The Student Room Group

Just received application decision - only got £5k loan?!

Hi,

I received decision and it only shows that I will get £9000 tuition fee loan and £5000 maintenance loan.

I am a EU student living in the UK for 3 years. At first I lived 1.5 years at my uncle's family and another 1.5 years on my own. I live on my own at the moment now as well.

I applied as UK student. In the form I filled that I have no contact with my parents, because I receive no financial support from them. My parents never lived and don't live in the UK. As I selected that I have no contact with my parents, SFE didn't need neither my income, neither my parent's.

Today I saw that I received decision and I only get tuition fee loan + maintenance loan. However, there is no grant and no extra amount of loan (I will be studying in London).

Can I do something to solve this? I found out that maintenance grant is income based, but I don't live on my own for 3 years yet, only 1.5 years. So who's income would I need to show? Parents'?

Can I call SFE to ask to review my application?
Hi there.

We would normally need your parent's income to award you any grants. If you can't provide these we would need evidence to show you are estranged and have no contact from your parents. Evidence is normally a letter from a professional person such as a GP, lecturer, etc who is aware of the situation and can explain the situation.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by Mark Lee - SFE Official Adviser
Hi there.

We would normally need your parent's income to award you any grants. If you can't provide these we would need evidence to show you are estranged and have no contact from your parents. Evidence is normally a letter from a professional person such as a GP, lecturer, etc who is aware of the situation and can explain the situation.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

There is my personal tutor in college who knows about my situation, because I had some financial difficulties before. I can ask her to write a letter which confirms that. What does the tutor need to include in the letter?
What do I need to do after that? Where to send the letter and what do write so SFE would know what it is for?

Also, what about extra maintenance loan for London university?

Thank you
Reply 3
Hi there.

Thanks.

Do you know anything about the extra money if the university is in London? Thanks!
Hi there.

Your tutor would need to explain the situation with both parents and why you are estranged/have no contact with them. The address for correspondence is:

Student finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Students who study in London can be eligible for a loan of up to £8,000. Students who get a maintenance grant will not get this maximum amount.

Thanks.
Reply 5
Hi there.

Your tutor would need to explain the situation with both parents and why you are estranged/have no contact with them. The address for correspondence is:

Student finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Students who study in London can be eligible for a loan of up to £8,000. Students who get a maintenance grant will not get this maximum amount.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you again. Do you know why my student loan is £5k if the university is in London?

Thanks
Hi there.

Because you don't seem to have an income based assessment. Students can't get the maximum loan without this.

Thanks
Reply 7
Hi there.

Because you don't seem to have an income based assessment. Students can't get the maximum loan without this.

Thanks

Hi again.

My tutor made me a letter and we sent it to Student Finance England. The letter explained that I am living on my own, I have no contact with my parents and no one supports me financially. I received a reply saying that it is not enough and they need more info. They say they want an evidence that I am estranged from my parents and explain how and why. So what do I have to do now if the previous letter wasn't enough? What kind of evidence do they want?
Hi, daryZ.

The letter has to be clear and explain the situation with both parents and the reasons for estrangement. We can't advise on what's missing from the letter without seeing it so you'll have to call us on 0300 100 0607 where an adviser can check why this wasn't sufficient.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending