!) have allowed people to pass with about 15% and get a grade A with about 30%. It's no big deal - the examiner that set the paper simply got it wrong and made it too difficult. It would have been totally unfair to fail everybody for something which wasn't their fault. Life's like that - examiners are just people who can make mistakes like all the rest of us. I'm not suggesting that extreme cases like this are welcome or even acceptable but, if they do happen, there are procedures in place for sorting out the mess.

(something I found to make me feel a lttle better)
What was the actual equation for the integration question (finding the shaded area on the graph)?

might be wrong but I think it was 10x^3/2 -20x
Original post by boyyo
How is evryone saying this was an easy paper:frown: its harder than most of the past papers

Again I think its only harder under exam conditions, + all the A2 students my self included will drive the grade boundaries up.
Honestly when you do A2 even if you're averaging at a C in A2 you should be able to hit 90+ in C1 and C2.

Topics like Logs, and Trig get a whole lot harder in C3, to the point where a 5 mark C2 trig question, in C3 will only be 2 or 3 marks.
Original post by кяя
Guys if I got about 62/75 in C1, 35-40/75 (top kek) in C2 and get a perfect 75/75 in S1 how likely is it I get an A overall?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's mathematically impossible :frown:
Even if I said 62 was 90 ums in c1
Original post by Sparkzzite
Uh for 8)i) i belive you only considered +1/2 and not -1/2

What do you mean exactly?

sin 3x - root 3 cos 3x = 0

so sin 3x = root 3 cos 3x

tan 3x = root 3

and from there you get the solutions I gave.
Original post by frozo123
Everyone on this thread who think an A would be below 60 is deluded
and 100ums will be 74 at the lowest

As I said it's highly unlikely, it is also highly unlikely that an A will be below 60 but we can only hope for the sake of everyone else :smile:
Original post by NickLCFC
Is it just me that found 5a to be the hardest question?

I found it so hard!

y=10x(x^1/2 + 20), as far as I can remember :colondollar:

by the way, I have a habit of memorizing all my answers at the end of the exam when they are taking the papers from us, so I can check with my friends afterwards. anybody does the same thing? :punk: it's like practising your short term memory at the same time lolol
Original post by marsbar135
There's a strange thing about exams. They always get easier between the time that students do them for real and the time that next year's students do the same paper for revision purposes. The paper that seemed so hard to someone taking it for real, seems just like any other paper when future students use it for practice.It is natural to find the real thing harder than revision papers - it matters to you in a quite different way. Because you are worried about it, you come out of the exam remembering every single mark that you might have lost. You spend ages niggling about something that might possibly have cost you 2 marks, and ignore all the things that you got right.
The first thing to do is calm down! Once the exam is finished, it's past history and there is nothing whatsoever that you can do about it until the results come out. In my time as Head of Chemistry, I went to a lot of conferences about teaching chemistry. I can only remember one thing about any of them! Someone said: "If you've got a problem that you can't solve, it isn't a problem - it's a fact. So there's no point in worrying about it."
In other words, it is only worth worrying about things that you can do anything about.
Even if your exam was truly hard, that really doesn't matter - as long as everybody else found it hard as well. If you were the only person to find it hard, that's different - that's definitely not good news!
Exams always vary in difficulty - it's impossible to set papers of exactly the same degree of difficulty year on year, and so there are procedures in place to compensate for that.
The mark that you score on a given paper is very unlikely to be the mark that is actually reported to you to determine your grade. If the paper turns out to be harder than normal, the pass mark for a given grade is lowered. If it is easier than normal, the pass mark for that same grade will be made higher. Marks will be scaled - so that on a hard paper, a raw score of, say, 64% could produce a score reported to you as, say, 81% - probably an A if you are doing a UK-based A level. You will have lost more than a third of the marks on the paper, but if it was a genuinely hard paper you can still get a grade A.
I can remember my students coming out of a physical chemistry exam years ago - several of them in tears because it was so difficult. Later the same day they did an organic chemistry paper which they were pleased with. But when the marks were released, many of them seemed to have scored more highly on the harder paper than the easier one - because the marks were adjusted to allow for the difference in difficulty.
Every year in the UK journalists and political commentators get themselves worked up because some examiners (often maths!) have allowed people to pass with about 15% and get a grade A with about 30%. It's no big deal - the examiner that set the paper simply got it wrong and made it too difficult. It would have been totally unfair to fail everybody for something which wasn't their fault. Life's like that - examiners are just people who can make mistakes like all the rest of us. I'm not suggesting that extreme cases like this are welcome or even acceptable but, if they do happen, there are procedures in place for sorting out the mess.

You must like essays ...
:smile:
Original post by marsbar135

*sorry for the long post, figure out the emf of a potato
Original post by AA10743
Attachment not found
Hope you can see this picture on how the solution to how to write cos(x) in terms of k.
Pretty sure i got 100% in that paper but trust me when I tell you that's one of the hardest C2 papers I've seen, and I've done them all

Awh dam i just put cosx (4cosx -1) = k

OOPS :frown: :frown: how many marks was this question do you remember?
Reply 2759
How many marks was question 5 and 8

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending