The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by particlestudent
Going by last years UMS, I need 70 UMS in S1 to get an A overall:s-smilie:. But yeah I am aiming for 70+ in S1

70 UMS isn't 70 marks, so you should be able to get that easily going by your other scores. Unless you're not as good in S1?
Original post by Boundless_x
Remember grade boundaries aren't always 80% often they're around 85% for an A :tongue:

Ok thanks. I think I made my life much easier though with my C1 grade:biggrin:
Original post by lukejoshjames
70 UMS isn't 70 marks, so you should be able to get that easily going by your other scores. Unless you're not as good in S1?

I meant 70UMS in S1 to get an A (240 UMS in total) overall. And then I meant I'm just gonna aim for 70+ anyways.

S1 and C1 are the same for me. But I've found C2 to be my better subject and look how that turned out
Original post by particlestudent
Ok thanks. I think I made my life much easier though with my C1 grade:biggrin:

Same, the only place I lost marks in C1 was for not simplifying so I took 3 marks off 75 as I don't know how harsh they'll be with the marking. Really want an A overall :smile:
Go 65 in C1 and 55 in C2, how much is the minimum I need in S1 to get an A?
Original post by nishofficial
Go 65 in C1 and 55 in C2, how much is the minimum I need in S1 to get an A?

Yh I got the same as you, pretty sure we would need 70/75 atleast
Original post by JustDynamite
Yh I got the same as you, pretty sure we would need 70/75 atleast

Thats tough, I hate S1. Have done very few past papers so far :s-smilie:
Original post by nishofficial
Thats tough, I hate S1. Have done very few past papers so far :s-smilie:

Same I have that problem too need full ums

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aerosmith
I did an alternative method for the logs question and got the same answers of y = 3/2 and y = 1/3. Will this score full marks? image.jpg

Can someone answer me sensibly on this?

Yes it will as you are essentially doing the same thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't done any S1 papers.. I've got 10 days though to do M1 and S1 papers , I think that's reasonable considering I did 8 papers in a day before
Guys, figuring out cosx=1 but didn't get the right angle will cost me how many marks?
Can't believe I made a really stupid mistake again lol
Original post by frozo123
It's mathematically impossible :frown:
Even if I said 62 was 90 ums in c1

I don't give a **** about UMS since where I'm going don't look at it but they do look at As. Now that o look at the unofficial mark scheme I think I did okay anyway so hopefully ill get an A overall.
I did exactly the same thing, i dont know why it wouldnt score full marks... its how they taught me to takle these types of questions

I did this. It's imo the best way to do it and applies relevant knowledge from c1 and c2. I would be surprised if this wasn't in the mark scheme

Edit: just checked Arseys Mark scheme. This is exactly what he did.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rebeecccaahh
im not even sure i replied this or not, are you prepared for f211?

I think haha ? :// Need to do more revision though. You?
Queries:
-Would I still gain marks for putting (3x+12) as a factor rather than taking the 3 out, it didn't occur to me that taking it out would be optimal but my answer still works.
- I was correct to put my quadratic of cos(x) into a formula (I used the quadratic formula, but completing the square was just as good), but I messed up that after what I think was getting rid of a 1 somewhere, would I still get 2/3 marks for getting up to that stage with the 1-sin^2(x) etc?

Assuming the answer to both of these is yes, I think I've been able to get 74/75, but I'm happy enough (not really, was hoping for 100%) with atleast 72.
For question 3)c), the factorising f(x) question, is it valid to factorise
(2x+1) (3x^2-48) using the difference of two squares into:
(2x+1)(xroot3-root48) (xroot3+root48)?
Original post by Craig1998
Queries:
-Would I still gain marks for putting (3x+12) as a factor rather than taking the 3 out, it didn't occur to me that taking it out would be optimal but my answer still works.
- I was correct to put my quadratic of cos(x) into a formula (I used the quadratic formula, but completing the square was just as good), but I messed up that after what I think was getting rid of a 1 somewhere, would I still get 2/3 marks for getting up to that stage with the 1-sin^2(x) etc?

Assuming the answer to both of these is yes, I think I've been able to get 74/75, but I'm happy enough (not really, was hoping for 100%) with atleast 72.

You'll probably lose one mark for each
I'm pretty confident of 100 UMS in Core 1, bombed on this paper though, worst case scenario 54/75, looking more like 60/75 though tbh. Got to smash stats now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending