The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

Ophthalmic Dispensing at City University 2013

Hey, just thought i should make a thread for the people studying opthalmic dispensing at city uni this September. Can't seem to find anyone on the facebook pages who are doing the course :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Heyy, I'll be studying Ophthalmic Dispensing too this September :smile:.. Can't wait! Has anybody heard from City since being made an offer?
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi, could have some advice from you guys.... well I am looking to do Ophthalmic Dispensing too I will be applying this October.. Well I believe you guys must have done better research done me are you guys doing this to get into optometry?? Is there a good chance to get into optometry?? I want to do optometry but I am predicted BBC BUT optometry IS like AAB OR AAA... do you guys think this course would be good for me to get into optometry later on..?? Please could you help.. any advice will help me very much
Original post by ratu12
Hi, could have some advice from you guys.... well I am looking to do Ophthalmic Dispensing too I will be applying this October.. Well I believe you guys must have done better research done me are you guys doing this to get into optometry?? Is there a good chance to get into optometry?? I want to do optometry but I am predicted BBC BUT optometry IS like AAB OR AAA... do you guys think this course would be good for me to get into optometry later on..?? Please could you help.. any advice will help me very much

yeah its good if you want to do Optometry at City.
Check also City and Islington college which offers the same type of degree but was historically much cheaper ( I dont know if that has changed since the increase in fees)
Don't think its a done deal because at the end of your 2 years you will enter into competition with AAA/B level students.
And in general the uni prefers smart straight from A level guys as they generally do better during the BSc course than Opht Dispensing students...
If you want other unis they also offer 1 year (vs 2 y at City) Foundation course which can lead to Optometry Bsc the year after. There again you have to work hard.
You may want to retake your A levels which I think is the cheapest option ?
What are the chances of getting into Optometry from Opthalmic Dispensing, as I don't think I may have done well enough to get the grades that I required for Optometry.
Reply 5
Hey :smile:, I've just completed a year of Ophthalmic Dispensing, so maybe my advice could be of some use to you. Before I had started the course I thought that by completing and passing the two years would lead me straight into Optometry. But that is not the case, instead you would need to complete the two years and gain a minimum of 75% overall, and then reapply via UCAS to study Optometry and hope to get into the second year, if there are enough spaces available (hence if quite a few students dropped out the first year, there would be places available for OD students to join). However, there are only around 12 spaces reserved for OD students to join the second year. So if your application is not successful in that case, you may be offered a place in the first year of Optometry instead. Although it is a competitive field and only a certain number of spaces are reserved on the BSc in Optometry for OD students, its very much possible. All you need to ensure is that you work hard from the very beginning and get the best possible grades to secure a place on the Optometry degree. Hope this was helpful, if you'd like to know anything else about the course etc, feel free to message me.
Hey! thanks for helping out! Um so would you say it is worth doing the opthalmic dispensing course and then optometry at city, or do you think i should apply for a different degree through clearing? Also do you know anything about optometry through clearing? :/ Thanks again :smile:)
Original post by princessBG
Hey! thanks for helping out! Um so would you say it is worth doing the opthalmic dispensing course and then optometry at city, or do you think i should apply for a different degree through clearing? Also do you know anything about optometry through clearing? :/ Thanks again :smile:)

I've always seen optometry in clearing. You may be lucky and get a chance to apply through clearing :smile: its in extra this year too.
Oh thats great! I just need to get the grades ;( do you know which unis offer it through clearing(usually)? Thankkss:smile: x
Oh thats great! I just need to get the grades ;( do you know which unis offer it through clearing(usually)? Thankkss:smile: x

City does offer both optometry and ophthalmic dispensing. hopefully they will offer it this year too. :smile:
you can check by going onto the ucas course search. The website shows you which unis and courses are in extra.

where have you applied and for which course? :smile:
Original post by Trisha10001
City does offer both optometry and ophthalmic dispensing. hopefully they will offer it this year too. :smile:
you can check by going onto the ucas course search. The website shows you which unis and courses are in extra.

where have you applied and for which course? :smile:

Thats great! I dont have the grades atm which is why i'm applying to do opthalmic dispensing at city(i got an offer but it's for 2 years of dispensing and then 2 years of optom after which is 4 years in total! :frown: ) :L
Thats great! I dont have the grades atm which is why i'm applying to do opthalmic dispensing at city(i got an offer but it's for 2 years of dispensing and then 2 years of optom after which is 4 years in total! :frown: ) :L

Oh I thought you can only do 2 years of optom after having achieved 75% on all the sections from your dispensing course.
What did city say ?
Oh I thought you can only do 2 years of optom after having achieved 75% on all the sections from your dispensing course.
What did city say ?

Yep thats the problem :frown: It's too long
Yep thats the problem :frown: It's too long

Did city send you an email ?
About what? Why?

Did city send you an email ?
About what? Why?

Cos you said you were offered 4years optom ?
Nooo 2 years of dispensing and then 2 years of optom if i do well and get above 75% in the 2 years of dispensing Lol
Nooo 2 years of dispensing and then 2 years of optom if i do well and get above 75% in the 2 years of dispensing Lol

ooh right my bad :tongue:
If you do your best and work hard from the beginning you will able to get into 2 years optom after dispensing degree. :smile:
Could you apply for ophthalmic dispensing at city through adjustment/clearing? will there be spaces or is it very limited?
ooh right my bad :tongue:
If you do your best and work hard from the beginning you will able to get into 2 years optom after dispensing degree. :smile:

Haha it's ok! Yeah i'll try :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending